• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st comic appearance of THE BEATLES
2 2

60 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone for giving me info. However, I still don't have what I am looking for. I would like to know what comic (no magazines) of the very 1st appearance of the Beatles in a comic whether it is a cameo or full appearance, unofficial or official. No photos but actual drawing of the Beatles. Anyone know?

On 12/5/2021 at 8:55 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's clearly not them.  The real Paul is a lefty.

I noticed that Paul is depicted as a right handed player in many illustrations along with the spelling "Beetles". Oversight or on purpose, I'm sure the publishers didn't want to get into any trouble with any infringements with their likenesses or names (without permission) so I suspect some of these errors may have been on purpose.

Edited by Jaylam

At least here in America, there was usually a 3 to 4 month turnaround time in comic books from conception to hitting the retail market, so given the time frame of the Beatles hitting it big in Feb. 1964, to editors/creators deciding to recognize the phenomena in their books about a month later, then adding the 3-4 month lag time from creation, to publisher, to retail market, the Beatles first appearing in books that summer on the stands is about right. 

Edited by Jaylam

On 12/5/2021 at 10:31 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's William Campbell.

You mean this William Campbell; the Squire of Gothos? He's even wearing a Sgt. Pepper's style costume like the Beatles adorned on their album, it's even blue, the same shade of color Paul wore, coincidence?

william-campbell.png.0ed782e6d1d10d8cf6d1fc3637d0f128.png

Edited by Jaylam

On 12/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, KirbyJack said:

The Beatles issue of Strange Tales was my first purchase of that title. Must have been a really fun time to be a kid!

Oh, indeed it was. The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who ect. While building my Aurora monster and Rat Fink model kits or reading my early Marvels I plucked off the newstand for 12 cents each. We could ride our Sting Ray bikes or skateboards anywhere we wanted and stay out late without fear of harm. Was a wonderful era to grow up in!

On 12/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, Robot Man said:

I also believe the Dell Giant is the first Beatle appearance in comic book form. And yes, there are file copies of it. Many years ago, Metro had a large number of Dell files and this one was listed. Probably long buried in collections now.

There are MANY early appearances of the Beatles in comics. Some just covers and some with actual stories. Many from the 1964-1966 era. I have a lot of them. I would have to dig them out and look at the indices to see if any of them predate the Dell issue. None are fully dedicated to the group though. 

combeatlesgirl'sromances109.jpg

combeatlesgogo8.jpg

combeatlesheartthrobs101.jpg

combeatleslaugh166.jpg

combeatlesmylittlemargie54.jpg

combeatlessummerlovev2#46.jpg

combeatlessummerlovev2#47.jpg

combeatlesteenconfessions37.jpg

combeatlesyellowsubmarine.jpg

combeatles1.jpg

combeatlesbaegleslooneyheartsclub.jpg

WOW! Quite a collection! I only have the YELLOW SUBMARINE one. Now on to the hunt. So it is your opinion that the DELL GIANT is the very first comic appearance of the BEATLES?

On 12/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, Robot Man said:

Oh, indeed it was. The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who ect. While building my Aurora monster and Rat Fink model kits or reading my early Marvels I plucked off the newstand for 12 cents each. We could ride our Sting Ray bikes or skateboards anywhere we wanted and stay out late without fear of harm. Was a wonderful era to grow up in!

I was allowed to roam, but there were lots of parts in my old neighborhood that you were better off avoiding. 

On 12/7/2021 at 12:14 PM, Robot Man said:

and stay out late without fear of harm.

... no belt whippings for after 11 p.m. ? I should've run away from home and moved in with you... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/7/2021 at 1:09 PM, jimjum12 said:

... no belt whippings for after 11 p.m. ? I should've run away from home and moved in with you... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Wow, "belt whipping"? That's pretty harsh. My parents were a little more clever. Punishment was usually taking something away from you that you coveted. Like my guitar, phone usage or when older, car keys. Taking away your freedom was way worse than a spanking. I was on occasion, threatened with a whopping but can't remember ever actually getting one. And be careful what you wish for, my dad was ex-military and an LAPD photographer...

On 12/12/2021 at 5:49 PM, thecollectron said:

This was published July 9, 1964, one week after the Dell Beatles comic. Silver Age DC greatness!

JO79-1.jpg

JO79-2.jpg

JO79-3.jpg

JO79-4.jpg

Beatle wigs must have been a big thing as they were featured in two different books at about the same time. 

1533672536_beatlewig.jpeg.430472387430e1f92e2eb7585d50dd19.jpeg

@APDallas Over in the "Ask CGC" column, I inquired about if CGC has any official take on the Beatles first appearance in a comic book. This was their reply: 

Thanks for your message.  I ran this by our graders and they advised that It is very rare that we will put "1st comic book appearance of", for any real-life celebrity or group.  Basically, for people like celebrities that are in the "public domain", ANY publisher, no matter how big or small or what size the print run, can include them, so in many cases it can be impossible to tell which is the earliest.  As soon as you think, "This book is from -this- date, so it's pretty likely that it's the earliest this celebrity was seen/mentioned in a comic", a different, earlier comic from a smaller lesser-known publisher will be presented.  So short of some circumstance such as it being referenced in several sources (especially Overstreet) we defer to simply "appearance" rather than "1st comic book appearance of..."

So it looks like everyone has tried to pitch in to help us solve this, but it looks like there may be no definitive answer depending on how we define what constitutes a "first appearance", like that little info graphic page I found in Betty and Veronica #104 that pre-dates everything else that has been presented here so far, but, does that count as an appearance since they are not incorporated in and drawn in a story but are drawn in comic book art form nevertheless? Once thing is certain, there is an explosion of them appearing in one way or another in lots of books from the summer and fall of 1964.

My thanks to everyone that has posted their books here of these early appearances of the Beatles. I must say I have learned a lot. There is one other book that has not been mentioned and that is Herbie #5 (release date; Aug. 20, 1964) where they are in the story performing as "the Beetles", but there is no doubt that as they are drawn, their likenesses are "the Beatles" down to their arrangement on the stage depicting one of them playing their guitar left handed as Paul does.

1468381320_herbie5.jpg.1a9cbbaeda374c9235bde7e03f4eebe9.jpgherbie-5-3.jpg.e943bf232ae3636b43575811c2ae490b.jpg

Edited by Jaylam