• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else tired of comic book movies?
1 1

177 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 6:07 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes sir!

What you best guess for box office predictions on Dr Strange 2?  I think it does well, just not as well as Spider-man unless the rumor proves true. :ohnoez:

So hard to predict. Supposedly there are extensive reshoots.

I wonder if it is due to the films having to change their release order. So now having to add new scenes.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:23 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Well they should fix that.  Total budget should account for that in the budget.

The general rule of thumb a movie needs to make 2.5 to 3 times their production budget to make money. Taking Eternal as an example, the budget was $200 million.   Which means that the box office needs to be $500 to $600 million to make money. That takes into account promotion and advertising as well as the movie theaters' cut of the box office.

A second rule of thumb is that promotion and advertising is generally around half of the production budget.  Again using Eternals, this means P&A was around $100 million. Disney was therefore into the movie for $300 million before anyone saw it. 

Edited by drotto

On 12/1/2021 at 4:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

Marvel Studios did so much to strengthen its place at the Chinese box office since Iron Man 3 without that country it takes a huge hit.

:cheers:

China is proving it is a very difficult market to predict. Between US based companies seeming to not fully grasp what the audience want, and the temperamental nature of the government censorship and control of the market, it is not a market they should be counting on.  I know the shear number of people that live there makes it very attractive, I am not convinced it is reliable enough to justify the time, money, and compromises they have made to try to be successful there.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:30 PM, drotto said:

China is proving it is a very difficult market to predict. Between US based companies seeming to not fully grasp what the audience want, and the temperamental nature of the government censorship and control of the market, it is not a market they should be counting on.  I know the shear number of people that live there makes it very attractive, I am not convinced it is reliable enough to justify the time, money, and compromises they have made to try to be successful there.

Even with Shazam the reaction from the Chinese box office was mediocre as they had come to assume all comic book movies involve huge, explosive battles. So that amusement park fight didn't go over strongly based on that expectation.

Add to this the story was spread David Sandberg had attacked Marvel Studios over the Captain Marvel movie (which was BS - he actually said he looked forward to it), and they are so loyal to the MCU people took offense. I don't know where that story came from other than folks assuming they needed to kill Shazam's chances locally.

I'm tired of bad comic movies and have less interest in new TV shows. I can't think of one good superhero movie that came out this year, all of the one's I saw were mediocre to below average (Venom, Black Widow, Suicide Squad, Shang-Chi). I'll still give Eternals a try when it's available to stream and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Spider-Man, Morbius, and Batman movies.  I've also been disappointed in non-comic movies this year.  I was disappointed in Dune and No Time to Die, but I found Free Guy and Old Henry to be enjoyable and disappointingly I still feel that Jungle Cruise and Cruella were more entertaining than any superhero films I saw this year.  

On 12/1/2021 at 3:38 PM, Hamlet said:

Funny you should mention Star Wars.  My understanding is that Disney was originally planning to have a Star Wars movie every year.  A main movie every two years and a stand-alone on the off years.  Solo tanked and they scaled back their plans.  They had found the limit of how many Star Wars movies people would watch in numbers large enough to support their budgets.

I don't think they did, but rather they found that Disney has nobody who can effectively manage Star Wars in the way Kevin Feige manages Marvel.  Kathleen Kennedy definitely can't do it, so hopefully they will find someone like Jon Favreau or Dave Filoni to do the job.  Nobody has done it like Feige has, so it's not like Star Wars is in a unique position--they're in the same boat everybody else is except Marvel.

I don't know that Favreau or Filoni really want to do the same kind of job Feige does though.  Feige isn't a creative type, he's more of an editor-in-chief who is just good at making sure the films stick to the comics where it makes sense and picks directors who will do that, whereas Favreau and Filoni like to actively create via writing, directing, or illustration.  Usually creative types like them prefer not to do the kind of producing Feige does and instead prefer creative work.  That happened with Geoff Johns at DC; he tried to fill the Feige content management role but ultimately proved not to be great at the politics of it and preferred to directly create stuff himself.

So for now there is no Feige for Star Wars--unless perhaps Feige himself becomes that person.  He's still producing a Star Wars movie, and if it goes well I could see him helping to manage all Star Wars content eventually.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, drotto said:

The general rule of thumb a movie needs to make 2.5 to 3 times their production budget to make money. Taking Eternal as an example, the budget was $200 million.   Which means that the box office needs to be $500 to $600 million to make money. That takes into account promotion and advertising as well as the movie theaters' cut of the box office.

