• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wicked Comic Con - Boston, MA - April 9, 2022

33 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 6:12 PM, Pontoon said:

Where's all the show reports?

I found it too crowded for my liking. I can live with waiting my turn to get into a longbox, but those aisles were crammed to the point where they were barely passable.

I thought it was crowded as well, a little tight for the space but for as busy as it was there seemed to be a ton of time to actually chat with the writers/artists. Shows are so much more enjoyable when you aren't constantly dealing with reps pushing people through as fast as possible. 

Just checked my email and got this a couple hours ago.

Thank you very much for attending Wicked Comic Con Boston 2022.

We hope you had a great time.  We will be returning next year (April 22-23, 2023) as an even bigger TWO DAY event at The Hynes Convention Center in Boston. 

Tickets to Wicked Comic Con Boston 2023 will go on sale sometime in November.  Stay tuned.

Thanks again for supporting Wicked Comic Con!

:banana:

On 4/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, universal soldier said:

Great to meet you in person as well @AmazingComics413. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, my first con since Fan Expo in 2019 and this really felt like the Boston Comic Con of old.  I arrived a bit late as I had some things going on early in the day but as others have mentioned, it was really packed when I got there at 12:30. I thought the set-up was pretty good, my only complaint was I had no idea what most of the booth numbers were. The little wedding size name cards were really no help and most dealers didn't have them. Lol, that's why it took me a good hour to find @AmazingComics413 :blush:.

There was a good amount of variety and inventory with plenty of dollar bins and assortment of low to mid grade bronze and silver to dig through. Books seemed to moving quickly and I did notice a lot of people were looking for and buying high grade silver and bronze DC :whatthe:. I found all the dealers open to reasonable discounts and enjoyed talking to a number of them. They all seemed pretty happy with the sales they were making. Good day for buyers and sellers alike. It was good to see Jack from Bedrock comics out of Framingham, Superworld comics (no Ted) and found the guys/lady in the far left corner (I lost their card) had some really nice books. I think they are out of Connecticut. Two of the owners from my LCS, Hall of Comics, were there as customers but we crossed paths a number of times at different tables. I kept my eyes open for @ Pontoon but it's been a long time since I saw you so we probably walked by each other and didn't even realize it. By far @Superworld had the best books including an amazing FF #4 that was absolutely :cloud9: I believe it is from a new collection they just got so it is still raw. The yellows on that copy were just incredible and I really wished I had taken a picture.

I had three books targeted as well as certain run fillers for FF and Incredible Hulk.  There was only one copy of Marvel Premiere #1 at the whole show, a small handful of FF #46 and only one low grade Thor #166. I didn't think I could make a reasonable offer on the Marvel Premiere #1 without coming across as a d-bag so I passed. The lower grade FF's all had significant issues and I pondered the higher grade one but it likely would have been my only purchase of the day. I opted for quality and quantity instead and managed to find a number of issues that mainly closed some run gaps. 

Th IH 114 and 117 were the only two below 120 that I needed and the 131 is a really nice bright copy. Lots of progress on the FF run. The 129 is really sweet book and 147 was the random book that closed a nearly 100 book run. Four nice Byrne run copies including the 269 that I got from @AmazingComics413 that turned out to be a Mark Jewelers copy. That is only my third so pretty cool find. I rounded things out with a couple Iron Man with, you guessed it, another run gap filler (#131) and an early Spider woman appearance.

Great show, looking forward to next year and some other upcoming local shows.

I was gone about 11:00. I bought my ticket and got in line as they started to let people in about 10:00. It was so crowded after the entirety of the initial crowd got in I just could not deal with trying to elbow my way through the aisles while taking baby steps over to a table to see the goods. One table I made it to had longboxes full of books that were only sporadically priced and were mixed in with bagged books with the flap sticking out instead of being taped down, making it needlessly difficult to flip through.

The guy and lady in the far left was J&S Comics (as in Jill and Steve) from CT, not the J&S Comics based in NJ. I didn't get to their tables this time but I've bought from them in the past. They usually have a very wide selection.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, Pontoon said:

The guy and lady in the far left was J&S Comics (as in Jill and Steve) from CT, not the J&S Comics based in NJ. I didn't get to their tables this time but I've bought from them in the past. They usually have a very wide selection.

Thanks! They had a great selection at pretty reasonable prices. Looks like they are out of Putnam Ct so not too far for me, might have to do a road trip.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:09 PM, universal soldier said:

Thanks! They had a great selection at pretty reasonable prices. Looks like they are out of Putnam Ct so not too far for me, might have to do a road trip.

I've never been, but they did have a cool booth. It's about a 40 minute drive for me. I'll see if one of my kiddos wants to make the trip this this weekend... And my wife let's me. Could be tricky with the holiday in there. 

J & S Comics do the Plainville CT show the last Sunday of every month. It's a great little show and my brother @Kevin76helps them out at the booth quite frequently . He was there on Saturday. I grabbed an Iron Man Sub Mariner 1 CGC 7.5 that he had that was really sharp. Nice white cover and white pages. An upgrade from the 7.0 copy I currently have. 

Steve is a good guy and really easy to deal with. Ted has a bigger selection, particularly with Gold, but I prefer J&S because he has more slabs.....which is what I mostly buy 

Edited by comicartfan

On 4/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, comicartfan said:

J & S Comics do the Plainville CT show the last Sunday of every month. It's a great little show and my brother @Kevin76helps them out at the booth quite frequently . He was there on Saturday. I grabbed an Iron Man Sub Mariner 1 CGC 7.5 that he had that was really sharp. Nice white cover and white pages. An upgrade from the 7.0 copy I currently have. 

Steve is a good guy and really easy to deal with. Ted has a bigger selection, particularly with Gold, but I prefer J&S because he has more slabs.....which is what I mostly buy 

Was @Kevin76 behind the booth? Lol, probably who I bought the books from as I think Steve was busy with other customers.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:23 PM, universal soldier said:

Was @Kevin76 behind the booth? Lol, probably who I bought the books from as I think Steve was busy with other customers.

I was there the whole time. There were 4 of us there. Steve, John, Tom and myself, I'm the one in the Red Sox hat and blue shirt  

Edited by Kevin76

On 4/13/2022 at 8:55 AM, Kevin76 said:

I was there the whole time. There were 4 of us there. Steve, John, Tom and myself, I'm the one in the Red Sox hat and blue shirt  

Hmm, I think I was talking with one of the other guys but can't be sure, unless you were helping the guy who bough a bunch of sweet Astonishing Tales books. I'll check for you at the next show as I'll certainly buy from them again.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:40 PM, universal soldier said:

Hmm, I think I was talking with one of the other guys but can't be sure, unless you were helping the guy who bough a bunch of sweet Astonishing Tales books. I'll check for you at the next show as I'll certainly buy from them again.

Probably Tom or John