• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beginner’s Guide to Magazines
5 5

190 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, jimjum12 said:

When I first felt myself pulled to "the dark side", I stopped at my LCS and they still had 4 stacks in the glass cases and maybe 6 more boxes beneath the comics.... all had prices from probably 5 years ago or more.... and the owner was glad to see the interest. There were a lot of sharp Skywalds and one stack had 4 copies of Creepy 15 in grade... I love that one as it has a Frazetta cover and an early Neal Adams story. I sold 3 and kept one for free. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yeah, Creepy 15 never seems to get the same love as other Frazetta covers, and I’m not sure why.  It’s good book, and very available in most non-nosebleed grades.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:42 PM, Hamlet said:

Yeah, Creepy 15 never seems to get the same love as other Frazetta covers, and I’m not sure why.  It’s good book, and very available in most non-nosebleed grades.

I'm pretty sure CGC recognizes it as a classic cover, too...  (thumbsu

On 12/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, Gregd said:

Interesting. Looking at the early  Creepys and Eeries - not many 9.8s or 9.6s. 

Please bear in mind that defects like chipped page corners, staple tears and finger smudges are very common on many Warren books. These defects can keep the books out of the higher grades...  

On 12/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, This is Who We Are said:

I've heard this is OUTSTANDING!  Does anyone know if all of the hardcover editions carried Warren's autograph?  I can't find any definitive info on this.  Cheers!

It is a very outstanding reference book. I dont know about the hardcover having Warren's autograph,  but I do own the soft cover . It's pretty amazing.

On 12/6/2021 at 5:14 PM, oakman29 said:

It is a very outstanding reference book. I dont know about the hardcover having Warren's autograph,  but I do own the soft cover . It's pretty amazing.

My recollection was that the HC was solely a signed and numbered edition with extra material (maybe a tipped in plate as well, I can't recall).  I have the softcover as well.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Beyond some of the books that people have shared, there's also some excellent texts by Dynamite (the current publisher of Vampirella).  Both are great resources with excellent notes and some rare images of Warren covers, used and unused.

MastersSpanishHCCover.jpg.9a1eb3814e3e4f21ff6570bb93e4c3b3.jpg

1681469793_51JWJ6nVYAL._SX376_BO1204203200_.jpg.6bf2961667caff1b5e7b60420b6342e1.jpg

Great books.

Can you guys comment on Eerie magazines… books like Tales from the Tomb, Tales of Voodoo and the like? I love the cartoony colorful covers.

Are they difficult to find in grade? Or very common? Are there certain issues that are more difficult to find then others?

On 12/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, Gregd said:

Can you guys comment on Eerie magazines… books like Tales from the Tomb, Tales of Voodoo and the like? I love the cartoony colorful covers.

Are they difficult to find in grade? Or very common? Are there certain issues that are more difficult to find then others?

There are plenty of folks here with more extensive knowledge about these mags, but from what I understand, certain issues are much more sought after than others...

On 12/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, Gregd said:

Eerie pubs. If you say Eerie magazines it might get confused with the Warran magazines. I think we have a thread dedicated them somewhere. 

On 12/6/2021 at 6:56 PM, Taylor G said:

kdV5oxH.jpg

I like the Warren Companion, it includes lots of interviews, but some of the aesthetic choices are baffling.

No mention of Wrightson's Jenifer or Heath's Shadow of the Axe in their list of best stories.  Some rate the latter as the single best Warren story. They even had their own editor insert a comment in the book about some of their choices.

Some of the best cover choices are equally baffling to me (though they admit that no two lists of the "best" covers are the same). Then you have people saying they're only collecting the issues with the best covers, like that means anything.

"Jenifer"... I need to dig that movie up and watch it, again. It's been awhile. Probably one of the creepiest movies out there imo.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, Artifiction said:

"Jenifer"... I need to dig that movie up and watch it, again. It's been awhile. Probably one of the creepiest movies out there imo.

I certainly is one of the best Creepy stories.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:56 PM, Taylor G said:

kdV5oxH.jpg

I like the Warren Companion, it includes lots of interviews, but some of the aesthetic choices are baffling.

No mention of Wrightson's Jenifer or Heath's Shadow of the Axe in their list of best stories.  Some rate the latter as the single best Warren story. They even had their own editor insert a comment in the book about some of their choices.

Some of the best cover choices are equally baffling to me (though they admit that no two lists of the "best" covers are the same). Then you have people saying they're only collecting the issues with the best covers, like that means anything.

I don't have the Warren Companion.  I do have the CBA issue that formed the initial basis for the book, though:

Comic Book Artist 04.jpg