A second rule of thumb is that promotion and advertising is generally around half of the production budget.  Again using Eternals, this means P&A was around $100 million. Disney was therefore into the movie for $300 million before anyone saw it. 

Thanks for the info.  Good to know! :cheers:

The superheroes seemed to be going through something like the Universal Monsters did after WW2. The Universal Monsters seemed scarry real before WW2,but after the war they didn't seem so scary real anymore. With the superheroes they seemed exciting real before the pandemic,now they don't seem so exciting real anymore.

An example is I just started watching the Beatles documentary and it seems more exciting and real than any superhero movie I have seen this year. The superheroes just for some reason don't have the same importance they had before the pandemic.

That's my take. I am sure somebody can explain it better.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, Flanders82 said:

I'm tired of bad comic movies and have less interest in new TV shows. I can't think of one good superhero movie that came out this year, all of the one's I saw were mediocre to below average (Venom, Black Widow, Suicide Squad, Shang-Chi). I'll still give Eternals a try when it's available to stream and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Spider-Man, Morbius, and Batman movies.  I've also been disappointed in non-comic movies this year.  I was disappointed in Dune and No Time to Die, but I found Free Guy and Old Henry to be enjoyable and disappointingly I still feel that Jungle Cruise and Cruella were more entertaining than any superhero films I saw this year.  

ZSJL is the only one that comes to mind, and I suspect that No Way Home will be the 2nd.

I’ve said many times that i’m tired of comic book movies but despite that, there have been some great movies, and many more that were very entertaining in the genre. Unfortunately there have also been those with potential that succumbed to the limits of the genre (i.e. the bad and unnecessary cgi fight scene).

I’m definitely more of a comic book and movie fan than a comic book movie fan and l think the hardest part to stomach with comic book movies is reboots and origins. If l have to hear ‘with great power comes yada yada yada’, one more time l feel I may get some great power and act irresponsibly with it!

The potential is there for good movies in all genres and no one really tires of a good movie.

I was literally thinking the same a few days back. All we have are upcoming superhero movies. Studios have their slates ready for 2024 but Honestly, superhero movies have become so mainstream that I think their hype with dryout soon enough. Plus we need some real cinema movies like the og Godfather, Shawshank etc. It's been so long that we have seen a cinematic masterpiece.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, drotto said:

There's no way Disney "only" spent $100MM on Eternals P&A.  It was more like in the $150-200MM range.  Just like it was for Black Widow.  Maybe a little less on shang-chi.  The P&A spent on No Time to Die pushed that film's all in to 500MM.

A world wide P&A expense, regardless of budget , can run 100MM.  Take a look at The Nun, for example.  $50MM production. budget give or take but reportedly spent $90‐some million on P&A. 

-J.

As someone that just loved comics for such a long time but now doesn't buy any new material, I don't know that I'll ever grow tired of the movies. I don't have the free time to read, or frankly the cash to spend (comics arent cheap these days) and every few months I get to see some decent (mostly) live action movies. I even watch the really bad ones and still can enjoy them for what they are.

I'm thrilled with NWH and its huge success, but I saw that the new version of Nightmare Alley is only gonna make something like 4 million this weekend. NA is based on a great novel and a remake of a classic Tyrone Power film, and I think a lot of people who post here would probably like it. People need to go see these type of films too, or they'll disappear.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:58 AM, Larryw7 said:

I'm thrilled with NWH and its huge success, but I saw that the new version of Nightmare Alley is only gonna make something like 4 million this weekend. NA is based on a great novel and a remake of a classic Tyrone Power film, and I think a lot of people who post here would probably like it. People need to go see these type of films too, or they'll disappear.

And this is most probably the root of all the Hollywood creators' complaints. Just not always messaged effectively.

Our beloved CBMs get such massive studio funding, top casting and marketing they can dwarf any focus on smaller productions. To include good independent stories being ignored looking for their No Way Home instead.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:05 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes they even took Finn off the Star War theater poster for China. :canofworms:

Disney bows down to the money! So not sure why many people think they are a family company and care. They dont.

image.thumb.png.2afbf77833fe11dcebc3b950cb2e27a7.png

Wow. I never saw the above two posters side-by-side like that. Disney is beyond hypocritical. I wonder if pressed how they could possibly justify the change? (shrug)