• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roy Lichtenstein Comic List
9 9

106 posts in this topic

So....it took me a lot of digging through GCD, comic book plus etc. to find out which books were which, and even after a few years its been pretty tough finding these in decent shape.

The big four, and the only ones with an OPG citation thus far that im aware of are Secret Hearts 83 (which is the source for Drowning Girl and Hopeless) and Girls' Romances 105 (source for Sleeping Girl), also All American Men of War 89 and 90.

To me the next Biggest one is the source for the $100,000,000.00+ Masterpiece which is Young Romances V15#2, also the source for I Know How You Must Feel Brad.  This one has a pretty awful cover imo but its all about the panels.

image.png.1f58f6ae0aaef71e6452ddc94c96856c.png

Masterpiece.jpg

I know how you must feel brad.jpg

Edited by szav

A few more for the list:

Young Love v5#6 [31]        The Ring Engagement

Secret Hearts 88-         Oh All Right, Crying Girl

Girls Romances 81-        We Rose up Slowly
Girls Romances 97-         Anxious Girl, Kiss 5, Good Morning Darling

Girls Romances 110 -         m-maybe

Falling In Love 41-        Thinking of Him

Heart Throbs 79                 Sound of Music
Heart Throbs 84            Kiss with Cloud

Man I would love to see a side by side painting/panel/cover array.  with maybe the orig comic artist noted.

Will add a few more later on...need to actually dig them out and verify that I have a few matched up correctly on my list ... its been a while.  But since this is one of my favorite topics and I generally never miss a chance to post these when it's called for....as far as covers go, out of all the Lichtenstein associated comic books even though he didn't rip off the cover, just an interior panel, Girls' Romances 105 is probably my favorite. 

GirlsRomances105cgc75.jpg

SecretHearts83cgc7.jpg

On 11/24/2021 at 10:12 PM, kav said:

gotta say the comic artists draw better.  dang and ol lichy had a larger area to work with too.

Which makes me think he drew that way on purpose. Artists use projectors all the time throwing images up on canvas and tracing. Why not he?

On 11/24/2021 at 7:25 PM, comicnoir said:

Which makes me think he drew that way on purpose. Artists use projectors all the time throwing images up on canvas and tracing. Why not he?

sure thats what he did.  his tracing skills werent top notch tho.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, Aman619 said:

he wasn't trying to recreate the panels perfectly....

so he wanted them to look worse?  more poorly drawn?  I dont buy that.

I've dealt with artists who would say "I could have drawn it better but I wanted it to look like that".  Maybe liefeld even says that.

Appreciate the info, have been trying to put together a complete list as well.  There are way more of these than most people are aware of, ol' Roy seems to have found dipping into funny books really percolated the inspirado ...

I think I can add

Strange Suspense Stories #72 ("Brushstrokes 1")

I also have Our Fighting Forces #66 on my list but don't own the book and don't know what painting it is supposed to have "inspired", so not sure if that is a real one or not?

Edited by kazoo