• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pennsylivania Hotel in NYC is closing.
3 3

29 posts in this topic

I've only been going for a bit over a decade but there is a LOT of comic history in that hotel, most noteworthy Carbo's shows.

That building just screamed NYC to me. :cloud9:

https://www.curbed.com/2021/04/so-long-to-the-hotel-pennsylvania.html?fbclid=IwAR00gVQ9H-9gGpkKzwVJlQ4Uq_ks5mdfih8sA1OvF7lT-vH4iWgnEmkzHkU

Anyone got any Penn Plaza hotel stories to share?

On 12/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, Bird said:

Calling wifey and saying guess who has bed head and is at a table 25 ft from me right now...Ira from Mad About You!

To be fair, "bed head" was pretty much "Ira from Mad About You"'s natural state.

Edited by ttfitz
Quotation marks are your friend

On 12/2/2021 at 1:34 AM, speedcake said:

It's always sad to me when another piece of New York City history is torn down. And I feel that way about the nameless, disheveled tenements on the Upper East Side, where I live, as well as the more noteworthy and significant buildings. 

Once they are gone, they are gone. And as the article states, far far more often than not they are replaced by something truly forgettable. I'm a fan of big buildings and skyscraper architecture. And the truth is that New York really doesn't have anywhere else to go but up, or that used to be the truth.

The skyline has changed a ton just since I've lived here, almost eight years now. And these days, there are almost no new buildings proposed for Midtown and southern Manhattan that aren't supertalls. In another quarter century it will be quite difficult to pick out remnants of the mid to late 20th century city skyline. Even now buildings like the Chrysler are in danger of being completely overwhelmed by new supertall neighbors.

But things change, and I don't know if  the Penn Hotel could be saved. But I'd like to imagine a world in which it is somehow. There aren't many like it left, and when it's gone it's gone.

Lovingly dubbed "The Hotel Transylvania" by some of my friends, we used to stay there when doing onsite grading for CGC. Great memories, man...  :x

The LIRR shuts down, NYPD pulls the gates on 7th Ave and creates checkpoints on all areas leading to the Penn platform levels due to overcrowding.  Your cop friends have already gone home so you are not going to be able to tin your way through a checkpoint as their tag along.  

What do you do?  The Hotel across the street. 

Hopefully this time the sheets are fresh and the stains have been cleaned from the furniture and floors.  What’s that? Oh… yeah.  No such luck.  

I’ve never stayed after a show at MSG though because you just take the train home.  However… there was already quite the assortment of characters over the years that did from school class trips from other cities to airline personnel to criminals.

I cannot imagine what some will do without the supply of free bed bug ridden mattresses located in the dumpsters alongside the building on 33rd that you would see periodically thrown out.  

Edited by Buzzetta

One of the things that should be mentioned is that it looks like the Manhattan Mall will also shut down.    The mall was struggling long before the pandemic.  The anchor stores starting closing their doors in the mid 90's and it has been a downward slide ever since culminating in the loss of JC Penny.    Supposedly there are only one or two stores that are inside of that space. 

I could easily see that being torn down as well to build a supertall that takes up the entire block and avenue space. 

On 12/2/2021 at 7:26 AM, Buzzetta said:

One of the things that should be mentioned is that it looks like the Manhattan Mall will also shut down.    The mall was struggling long before the pandemic.  The anchor stores starting closing their doors in the mid 90's and it has been a downward slide ever since culminating in the loss of JC Penny.    Supposedly there are only one or two stores that are inside of that space. 

I could easily see that being torn down as well to build a supertall that takes up the entire block and avenue space. 

Is that the mall downstairs under the Penn plaze where the train station is or another?

On 12/2/2021 at 3:36 AM, Pitboss said:

New York Marriott Marquis :headbang: Top notch joint when I have stayed there. 

Sad to see the old school going down. Good Management means EVERYTHING.

Stayed there many times but didn't really like the way the elevator system worked.  

On 12/3/2021 at 7:07 PM, VintageComics said:

Is that the mall downstairs under the Penn plaze where the train station is or another?

Another. The Manhattan Mall is literally right next to the Hotel Pennsylvania.  Those two buildings make up the entire area between 6th and 7th and 32nd and 33rd.

They are basically building a city under the post office across from MSG and connecting it underground with the redeveloped Amtrak and Penn Station areas.   The new area that opened up is Moynihan Hall.  

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 7.11.28 PM.png

On 12/3/2021 at 7:41 PM, Aman619 said:

It’s about time. What a dump. 

Yeah, honestly even as a New Yorker that was my first reaction. I’ve got deep affection for many of NYC’s old hotels, but the shows on the 2nd floor  felt like they were taking place… somewhere between a giant sunken battleship and the set of the movie Brazil. That space was pretty bleak.