• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roy Lichtenstein Comic List
9 9

106 posts in this topic

man I hope some motivated boardie does a complete side by side with artists names.  It deserves to exist somewhere.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:54 PM, kav said:

hell one could make a book abt this.

David Barsalou should be the one to do it and reap the benefit.  He did most of the work already.  He has/had a group on Facebook at one point...not sure if its still an active group.

https://www.ifitshipitshere.com/david-barsalous-deconstructing-roy-lichtenstein/

On 11/24/2021 at 8:56 PM, szav said:

David Barsalou should be the one to do it and reap the benefit.  He did most of the work already.  He has/had a group on Facebook at one point...not sure if its still an active group.

https://www.ifitshipitshere.com/david-barsalous-deconstructing-roy-lichtenstein/

Looks like its alive:

https://www.facebook.com/david.barsalou

On 11/24/2021 at 8:27 PM, kav said:

people think its easy to trace.  its not.  ask @Artboy99

no it takes skill to successfully trace. my customers that request recreations expect to receive completed pages that resemble the originals as closely as possible hence why I light box as part of the process.

Lichtenstein was creating art that captured moments in graphical form, anatomy wasnt as important.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:42 PM, szav said:

Oh boy here we go...he was elevating the mundane?... hah...this discussion has been had before.......

lol   I know you guys don't like these comments, but youre coming at it from a very narrow comics only point of view. Theres a larger world out there, the art world specifically.  Where ideas are as important as the techniques. (Frankly I think his technical skills in enlarging the panels with paint and brushes is pretty noteworthy... there was no affordable technology available to a painter then to just enlarge the panels like we see all the time now in comics history trade books.  Seeing the linework and dots 100 times larger than we did in the comics is powerful. Who was doing that?  In the early 60s the world was waking up from the post WW2 slumber of the Eisenhower decade.  Everything out there was being reimagined and explored. 

but anyway, I know this is all artsy faartsy gobbledygook cause the guy stole someone else images, dammet.... and he should be sued for it.  Seriously  do you all REALLY think these panels were THAT well drawn??? seriously? We aren't talking Frazetta panels! just the usual 6 to a $35 page rate of deadline-induced work for hire, get the check, hope for the next assignment, rinse and repeat.  Its great to worship these guys work cause we love the comics medium.  But dont tar and feather the guy who takes it to another level, and with dealer hype, sets them off on a journey to where they are world famous images that resonate with people around the world and are worth millions decades later.  Lichty didnt get that money!  He sold them right away and was happy to have sales.... 

Edited by Aman619

On 11/24/2021 at 8:14 PM, Artboy99 said:

no it takes skill to successfully trace. my customers that request recreations expect to receive completed pages that resemble the originals as closely as possible hence why I light box as part of the process.

Lichtenstein was creating art that captured moments in graphical form, anatomy wasnt as important.

I've tried to teach people to trace.  Their efforts are horrific.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, kav said:

I've tried to teach people to trace.  Their efforts are horrific.

you have to be skilled at art and drawing to make an excellent tracing effort. Have to know how to copy the line weight and duplicate the type of stroke of the original art. Otherwise the tracing will look terrible

On 11/24/2021 at 8:22 PM, Artboy99 said:

you have to be skilled at art and drawing to make an excellent tracing effort. Have to know how to copy the line weight and duplicate the type of stroke of the original art. Otherwise the tracing will look terrible

You have to trace, then firm up the image looking at the original.  I dont use a lightbox, just trace off computer screen in dark room.  

