• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Official Holiday Raffle Thread - Join by 12/21 or Go Pound Sand!!!
19 19

1,714 posts in this topic

I've never recieved a gift worth nearly as much as the stuff I give, but who cares.  I'm generally giving away items I've had for years but to me the fun is puting together the stuff to send, not opening what I get. I do wish some people would put more thought into it. One year I wrote I was interested in any thing Avengers and recieved a brand new Peanuts hardcover. 

You guys are going to make me feel guilty for my Lightly Used Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Volume 12!  

I was going to tell whoever picks it that if (for some unfathomable reason) they don't actually want it, I would add the cost of whatever it would normally be to ship it to them wherever they are to the Amazon card.

I would give up a real comic, I would.  Except I'm still too attached. Even to the junky ones.  And I'm real attached to the ones that would make actual nice prizes. 

Maybe next year I'll be emotionally ready.  

Maybe.  

On 12/10/2021 at 12:27 PM, Axelrod said:

You guys are going to make me feel guilty for my Lightly Used Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Volume 12!  

I was going to tell whoever picks it that if (for some unfathomable reason) they don't actually want it, I would add the cost of whatever it would normally be to ship it to them wherever they are to the Amazon card.

I would give up a real comic, I would.  Except I'm still too attached. Even to the junky ones.  And I'm real attached to the ones that would make actual nice prizes. 

Maybe.  

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=peanuts+linus+christmas+speech&sid=16A761EF30D06A8901EF70E7312B6BFC&jsoncbid=0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dpeanuts%2blinus%2bchristmas%2bspeech%26FORM%3dR5FD4%26sid%3d16A761EF30D06A8901EF70E7312B6BFC%26format%3dsnrjson%26jsoncbid%3d0&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=7DFD9D6950BADBC9B2197DFD9D6950BADBC9B219&FORM=WRVORC

Edited by shadroch

On 12/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, fmaz said:

First of all, obviously I was just making a joke (obviously it wasn’t as funny as I thought (my wife tells me that all the time… I continue not to believe her) and know that for some people they have many reasons why they wouldn’t want to join us for these community events…

but secondly, I think this event and Secret Santa too, is primarily about the giving… and most people embrace that in amazing ways. And yeah, what is “generous” for one person may seem paltry for another… but the situation you mention up above, and you’ve been here since 2018 so obviously it only happened in the last few years, is awful and sadly sounds like someone trying to take advantage of the system.  I certainly hope that is something that is by far the exception and not the rule.  It’s awful you experienced that and I’m so glad it hasn’t stopped you from still being a part of all this.

I never participated before but i believe none of us is in the same financial state.for some its the best they can give and we should appreciate it and there are some that do it on purpose and im talking in general not on the raffle.and sometimes you may think its garbage for you and a few month later you realize what they really gave you and say hey now i get it!Nice!as said more or less like this by @Bird in annother thread:cheers:

Edited by Namtak

On 12/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, Ares said:

There are always good reasons.

I did not participate for tow years after my mother passed. Just did not feel like it.

Feel like nothing tow contribute,

Some may not like the pressure to contribute

I too did not participate last year for the same reason, due to my mother's passing I just wasn't feeling it.

Very sorry for your loss..

On 12/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, Axelrod said:

Maybe.  

I actually think your gift is comical and absolutely nothing wrong with what you have offered up.

I do this simply for the enjoyment, nothing more, nothing less.  I hope everyone does the same.

So many cool things from so many different people.  Just like Mr. Gump, the raffle is like a box of chocolates......

@s-man and @Ares I am very sorry for your losses.  I have been in your shoes, if you ever need to talk, my PMs are always open, always.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, wombat said:

I always pick things up during the year in thinking I can add that to my raffle gift. Heck, I bought something on the boards 2 days ago that will either go in this year's gift or next year. 

Thank you again for the wonderful raffle gift last year!

:luhv:

He's bona fide!

On 12/10/2021 at 12:50 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

My Mom fell to the floor last Sunday at church and an ambulance ride. Low Blood pressure seems to have been the cause due to a new medication. It did "scare my dad", and everything seems ok now; although, having come so close unexpectedly..... My thoughts an prayers are with those who have had surprises of this nature or even may have seen it coming.
There is always healing, and I pray those who seek, find (thumbsu  

I'm sorry to hear this. It's quite a shock when someone you love breaks down. This past October I passed out in a public restroom and lacerated my forehead so bad I woke up in a pool of my own blood. Thank God I had a trainee with me who went to check on me or I would have died there. He took me to the E.R. quickly. My blood pressure was under 60, when it's supposed to be over 120. I was dying . The doctors found out that I passed out due to Covid, and was put in the hospital for 14 days.

I shattered my left eye socket, broke my nose, and surgery on my face.

Funny thing is I was vaccinated.  So everyone who thinks they cant get covid after being vaccinated better think twice.