• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else tired of comic book movies?
1 1

177 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 11:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

So you empathize with our opinions, then.

I wouldn't bag on comics if they would stop releasing 5,000 titles every week. I also wouldn't be bagging on CBMs if they didn't plan on releasing 50 TV shows in the next 2 years.

I would say that the MCU had a great balance of quality and quantity through 2019. DCEU lacked quantity for a few years, and now they're lacking quality. The MCU, being a litmus test for the medium, flooding the market just kills my enthusiasm for comic book movies and shows. 2c

I have a good feeling Spider-man NWH, and Dr Strange 2 will rejuvenate you.  We are all bored..its called covid fatigue.  :wavingwhiteflag:

Me and my gf -re-watched all the MCU movies during covid.  She pretty is on par with liking and disliking the same ones as we do.  However, she thought BW and Eternals were some of the best MCO movies of all time.  Personally I totally agree with her.  I thought Shang Chi was pretty boring.  I thought Eternals really opened up the MCU for years to come so not sure why some comic book fans didnt like it.  Eternals is in my top 5 MCU movies of all time. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/1/2021 at 2:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I have a good feeling Spider-man NWH, and Dr Strange 2 will rejuvenate you.  We are all bored..its called covid fatigue.  :wavingwhiteflag:

Me and my gf -re-watched all the MCU movies during covid.  She pretty is on par with liking and disliking the same ones as we do.  However, she thought BW and Eternals were some of the best MCO movies of all time.  Personally I totally agree with her.  I thought Shang Chi was pretty boring.  I thought Eternals really opened up the MCU for years to come so not sure why some comic book fans didnt like it.  Eternals is in my top 5 MCU movies of all time. 

As I mentioned in its own thread, NWH has given me hype for the first time since Endgame/ZSJL. As for fatigue, I have operated nearly as normal over the past 2 years, so that's a non-factor for me.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:49 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Honestly I just really like the Black Widow character.  For me BW was a mix of James Bon and Borne Identity.  So for me it really hit the mark. :cheers: 

nah-jake-gyllenhaal.gif.558ee1544985604f27a54a60fa8469f7.gif

Just kidding. Cool that it worked for you. I think for many the timing was way off. Especially post-death so as to force a story so as to transition to her replacement.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy it. :angel:

On 12/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I thought the concept of having Celestials develop in the cores of planets was excellent and greatly look forward to more of that in the MCU.

Where Eternals failed for me is character. If an important character is killed it should matter to me, but because there are to many characters in the film and we learned so little of each of them the deaths didnt faze me at all. I also strongly disliked the movie star Kingo stuff: pure cheese.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:51 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Do you get tired of Star Wars? No. Since the Original Trilogy, all Lucasfilm has done is make bad movies about the same thing and the same characters over and over and over again, but fans still clamor for that creatively dead franchise. Can we get a show about baby Obi Wan next? At least Marvel Studios gives us new heroes and new villains. If Disney has anything to do with it and they do, Marvel is going nowhere. I just don't understand why this is a problem for so many of you here. Did y'all invest in the wrong comic book company keys or something?

Funny you should mention Star Wars.  My understanding is that Disney was originally planning to have a Star Wars movie every year.  A main movie every two years and a stand-alone on the off years.  Solo tanked and they scaled back their plans.  They had found the limit of how many Star Wars movies people would watch in numbers large enough to support their budgets.

Every movie genre and franchise has limits to what the market will support.  It ebbs and flows with the quality of the movies and the moods of the viewing public.  

The box office numbers for Black Widow, Chang-Shi, and Eternals have been lackluster.  Some of that is the pandemic, some of it is probably specific to these movies, and some of it is releasing them on Disney+ to support their platform.  It’s harder these days to quantify the profitability of movies that are on streaming platforms, since the amount of the streaming revenue you should attribute to any particular movie is somewhat subjective.  However, they don’t look like they’ve been all that profitable by traditional metrics.

That may be a temporary setback due to the current environment.  Certainly I would expect the new Spiderman movie to do well.  I’m starting to think that the public’s appetite for the lesser properties might be waning, though.

On 12/1/2021 at 3:38 PM, Hamlet said:

The box office numbers for Black Widow, Chang-Shi, and Eternals have been lackluster.  Some of that is the pandemic, some of it is probably specific to these movies, and some of it is releasing them on Disney+ to support their platform.  It’s harder these days to quantify the profitability of movies that are on streaming platforms, since the amount of the streaming revenue you should attribute to any particular movie is somewhat subjective.  However, they don’t look like they’ve been all that profitable by traditional metrics.

