• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beginner’s Guide to Magazines
5 5

190 posts in this topic

Since I have mainly collected comics, wondering what magazines are “grails”, classic covers, or other keys. So many have incredible covers I don’t know where to start (although i just saw the Vamp 1 sale so it’s on my radar). I know this is a broad ask, but interested in seeing different genres. 

I do have Savage Tales 1, Warrior, and a Marvel Preview 4.

Feel free to post pics.

Edited by Gregd

On 12/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, horrorfan said:

Is there a big price difference between OW/W and white pages? Is there a minimum page quality most collectors will accept?

White pages do tend to command a premium, but please bear in mind that OW/W pages are perfectly acceptable, even to high grade collectors. Off White pages are still OK, but I personally won't go any lower than that unless it's absolutely necessary...

On 12/2/2021 at 7:53 PM, Gregd said:

So is there a minimum grade on these books when collecting? Should I try to find books at 9.0 and up for instance? 

Which series are rarer to find? 

Yes. Shooting for 9.0 or above is a good starting point. Keep in mind, the bigger the book, the more it is susceptible to damage. Mags were always harder to store than comicbooks. Their larger size got them dinged and bent much more easily. So rarity really pertains to high grade minty copies. Almost any mag in mid grade is pretty common. Gothic Tales of Love is one title that is challenging in any grade though.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:53 PM, Gregd said:

So is there a minimum grade on these books when collecting? Should I try to find books at 9.0 and up for instance? 

Which series are rarer to find? 

If you stick to grades that high there are some you will never come across. Or if you do the will be extremely expensive. Like anything, get what suits your collecting needs/goals.