• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beginner’s Guide to Magazines
5 5

190 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, Gregd said:

By the way thanks for this extremely informative thread. Shared some if this with my 13 year old and says he loves the mags more than the comics! 

Also wants the Psycho 1 in high grade 😂

Me too.🤔😓

On 12/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I've heard this is OUTSTANDING!  Does anyone know if all of the hardcover editions carried Warren's autograph?  I can't find any definitive info on this.  Cheers!

Seems to me it was just the first thousand copies...

On 12/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, Jayman said:

with just more area for defects to show…:tonofbricks:

I think what the Lion has shared with me is that due to the larger size, they can tolerate slightly more flaws as the allowable amount is directly proportionate to the size of the book.

Anyone can feel free to clarify what I just wrote (it reads like English but might not make sense).

On 12/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I think what the Lion has shared with me is that due to the larger size, they can tolerate slightly more flaws as the allowable amount is directly proportionate to the size of the book.

Anyone can feel free to clarify what I just wrote (it reads like English but might not make sense).

Interesting. Looking at the early  Creepys and Eeries - not many 9.8s or 9.6s. 

On 12/5/2021 at 8:56 AM, Gregd said:

The hard part is they are similar to GA where very few change hands and thus prices can swing with 1 single sale per year. 

For example, the Blazing Combat 4 sold for about $128 for a 9.4 recently. There is a 9.6 at $600….but one sold at $500a few years ago.

So which is the aberration? Are there few sales because the books are scarce in those grades or because they aren’t as popular? Are there few high grades because folks don’t send them into grade because of lower prices vs comics? Or are there just fewer high grade magazines (which I think was mentioned)?

This is a great question.  The answer is that prices are (and have been for a little while) in transition and as you said, public sales of certain issues can be few and far between.  There are still some sellers that are pricing magazines according to prices in the guide and/or what they sold for 4-5 years ago.  Others are actively selling and have a good sense of what books readily and quickly sell for.  

A good example of this is Eerie 23.  I purchased a CGC 9.2, White Pages probably 14 years ago for $200.  It seemed like a lot of money at the time but I'd been looking for a while and hadn't found a nice copy, so I grabbed it.  For 10 years, I didn't see more nice copies come up.  And then, I saw a raw 9.0ish copy sell for $400 at auction on eBay.  Clearly there was pent up demand.  So much so that, for a little while, virtually all copies publicly available dried up.  Now, a 9.0 is probably a $600-$800 book.  A 9.6 sold a little while go for north of $1500.  As high grade material usually sets the tone, who knows what another 9.6 would sell for today.  I know quite a few people that are waiting for an opportunity.

As more people are figuring out how undervalued magazines are, there will be more and more public sales and the market will narrow the gap between highs and lows.  Until that happens, it's really just a matter of tracking the market for yourself.  When an opportunity comes to get a very high grade copy of something, I recommend being aggressive (unless it's just crazy).  Anything less has left me empty handed on the sidelines in the past.

Hope this helps.  2c

On 12/5/2021 at 8:08 PM, jimjum12 said:

One thing cool about mags, even though the cat's out of the bag about their growth, you can still go to any larger town LCS and ask to see the mags, and still find some pleasant surprises and bargains. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

That’s a good point- I will stop by my LCS to see what they have