• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

St. John Romance Collectors: Help !!!
3 3

32 posts in this topic

My TLP3 begins with Hotel Weekend.  Then, The Sisters (cover story), Erring Husband, Romance By Blackmail, Trouble's Daughter, My Temper Was My Guide, I Was A Good Time Nurse, Broken Date Delusion, For The Love of Mike, Girl On The Loose, My Dates Were Free Trials, A Fool For Him!, Love Can't Be Perfect, and finally Heartless!

On 11/25/2021 at 9:00 PM, Yorick said:

For The Love of Mike

They wrote romance stories about forum moderators?

On 11/25/2021 at 9:03 PM, OtherEric said:

At work, so don’t have time to go through the scan; I’ll just leave this here:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=17520

Cor!

On 11/25/2021 at 1:03 PM, OtherEric said:

At work, so don’t have time to go through the scan; I’ll just leave this here:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=17520

That matches mine.  I guess Ger found a franken-book.  I don't believe that TLP was rebound.  Pictorial Romance giants either.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, Yorick said:

That matches mine.  I guess Ger found a franken-book.  I don't believe that TLP was rebound.  Pictorial Romance giants either.

I vaguely recall hearing about others finding the Authentic Police Cases and other giants with non-standard contents, as well.  So it’s quite possible St. John used leftover covers for remainder giants on a small scale in addition to the regular contents.

@zzutak Any photos?

With the dates as late as Dec 1952, we need to discard any notion that it's a Giant Comics Editions.  We're left with the Diary Secrets NN (no date), and Romance and Confession Stories (no date).  :yeehaw:

On 11/25/2021 at 8:59 AM, zzutak said:

Quite possibly.  The "generic" romance cover (with no specific story titles listed/shown) and date (post-1952) both fit.  All that remains is to find a copy that has the same rebound contents as mine (Diary Secrets #14, Teen-Age Romances #28, and one other as yet undefined issue).  Many thanks!  :foryou:

Now I have to dig out my copy of TLP 4 and see what stories are inside...:frustrated:

On 11/25/2021 at 12:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Is the chunk of the first "book" identifiable in any way?

Unfortunately, no.  All that remains is a thin chunk that's still held by the bottom staple (see first pic) -- which is enough to eliminate the 128-page St. John giants and focus only on their 100-page square-bounds.  (thumbsu

1.thumb.jpg.ced2cd85a422525fd1d33c2abc522379.jpg

On 11/25/2021 at 12:33 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Your book has TAR #28 in it.  Is it definitely a St John story?

Yes.  The second/middle book is Teen-Age Romances #28 (St. John; Dec 1952; 32-pg interior).  The story titles and lengths are an exact match to the GCD entry (Temptress and Trouble-Maker, Penny-Ante Girl, Celebrity Hound, and Too Many Restrictions).  The third/last "book" is Diary Secrets #14 (St. John; Oct 1952; 32-page interior).  The story titles and lengths are an exact match to the GCD entry (Love Challenge, The Risk I Had to Take, Breaking All the Rules, and Foolhardy and Headstrong).

2.thumb.jpg.f088b6e03603604ca75837535fb22c5c.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.06fcfaebef4bb8e0e664f05e894bb7a3.jpg