• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else tired of comic book movies?
1 1

177 posts in this topic

I was hooked since Spider-Man started appearing on The Electric Company in the 70’s. And as a young child with no way to record it, that made its appearances even more special. And then seeing Superman 78, oh man forget about it. But after that, what were the ones that made an impact? Certainly Batman 89. Iron Man 1. The Dark Knight. The Avengers. Logan.

And the rest were mostly just a fun diversion. I haven’t gone back and revisited many of them. They are fun popcorn movies and nothing more. I’d rather rewatch the first season of True Detective or Band of Brothers than any comic book movie out there. I’m not the target audience right now so it doesn’t matter. If I was, they would focus less on the huge spectacles and give me something more along the lines of Joker. Even though I’m conflicted on that movie, its the direction I would like to see it go for DC. They are killing it on tv though. Loved the Watchmen and Doom Patrol series. They should just give Batman his True Detective moment on HBO.

I’m looking forward to Spider-Man but not in the way I was looking forward to it in 2001. I think that World Trade Center trailer blew us all away. But I’m ready to take a break from capes and see some films with substance. Films I’m not really anticipating but ones that will stay with me in a more meaningful way.

The pitiful box office numbers for phase 4 tells us you're not the only one.  

Eventually it will narrow down to the same legacy characters it always does- the likes of spider-man and batman.  There will always be wayne and Parker in movies.   There'll be some x-men thrown in.  Some avengers movies with the legacy characters brought back.

The rest.... Seriously, who actually cares ?

-J.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:06 AM, Artboy99 said:

I think the addition of the fight club is lazy writing to have a way to add Wong and the Abomination purely as name dropping to increase viewership.

I don't think the underground club was just a way to have Wong and Abomination cameo. It was a fun action movie way for Shang-Chi and Xialing to meet each other for the first time since they were kids. It's part kung fu movie, after all. It also shows that Xialing has the leadership and entrepreneurial skills to take over the Ten Rings organization at the end. 

On 11/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, Artboy99 said:

Black Widow is not able to attack the villain because of his scent, putting her in the situation where she decides to break her own nose.

That was the funniest thing I'd seen all year.

On 11/30/2021 at 9:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wait, is this for real? I may have to watch this movie if it has something that ridiculous in it.

Yep. I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea.

Edited by Artboy99

On 11/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wait, is this for real? I may have to watch this movie if it has something that ridiculous in it.

Yes, it's real. I cracked up when I saw it. Pretty sure that wasn't their desired response. 

Edited by D84

On 11/30/2021 at 10:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can't even believe that someone wrote that into a film in recent years... Seems like a terrible idea that someone would conjure up in the 90's.

agreed. It is a perfect example of what I am tired of in comic book related movies: horrible writing. No wonder Black Widow didn't do well.

Shall we discuss the abysmal WW84? 

On 11/30/2021 at 8:11 PM, Artboy99 said:

agreed. It is a perfect example of what I am tired of in comic book related movies: horrible writing. No wonder Black Widow didn't do well.

Shall we discuss the abysmal WW84? 

God no. I was excited for that movie. Wonder Woman AND the 80’s! No way you can screw that up for an 80’s kid like me. They found a way.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:11 PM, ▫️ said:

That’s real sh*t. A Marvel writer put that down and thought it was awesome. 

You know what is a bad line that any English teacher would have vetoed, and bothers me to death?

Is it stealing if you steal from another thief?

Wonder Woman, BvS. The writer and/or director should have swapped out "steal" with "take". If you admit to "steal" the object from Wayne, then obviously it was stealing! :pullhair:

On 11/30/2021 at 10:20 AM, D84 said:

Black Widow was so bad it made me angry because Nat and Cap are my two favorites from the MCU. She deserved better.

absolutely! They have proven they are capable of making great films, so disappointing when they don't.