• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Black Jack Tarr decided to buy Silver Warrior OA by Frank Frazetta

9 posts in this topic

That's a good catch noticing the nod to Frazetta. I remember reading a comic in the eighties where they referenced my local comic shop in Las Vegas Page After Page. Always cool to find these references but ones pertaining to Frazetta, Kirby etc. are always special.

Well, not to spoil the Mike Zeck exhibit currently at Ringling College in Sarasota, FL (https://www.ringlingcollege.gallery/zeck), but this piece is on display there.  This is Zeck's version of the famous Frazetta painting.  I didn't realize the painting was introduced into the storyline by Craig the year before.  Interesting to see both artists' tribute to Frazetta.  Frazetta was one of the artists that inspired Zeck early in his career. 

MOKF72p16.jpg

Edited by comiconxion

I believe I was first exposed through the derivative Rumple Minze ad campaign which ran in Rolling Stone in the mid-80's to early 90's.  I may have seen Frazetta's work before that, but these ads caught my attention as a young lad.  I used to own an original painting for an alternate version of this ad with a red head, but I'm not sure that ever got published.

Rumple_Minze.webp