On 11/24/2021 at 9:24 PM, kav said:

You have to trace, then firm up the image looking at the original.  I dont use a lightbox, just trace off computer screen in dark room.  

most tracings wont look like the original art, but will have too much of the tracer's own style. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, Aman619 said:

lol   I know you guys don't like these comments, but youre coming at it from a very narrow comics only point of view. Theres a larger world out there, the art world specifically.  Where ideas are as important as the techniques. (Frankly I think his technical skills in enlarging the panels with paint and brushes is pretty noteworthy... there was no affordable technology available to a painter then to just enlarge the panels like we see all the time now in comics history trade books.  Seeing the linework and dots 100 times larger than we did in the comics is powerful. Who was doing that?  In the early 60s the world was waking up from the post WW2 slumber of the Eisenhower decade.  Everything out there was being reimagined and explored. 

but anyway, I know this is all artsy faartsy gobbledygook cause the guy stole someone else images, dammet.... and he should be sued for it.  Seriously  do you all REALLY think these panels were THAT well drawn??? seriously? We aren't talking Frazetta panels! just the usual 6 to a $35 page rate of deadline-induced work for hire, get the check, hope for the next assignment, rinse and repeat.  Its great to worship these guys work cause we love the comics medium.  But dont tar and feather the guy who takes it to another level, and with dealer hype, sets them off on a journey to where they are world famous images that resonate with people around the world and are worth millions decades later.  Lichty didnt get that money!  He sold them right away and was happy to have sales.... 

Yeah we’ve discussed  it before, so no need to relitigate…I suppose it’s possible one could celebrate the work of both Lichtenstein and the artists he ‘borrowed’ from.  
The success and awareness of their respective works is intertwined and really inseparable at this point anyway.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, szav said:

Yeah we’ve discussed  it before, so no need to relitigate…I suppose it’s possible one could celebrate the work of both Lichtenstein and the artists he ‘borrowed’ from.  
The success and awareness of their respective works is intertwined and really inseparable at this point anyway.

I like em both.

On 11/24/2021 at 11:00 PM, kav said:

I like em both.

I do too honestly.  It’s the disparity in recognition and praise, and the dismissive attitude that some have about the comic artist’s importance, that bothers me.  What they first created (or who knows maybe ripped off themselves?)  had a coolness factor that Lichtenstein appropriated to a degree.

Yeah I know I repeat myself.  It’s like a Pavlovian response when I read comments that totally ignore that Lichty has any talent or insight compared to the comic geniuses.  I like the idea that we can like them both.  The underlying issue really of why Lichtenstein is lionized and the comics guys totally forgotten probably comes down to their respective worlds.  One was throwaway “kids junk” however well drawn and conceived.  While the other had the audacity to try to compete in the big money work of “real” art.   So many fail trying to succeed in that world… it’s a lot riskier than “Settling for a steady diet of commercial art.  

also a big difference is comics publishers pay as little as they can to interchangeable talent.  While big time art dealers have an incentive to build up the name recognition of their artists cause it leads to more sales at increasing prices.  Lichty struck a nerve, but the dealers made the sales. Let’s blame THEM for being greedy suckers. 

On 11/24/2021 at 11:14 PM, Aman619 said:

Yeah I know I repeat myself.  It’s like a Pavlovian response when I read comments that totally ignore that Lichty has any talent or insight compared to the comic geniuses.  I like the idea that we can like them both.  The underlying issue really of why Lichtenstein is lionized and the comics guys totally forgotten probably comes down to their respective worlds.  One was throwaway “kids junk” however well drawn and conceived.  While the other had the audacity to try to compete in the big money work of “real” art.   So many fail trying to succeed in that world… it’s a lot riskier than “Settling for a steady diet of commercial art.  

also a big difference is comics publishers pay as little as they can to interchangeable talent.  While big time art dealers have an incentive to build up the name recognition of their artists cause it leads to more sales at increasing prices.  Lichty struck a nerve, but the dealers made the sales. Let’s blame THEM for being greedy suckers. 

Lichty did what any artist does-he took something and expresed it his own way.  he was quite brilliant and lets nor forget he put a lot more work into his paintings with all the dots and also choosing th panels and what part of the panels to use.  Much like a photographer its picking the frame that makes it art.  a flower is just a flower one could argue a photographer is not an artist because they are just 'copying' the flower with film but thats not correct.