Wait -- OA prices can actually go DOWN?!?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

The same Rom Lim Infinity Gauntlet page being sold by Will for 33K in July was just re-posted on CAF at 29K. I seem to remember being lectured by a few this summer that Ron's Infinity Gauntlet pages were the next collecting holy grails and 33K was easily justified... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, Race said:

The same Rom Lim Infinity Gauntlet page being sold by Will for 33K in July was just re-posted on CAF at 29K. I seem to remember being lectured by a few this summer that Ron's Infinity Gauntlet pages were the next collecting holy grails and 33K was easily justified... 

 

For all its worth, he had also dropped his price on a Luis Dominguez cover by $500 which I have been watching over the past few years as it has made its way around various dealers.

Anyone else notice some price drops lately?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you price an item too high and it does not sell lower the asking price. Seems logical. Still if the reduced price remains way over market it likley still won't sell then the dealer risks it becoming stale. No fear there is always the OCA Dealer to Dealer merry-go-round.

BTW, I'm sure if you offered 25k cash you'd get the Lim Gauntlet page without an argument :)

 

Edited by MAR1979
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, Race said:

The same Rom Lim Infinity Gauntlet page being sold by Will for 33K in July was just re-posted on CAF at 29K. I seem to remember being lectured by a few this summer that Ron's Infinity Gauntlet pages were the next collecting holy grails and 33K was easily justified... 

 

You're not giving enough context for me to sufficiently answer. That said, you've actually said enough that I suspect you don't see all the variables at play when it comes to pricing pieces that pop up in various places (that's a lot of p's in that sentence- but what's more important is I point out that you peruse poster boards patiently and properly, lest you prove to be someone who provides a pirate the pleasure of the plundering of their pennies unprovoked)

Edited by Bill C
more appropriate p's
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 1:42 AM, thethedew said:

...and yet, some dealers of note RAISE their prices whenever a piece doesn't sell ::coughD'Scough::

Yep. The dealer type who are sitting on a rough estimated 100Million in art.  For them setting an arbitrary price and getting that amount or higher is pretty much an ego thing. Easy to do when one does not actually need the coinage.

P.S. The figure quoted is not an indicator those 4-5 current dealers are liquid for that amount, but they could be. Only a matter of allowing the Midas type hoarding effect lose it's hold. In this case Original Comic Art being the metaphor for Gold.

Edited by MAR1979
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not referring to any particular dealer, piece or price... but I've been very wary to participate in any discussion regarding the $$$ for a certain piece whether before or after it sells.  I'm not following sales closely so my opinion would be worthless.

After all, the only price that really matters to me is what I've actually paid for a piece.  Or the price of something I've sold (it's been a while).  If I'm an underbidder or also-ran or non-buyer, well that was my state of mind and state of my finances.

For me to have an actual opinion on a price before or after a sale, it feels like I'm spending someoneelse's money.  If something sells for X, I might think "Wow, that's a lot of $$$".  But I highly doubt I would think "Yeah, that sounds right, it's worth the $$$".  This stuff is still a luxury.

Of course, I don't mind paying less.

Edited by Will_K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 10:58 AM, MAR1979 said:

Yep. The dealer type who are sitting on a rough estimated 100Million in art.  For them setting an arbitrary price and getting that amount or higher is pretty much an ego thing. Easy to do when one does not actually need the coinage.

P.S. The figure quoted is not an indicator those 4-5 current dealers are liquid for that amount, but they could be. Only a matter of allowing the Midas type hoarding effect lose it's hold. In this case Original Comic Art being the metaphor for Gold.

I don’t think it is ego; just a fine appreciation of the market. Prices for almost everything on a beloved book will go up, as well as for certain artists, so eventually, they get it. Things won’t change until people stop throwing money at pieces of xxxx just because Kirby did it. Maybe in 20 years, but too many have too much money and nostalgia for that in the near future. Just remember: today’s darling is tomorrow’s Hummel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 5:34 PM, Will_K said:

Not referring to any particular dealer, piece or price... but I've been very wary to participate in any discussion regarding the $$$ for a certain piece whether before or after it sells.  I'm not following sales closely so my opinion would be worthless.

After all, the only price that really matters to me is what I've actually paid for a piece.  Or the price of something I've sold (it's been a while).  If I'm an underbidder or also-ran or non-buyer, well that was my state of mind and state of my finances.

For me to have an actual opinion on a price before or after a sale, it feels like I'm spending someoneelse's money.  If something sells for X, I might think "Wow, that's a lot of $$$".  But I highly doubt I would think "Yeah, that sounds right, it's worth the $$$".  This stuff is still a luxury.

Of course, I don't mind paying less.

If you're the underbidder on a piece that gets bid up to a dealer that then sits unsold on their website for years...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

If you're the underbidder on a piece that gets bid up to a dealer that then sits unsold on their website for years...

Yes.  But you have to pick your battles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 6:47 AM, Race said:

The same Rom Lim Infinity Gauntlet page being sold by Will for 33K in July was just re-posted on CAF at 29K. I seem to remember being lectured by a few this summer that Ron's Infinity Gauntlet pages were the next collecting holy grails and 33K was easily justified... 

 

If this is the $29,000 page, it's now listed as sold.

 

IG4P37 - $29,000.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sold to who? Glen Brunswick? Or ”sold” (removed from sale) to make the embarrassment of such a ridiculous ask go away?

There is no one on this board who would dare place Lim in the top 20 comics artists of all time. High priced, poorly drawn OA tied to trendy storylines -- just like this page -- will be the first to crash when the collectibles market gets whacked. I would hate to be the 29k (or 40k, or 55k) bag holder on this in 2 years...

Edited by Race
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue is the obscene price for a poorly page by an artist a) no one will care about or recognize in ten years and b) whose work will have made no discernable contribution to the art. This page has one thing going for it: hype. When superhero movies die their natural death, so will this page's value.

I suppose we should shed no tears over the wealthy fool left holding the bag here, but OA collecting as a whole is poorer for it when trash like this is sold for more money than work by good artists.

Edited by Race
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2