• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beginner’s Guide to Magazines
5 5

190 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, oakman29 said:

You are considering a medium that has nearly gone unnoticed by the comic book masses for quite awhile, dont know why but that's a time for a different conversation. Slowly but surely these comic magazines are growing in popularity,  and are not going to be cheap for long.

And the curious thing is that this holds for the USA alone. In Italy and other European countries, it’s not the format per se to count from a collecting viewpoint, so magazines, landscape formats, pocket formats, strip formats, have always been collected as much as formats close to the traditional american comic book ones.

As a single example: when our local publisher, Corno, decided to reprint the Fantastic Four in the 1970s, went with the magazine format and did a complete chronological work (intertwined with the Strange Tales Torch/Thing issues. It’s the edition where I read most of the early stories, and I love it, and although I prefer the original US editions, I decided to buy a full series in nice condition a few years ago. It stops around Fantastic Four #86, unfortunately.

Lc5XHGC.jpg

Edited by vaillant

On 12/3/2021 at 10:12 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Pretty much all the members in the magazine section are good natured, well intentioned, positive board members.  It's really the only part of the boards like that (in my experience).  A lot of that is from the relentless positivity of several like @wombat @oakman29 @The Lions Den @Jayman @Stevemmg @OtherEric @jimjum12 @batmiesta @FoggyNelson @N e r V and several others deserving of recognition but go unsung due to my limited cognitive faculties.

All are extremely knowledgable and very enthusiastic about magazines and glad to share with new collectors.  :cheers:

I don’t have many magazines in original US edition but @bounty_coder is an asset here. :)

On 12/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, Randall Dowling said:

@Artifiction Oakman and I are just messing around.  Truthfully, he's one of the best guys on the boards and a wealth of knowledge when it comes to magazines. (thumbsu 

Awwwwwww shucks! 🤗

On 12/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, Gregd said:

Are Blazing Combats desirable? If so, is one issue moreso than others?

I think I am partial to #4

They're all desirable, for both the Frazetta covers on every issue and some of the best war comics ever created in the interiors.  #1 is notoriously hard to find in grade.

Here's my copy of #3, from the John G. Fantucchio pedigree:

Blazing_Combat_3.jpg

On 12/4/2021 at 10:38 PM, Gregd said:

How hard is it to find Vampirella 7,11,31 in grade? 

Good luck finding an 11 in 9.6. There was a 9.4 on eBay that I eyed for just a little too long and someone snagged it. Warren Frazettas in grade are sublime :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 12/4/2021 at 11:19 PM, jimjum12 said:

Good luck finding an 11 in 9.6. There was a 9.4 on eBay that I eyed for just a little too long and someone snagged it. Warren Frazettas in grade are sublime :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks, Jim.

Love learning about this whole genre.

Our 7s tough? That seems like a very famous image. 

Is grading magazines similar to grading comics? For comics grading I was using a series of You Tube videos by eta Nick as a general guide. There is a guess the grade section here for comics but I didn't see many magazines posted.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:26 AM, horrorfan said:

Is grading magazines similar to grading comics? For comics grading I was using a series of You Tube videos by eta Nick as a general guide. There is a guess the grade section here for comics but I didn't see many magazines posted.

paging @The Lions Den

On 12/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, Gregd said:

Our 7s tough? That seems like a very famous image. 

In high grade, yes.  Mainly due to it's popularity.  Here's a snapshot of the current census (all credit for data to @valiantman and his excellent website cgcdata.com):

1026890590_ScreenShot2021-12-05at8_35_31AM.thumb.png.22f7859eea7ed13459755ea9ea29cc37.png

The hard part is they are similar to GA where very few change hands and thus prices can swing with 1 single sale per year. 

For example, the Blazing Combat 4 sold for about $128 for a 9.4 recently. There is a 9.6 at $600….but one sold at $500a few years ago.

So which is the aberration? Are there few sales because the books are scarce in those grades or because they aren’t as popular? Are there few high grades because folks don’t send them into grade because of lower prices vs comics? Or are there just fewer high grade magazines (which I think was mentioned)?