• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else tired of comic book movies?
1 1

177 posts in this topic

Do you get tired of movies in general too? I don't understand why you're calling out superhero movies specifically as if they are somehow taking away from other movies that you would like more, Just stop watching superhero movies for a while, or until some come out that do excite you.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, PopKulture said:

Wow. I never saw the above two posters side-by-side like that. Disney is beyond hypocritical. I wonder if pressed how they could possibly justify the change? (shrug)

Actually Finn is still there on the Chinese poster, just smaller. They actually took off Chewbacca!

On 12/19/2021 at 2:11 AM, PopKulture said:

Wow. I never saw the above two posters side-by-side like that. Disney is beyond hypocritical. I wonder if pressed how they could possibly justify the change? (shrug)

On 12/19/2021 at 3:11 AM, PopKulture said:

Finn is still on the China poster, he's just smaller and to the right of BB8 who is more prominent. Droids must poll well in China.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:00 PM, Hamlet said:

They are currently making more comic movies and shows than I am interested in seeing.  I watched Shang-Chi and Black Widow on Disney+ over the holiday weekend and I frankly got a little bored.  I think the movies themselves were fine, but I’m just tired of the Marvel superhero movie formula at this point.  

If I’m reaching the point where I’m tired of these movies and shows, I gotta think that the average movie viewer can’t be far behind. 

Is anyone else thinking along these lines?

I started experiencing MCU fatigue around the time of BLACK PANTHER and CAPTAIN MARVEL, both movies I did not care for. And I've enjoyed few MCU offerings since. However, SHANG-CHI was refreshingly fun for me. By far my favorite of the current phase. I'd rank HAWKEYE up there with it. It reminds me of the Marvel Netflix shows, which I really enjoyed for the most part.

But there's too much. It feels like they want us hooked on that and devote ALL of our spare time on it. BRILLIANT marketing.

Big Budget CGI laden movies without an actual plot or characters of interest are boring to me, so I've not seen 90% of comic book movies.   I like a story told in around 90 minutes using actual people.   GHOST WORLD is probably the best comic book movie I've ever seen, for example.   

To me even good CGI just looks lousy.   When the last Spider-Man movie came out with Michael Keaton I remember him showing a clip on David Letterman or some similar show, and it was The Vulture and Spidey fighting-- after it was over Keaton just sat there, clearly not excited to be promoting anything and asked why he's showing a clip that doesn't feature any real people.

I've had many people tell me that they are getting tired of comic movies/series. Personally speaking though, I continue to enjoy watching (some of) them and like the general increase in the quality of such movies during the past few decades. This happening to coincide with me collecting comics less over time (to where I effectively have stopped actively collecting) has also provided me with an alternative entertainment outlet, which can include inducing a warm fuzzy nostalgia as well as an appreciation for innovations based on the source material. Like any collector I suppose, I do have major qualms with some of the changes at times, but only if I feel it detracts too much from the original plot/character, not merely because it differs.

I'm sure there's plenty of others who feel like the OP, but as for me, nope, keep 'em coming please. Though I don't want to watch comic-related movies or series all the time, I do want to continue having the option of doing so and thus welcome the development of new such movies/series.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

People are getting tired of them but they still go out and watch them.

Disney is definitely making some great TV shows as well

At the end of the day, it's all about making that $$$$

I honestly think with Kevin Feige, it's not just about the money, but he wants to do right by these characters because he's a fan and actually has a conscience.