• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC plans to start hosting grading contests on a regular basis!
10 10

129 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 11/24/2021 at 11:46 PM, eddly said:

Definitely mixed. I wouldn’t limit prizes to just the top 2 to 5 (distribution of donated prizes). Typically there are enough donations for every participant.

It seems most everyone is in favor of mixed age books for each contest.  I would like to hear more thoughts about how the donated prizes should be distributed.  

On 11/25/2021 at 6:34 AM, CGC Mike said:

It seems most everyone is in favor of mixed age books for each contest.  I would like to hear more thoughts about how the donated prizes should be distributed.  

We shouldn't limit it to the top winners. We should count how many prizes there are, then 1st place gets first pick and so on until we run out of prizes.

That way we don't discourage people from wanting to donate a prize. If everyone donated, essentially everyone would get a prize depending on how well they did in the contest. We just shouldn't make donating a prize mandatory!

That way if someone is new and wants to test how well they grade or place, they can wait to donate a prize until the next contest. Especially if we're going to do 4 contest's a year, as hinted at.

On 11/25/2021 at 6:51 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

We shouldn't limit it to the top winners. We should count how many prizes there are, then 1st place gets first pick and so on until we run out of prizes.

That way we don't discourage people from wanting to donate a prize. If everyone donated, essentially everyone would get a prize depending on how well they did in the contest. We just shouldn't make donating a prize mandatory!

That way if someone is new and wants to test how well they grade or place, they can wait to donate a prize until the next contest. Especially if we're going to do 4 contest's a year, as hinted at.

That's how we did it in the boards run contest.

• Administrator
On 11/25/2021 at 7:51 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I am leaning towards this format as well, seems that's the way it was done in the past.  Just to be clear, CGC is issuing a grand prize to the first place winner.  So, does the prize picking from other donated prizes start with 1st place or 2nd place?  What does everyone think?

On 11/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, CGC Mike said:

I am leaning towards this format as well, seems that's the way it was done in the past.  Just to be clear, CGC is issuing a grand prize to the first place winner.  So, does the prize picking from other donated prizes start with 1st place or 2nd place?  What does everyone think?

Umm that's up for debate. If 2nd gets first pick at prizes donated, I think first and second place would be cool enough to place, and if it came down to a tie/tie breaker it would be fair. But that's just my opinion lol

And if the second place were to want a prize donated rather than credit because they have nothing currently to sub, then that would be great as well.

I may be underestimating the boards, but prizes donated 4times a year from the 4 grading contests, pickings may be slim.

So to start off with 2nd place picking might ensure more people have a chance to win etc.

My closing opinion lol

On 11/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, CGC Mike said:

I think the first place winner should pick first with the donated prizes on top of getting the grand prize.
An extra benefit to being first place.

On 11/25/2021 at 11:09 AM, kav said:

The top scorer gets his pick of the prizes.  If he doesnt want what CGC offers, he is free to pick something else.  On down the line for 2nd place 3rd etc.

You probably have to do it this way, as a "donated" prize may be more valuable to a winner than whatever CGC is offering, plus which some entrants don't submit books for grading in the first place so a credit is worthless.

This would be more fun if it was 2 or 3 books at a time over multiple rounds in order to build more suspense (moving up and down the rankings after each round). This creates more banter for the community. Then having your “playoff” round as you suggested (some players eliminated). I appreciate that this translates to more effort.

Perhaps 4 contests a year is too much… 2 a year probably works better as it builds anticipation for the next contest and doesn’t demand as much for donations.

On 11/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, eddly said:

This would be more fun if it was 2 or 3 books at a time over multiple rounds in order to build more suspense (moving up and down the rankings after each round). This creates more banter for the community. Then having your “playoff” round as you suggested (some players eliminated). I appreciate that this translates to more effort.

Perhaps 4 contests a year is too much… 2 a year probably works better as it builds anticipation for the next contest and doesn’t demand as much for donations.

I kinda like the Hail Mary approach of 15 grades at once :insane:

Doing a large number of books at once is similar to what was done for the seeding round of the March Madness head -to-head Grading Contests. That’s how we determined #1 through 16 seeds. 

It’s a lot easier to handle administratively.

On 11/25/2021 at 6:34 AM, CGC Mike said:

Priority mail.  

Thank you, I'm here all week..