Box office for ALL movies has been relatively lackluster because of the pandemic. In North America, James Bond would normally bring in between $300-400 million, but it's only made $158 million in North America. For the years 2020 and 2021, with a deadly global pandemic crippling the economy and the world's largest moviegoer market China retooling the way it deals with the rest of the world both socially and economically, you have to throw past traditional metrics out the window.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:38 PM, Hamlet said:

The box office numbers for Black Widow, Chang-Shi, and Eternals have been lackluster.  

Black Widow maybe but the other two have done very well. 

If you think all MCU movies should gross a $1 Billion dollars thats very unrealistic. 

Chang-chi and Eternals have done very well worldwide, and didnt even get released in China.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Box office for ALL movies has been relatively lackluster because of the pandemic. In North America, James Bond would normally bring in between $300-400 million, but it's only made $158 million in North America. For the years 2020 and 2021, with a deadly global pandemic crippling the economy and the world's largest moviegoer market China retooling the way it deals with the rest of the world both socially and economically, you have to throw past traditional metrics out the window.

Correct both those movies did not see the light of day in China.  Both movies did amazing since being released in the movie theaters.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, Artboy99 said:

I thought the concept of having Celestials develop in the cores of planets was excellent and greatly look forward to more of that in the MCU.

Where Eternals failed for me is character. If an important character is killed it should matter to me, but because there are to many characters in the film and we learned so little of each of them the deaths didnt faze me at all. I also strongly disliked the movie star Kingo stuff: pure cheese.

IMO the dead Celestial on earth will be the main reason Galactus comes to earth. 

On 12/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

hm

WW_BO211201.thumb.PNG.52c8fafb480769eb65777a21cba81fe8.PNG

cuckoo.gif.1a172f0c42c374c3a7f88e4940cd32bb.gif

On 12/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Black Widow maybe but the other two have done very well. 

If you think all MVU movies should should do a $1 Billion dollars that very unrealistic. 

Chang-chi and Eternals have done very well worldwide.  

Shang-Chi did very well in theaters. Black Widow because of Disney+ Premier Access came close to breaking even.

But Eternals is at the same RR as The Incredible Hulk (the only movie ever to bomb for the MCU - back then).

MCU_BO211201.thumb.PNG.914b754014b8e4bc9f61ebf7e11ee4ee.PNG

On 12/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Shang-Chi did very well in theaters. Black Widow because of Disney+ Premier Access came close to breaking even.

But Eternals is at the same RR as The Incredible Hulk (the only movie ever to bomb for the MCU - back then).

MCU_BO211201.thumb.PNG.914b754014b8e4bc9f61ebf7e11ee4ee.PNG

Looks to me Eternals made gross profit of 169 million and counting. 

Looks great to me for D level characters.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

IMO the dead Celestial on earth will be the main reason Galactus comes to earth. 

agreed! Whether Galactus comes for the energies of the dead Celestial or if he is sent as the punishment for the Eternals preventing the emergence I agree with you.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

agreed! Whether Galactus comes for the energies of the dead Celestial or if he is sent as the punishment for the Eternals preventing the emergence I agree with you.

The Earth X storyline I believe has him eating dead Celestials for his survival I think.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:09 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Looks to me Eternals made gross profit of 169 million and counting. 

Looks great to me for D level characters.

'looks to me' doesn't factor in Disney has to split 55% take with domestic theaters and 40% take with international theaters (China would have been 25%).

But when a production is part of a 26-film franchise that now has loads of credibility, the old 'X-List Characters' story doesn't hold water.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

'looks to me' doesn't factor in Disney has to split 55% take with domestic theaters and 40% take with international theaters (China would have been 25%).

But when a production is part of a 26-film franchise that now has loads of credibility, the old 'X-List Characters' story doesn't hold water.

Thats why I said Gross Profit.  

Eternals will prob close out at the theaters over $400 million, thats realistic to me even before covid for D level characters so once again yes this movie did fine at the theaters. 

Post EndGame we have not really had A level movies characters from the MCU.  All of this is filler.  They have done much better than what I thought they were going to do.  I cant complain.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

or the $150 P&A, but who's to quibble