• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else tired of comic book movies?
1 1

177 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 6:20 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

You mean is anyone else tired of the MCU?

I'm not. Give me more please.

And judging by the MCU's pandemic box office numbers, Disney+ premium streaming numbers for Black Widow, and the viewership numbers for every Disney+ show so far, I think a lot of people feel the same way.

Where did someone say "I am tired of the MCU films ONLY"?

On 11/29/2021 at 6:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

Where did someone say "I am tired of the MCU films ONLY"?

The OP says in his first post that he is tired of the Marvel super hero formula. Surely he wasn't talking about the Venom movies? (Now those are tiring) The only other Marvel movies are the MCU.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The OP says in his first post that he is tired of the Marvel super hero formula. Surely he wasn't talking about the Venom movies? (Now those are tiring) The only other Marvel movies are the MCU.

Two movies made you tired? Pal, get out and do some paces. At least a few miles of walking.

Meanwhile, I took that as one example of superhero films. Not the only issue for the OP.

I will modify my previous statement to say that I am, in fact, a little bit tired of "dark, brooding Batman."  Of all the comic movies coming up, the Robert Pattinson re-boot is definitely the one I am least interested in.

Having said that, it still might be good.  It just looks exactly the same as like the last three Batmen.

Edited by Axelrod

On 11/29/2021 at 6:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Two movies made you tired? Pal, get out and do some paces. At least a few miles of walking.

Yes, that's how awful they are. It took every bit of strength I had not to walk out of Venom 2. Poor Carnage's key issue value is sinking as we speak. The only redeeming thing was that unexpected credit sequence where Sony's lame-o-verse gets to rub knees with the glorious MCU.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:39 PM, Axelrod said:

I will modify my previous statement to say that I am, in fact, a little bit tired of "dark, brooding Batman."  Of all the comic movies coming up, the Robert Pattinson re-boot is definitely the one I am least interested in.

Having said that, it still might be good.  It just looks exactly the same as like the last three Batmen.

Exactly my thought. I heard it was going to be a fresh take on Batman, more like the detective guy. This Pattinson version looks and acts like a clone of the Nolan Batman.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, that's how awful they are. It took every bit of strength I had not to walk out of Venom 2. Poor Carnage's key issue value is sinking as we speak. The only redeeming thing was that unexpected credit sequence where Sony's lame-o-verse gets to rub knees with the glorious MCU.

That torrent site really messed you up.

Oh, I meant XD 3-D theater with the tiniest screen. :shiftyeyes:

This was a shocker.  A couple weeks ago, I played the scene from Black Widow when they've just rescued Crimson Dynamo and are flying in the helicopter for my business partner.  She's incredibly pragmatic and rarely watches movies of any kind.  She really hates sci-fi and fantasy stuff.  But I just spoke with her and she watched Black Widow over the weekend with one of her daughters and really enjoyed it.  She's now going back and just watched Iron Man and liked that also.

It reminds me that there's more to these movies than what we comic book fans find interesting.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:42 PM, Randall Dowling said:

This was a shocker.  A couple weeks ago, I played the scene from Black Widow when they've just rescued Crimson Dynamo and are flying in the helicopter for my business partner.  She's incredibly pragmatic and rarely watches movies of any kind.  She really hates sci-fi and fantasy stuff.  But I just spoke with her and she watched Black Widow over the weekend with one of her daughters and really enjoyed it.  She's now going back and just watched Iron Man and liked that also.

It reminds me that there's more to these movies than what we comic book fans find interesting.

I think the main issue for me is that I don’t want to see all of them anymore.  It’s not that Black Widow was a bad movie, it’s just that I didn’t really need to see it after I’ve seen all of the others.  If I hadn’t seen 20 other similar movies, I would have enjoyed it more.

I’ve reached the point where I’m probably only going to bother with a couple of comic movies a year.  Which means I won’t see most of them.  

On 11/29/2021 at 3:39 PM, Axelrod said:

Ummm, Batman is kind of dark... and brooding. Maybe Adam West can make a comeback? Oh wait...

I am getting tired of the typical action movie formula period. The MCU and DCEU use this is basically every film.

1. Opening action sequence

2. filler and character stuff

3. middle action sequence

4. filler and character stuff.  Wait here is where the big reveal or plot twist occurs!!!! 

5. Closing action sequence

Sometimes we get the earth shattering mix of a fourth smaller action sequence sprinkled in somewhere. In many ways Bond established this in the 60's, and it has not really changed much.

I am not tired of superhero films, but I am tired of mediocre films with bad writing.

Examples:

Black Widow is not able to attack the villain because of his scent, putting her in the situation where she decides to break her own nose.

the Master of Kung-Fu shouldn't work as a valet and sing karaoke. His friend of 10 years would know he trains daily at his martial arts skills. I also think his sister shouldn't own a "fight club" that has the Abomination in it. 

I thought the entire part of Kingo in the Eternals being an actor in bad movies was cheeze and all of that could be removed from the film.

Just a few of samples of what I think is awful writing, and I couldn't even finish the Suicide Squad which was a gore-fest for humor.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:09 PM, Artboy99 said:

the Master of Kung-Fu shouldn't work as a valet and sing karaoke. His friend of 10 years would know he trains daily at his martial arts skills. I also think his sister shouldn't own a "fight club" that has the Abomination in it. 

Kind of disagree on this point. Shang-Chi isn't a Kung Fu master. He's the son of a 1,000 year old Chinese warlord who is trying to escape his legacy by staying hidden in a job that's low on the totem pole. Asian people love karaoke. If there's one thing that's accurate in the movie, it's that. Katy wouldn't necessarily know he's trained in the martial arts if he hides it. They don't live together. He could do things like push-ups or his forms in his studio apartment alone and Katy would never know. He doesn't need to go to a dojo or something. It's already a part of him, especially that he got from his mother. Why shouldn't the daughter of a 1000 year old Chinese warlord have the "stuff" to create her own underground empire? It's totally believable.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:37 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Kind of disagree on this point. Shang-Chi isn't a Kung Fu master. He's the son of a 1,000 year old Chinese warlord who is trying to escape his legacy by staying hidden in a job that's low on the totem pole. Asian people love karaoke. If there's one thing that's accurate in the movie, it's that. Katy wouldn't necessarily know he's trained in the martial arts if he hides it. They don't live together. He could do things like push-ups or his forms in his studio apartment alone and Katy would never know. He doesn't need to go to a dojo or something. It's already a part of him, especially that he got from his mother. Why shouldn't the daughter of a 1000 year old Chinese warlord have the "stuff" to create her own underground empire? It's totally believable.

he is skilled enough to fend off an attack of several trained assailants I think it shows he is the master of something if not kung-fu. You dont attain that skill level without discipline and much practice. Being children of the father that they are estranged from means does she actually have the "stuff" likely not. 

I perhaps would have preferred that the brother and sister have trained in their own ways and attained their skills in realistic means.

I think the addition of the fight club is lazy writing to have a way to add Wong and the Abomination purely as name dropping to increase viewership.

Glad you enjoyed the film, we definitely disagree.