• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice
3 3

76 posts in this topic

I contacted a dealer about two books on Sunday night. He replied, stating that he would look at my offer at the end of the day on Monday. On Tuesday, I contacted the same dealer, and got the same response. When I got home from work today, I still have not gotten a response.

To be honest, I don't want to keep pestering him, but I do want him to respond to my offer. I'm afraid that continuing to pester him will lead to him becoming angry, and rejecting my offer out of hand.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to deal with this? Thanks!

On 12/1/2021 at 9:07 PM, kav said:

Thats what I'd do.  I used to do the same with girls playing hard to get.
You missed your window-not interested any more.

Now THAT is funny!

C'mon man...we know they hold alllllll the power. :sumo::)

On 12/1/2021 at 9:25 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

Now THAT is funny!

C'mon man...we know they hold alllllll the power. :sumo::)

I found you jerk the power away when you dismiss them permanently after they try their hijinx.  They get desperate but its TOO LATE.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:28 PM, kav said:

I have stories.

I love it....lol

I can think of a few times where there were many choices and a similar strategy played out well. But if its slim pickin's...probably not the best go-to tactic.

Of course, I always seemed to get the psycho stalkers - I have stories too! :popcorn:

On 12/1/2021 at 9:51 PM, Buzzetta said:

At this point, if you see the book at a better price elsewhere you should grab it without any feelings of guilt.

• You inquired.
  • You were told Monday
  • Monday came and went.
  • You contacted again
  • You were told to wait.
  • You contacted again 
  • No response.

My questions to you:

1. How many other samples of that book have sold across the internet since you first inquired?
  2. How many of those other sales might you have considered purchasing if you were not waiting PAST the originally agreed amount of time? 

If something comes up, grab it at this point.  If they get back to you then say that you waited but since there was no response, you moved forward with another opportunity. 

As Matt said, they might be tied down with Black Friday and Cyber Monday and other orders.  However, you cannot be certain of that.  You checked three times.  You tried.  Don't be rude, or dismissive, (not saying you are) but this is strictly a business decision that you are making.   If they were to get back to you, you were ready to commit.  So basically your money is tied up here.   How much longer are you willing to tie up your money?

he could tell him his brother is a vet-

On 12/2/2021 at 3:55 PM, kav said:

he could tell him his brother is a vet-

That'll show him. 'I deal with cats and budgies all day, mate. I'm bigger than you'll ever hope to be!' 

On 12/1/2021 at 10:55 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I think these guys have it all wrong.  I think you should get more aggressive than before.  Start implying things about his family.  Cast aspersions on the quality of his inventory.  Neg the hell out of him!  

And when he comes back as either equally angry or aloof, ask him "Why do you seem so angry?"  No matter how he responds, repeat step one and keep on cycling through until he breaks and gives you the deal you want.  Then praise him.

Don't forget to nominate said dealer for the Hall of Shame if he refuses to cave to your demands, thus "interfering with your business".