• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice
3 3

76 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2021 at 11:45 AM, Math Teacher said:

The cost of the two books I am interested in is between $1,500 and $2,000. I have no idea of how much dealer takes in during a day, but I think a $1,500 purchase would be nothing to sneeze at.

Just as an update, I was interested in three books, not two. And I just purchased one of these books from a different venue. Now, the two books that I am interested in have an asking price of approximately $1,000.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, Math Teacher said:

Just as an update, I was interested in three books, not two. And I just purchased one of these books from a different venue. Now, the two books that I am interested in have an asking price of approximately $1,000.

Offer him $2000 and if he gets back to you fast you can call BS on his 'too busy' routine.  Or PM me the info and I'll send the offer!  lol 

On 12/2/2021 at 5:40 PM, Math Teacher said:

Since there seemed to be a concern of annoying the seller by following up.  I'd suggest letting him know that you're no longer interested in one of the books would be good communication on your part. 

I don't know if your offer was itemized by the book or a lot price for 3 books but if it's the latter you need to proactively advise him that the scope of the offer has changed.     If you don't rescind the offer before he accepts it you'd probably get opinions on both sides here as to which party was "in the wrong" if he was intent on forcing a sale via a hypothetical PL nomination.   2c

On 12/2/2021 at 7:47 PM, bababooey said:

Since there seemed to be a concern of annoying the seller by following up.  I'd suggest letting him know that you're no longer interested in one of the books would be good communication on your part. 

I don't know if your offer was itemized by the book or a lot price for 3 books but if it's the latter you need to proactively advise him that the scope of the offer has changed.     If you don't rescind the offer before he accepts it you'd probably get opinions on both sides here as to which party was "in the wrong" if he was intent on forcing a sale via a hypothetical PL nomination.   2c

I did exactly that. I emailed the dealer to tell him that I was no longer interested in one of the books, as I acquired it from another venue. The two books that I am interested in have an asking price of $980, and I offered $900. It's not that he rejected my offer; it's that he just hasn't replied at all.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 12/2/2021 at 9:49 PM, speedcake said:

This is a boardie regular doing this?

No, it is a dealer, and I have no idea if he is a member of this board or not.

I didn't want to divulge his name for several reasons:
     1) As I stated earlier, I didn't want someone to buy the books out from under me.
     2) I didn't want someone to tattle on me to this dealer.
     3) I didn't want this dealer to be subjected to undue criticism, especially if s/he doesn't have a chance to defend her/himself.
     4) I didn't want someone to tell me that they had never had any trouble ordering from this dealer, and the problem must be on my end.

I have decided that the course of action that I plan to take is to call him/her on Monday/Tuesday, rather than continue to email him/her. If s/he can't reply to me by then, s/he's passing up a $900+ sale. $900+ is not just chump change.

Edited by Math Teacher

If this is a dealer who has listed the comics for sale, you have every right to expect a timely response. There's a big difference between somebody making their living selling comics and somebody selling on the side. I would be concerned that they would also take their own sweet time shipping, and God forbid you have a problem. Unless you don't think you'll ever see these prices again from another seller, I wouldn't waste any more of my time with this guy. You obviously aren't a priority to him.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:22 PM, Galen130 said:

Message me with an offer on the same books, if I have them.  I’ll get back to you when my CGC slab submissions go through…next summer. :drumroll:

:roflmao:

Bad joke.  It seemed funny at the time, which was past my bedtime. :facepalm: lol

Well, our long national nightmare is over.

I contacted the dealer yesterday via text, and he replied almost immediately. He wanted to accept my offer of $900 for the two books, but I said that I had to wait six days for a reply (and technically, he didn't reply - I contacted him), and I felt that I deserved a discount. He offered me a $25 discount, and I accepted. I picked up two Flash books that I had been searching for, and, once the dealer removes them from the company's website, I'll tell you what two books I got.

I know that some of you are thinking that I am being obstinate for not naming the dealer, but I explained my reasoning above. And I also know how some of you have great detective skills.

Thank you for all your advice. You guys are the best! (worship)

On 12/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, Math Teacher said:

That is a very logical guess, but those are not the books that I am talking about.

What I've often found is that the same books come along again soon in another setting, so maybe not stress too much over these copies. In similar situations I've found that waiting would've got me a better deal too. So this delay in his response may go in your favour with a little patience. Good luck either way!

On 12/4/2021 at 6:23 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, our long national nightmare is over.

I contacted the dealer yesterday via text, and he replied almost immediately. He wanted to accept my offer of $900 for the two books, but I said that I had to wait six days for a reply (and technically, he didn't reply - I contacted him), and I felt that I deserved a discount. He offered me a $25 discount, and I accepted. I picked up two Flash books that I had been searching for, and, once the dealer removes them from the company's website, I'll tell you what two books I got.

I know that some of you are thinking that I am being obstinate for not naming the dealer, but I explained my reasoning above. And I also know how some of you have great detective skills.

Thank you for all your advice. You guys are the best! (worship)

I would find the lack of response irritating and although you could argue that maybe the dealer was busy with life he could have also been busy trying to sell it to someone else.

I don’t think you are being obstinate by not naming the dealer, you are simply keeping your cards close to your chest, very sensible in collecting from my experience!

I also need some advice is it OK to ask it on this thread?

On 12/5/2021 at 12:53 PM, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I would find the lack of response irritating and although you could argue that maybe the dealer was busy with life he could have also been busy trying to sell it to someone else.

I don’t think you are being obstinate by not naming the dealer, you are simply keeping your cards close to your chest, very sensible in collecting from my experience!

I also need some advice is it OK to ask it on this thread?

Do it.  That's why I'm here.  

On 12/5/2021 at 5:56 PM, Wolverinex said:

Do it.  That's why I'm here.  

Thanks

Are Signed Comics (Yellow labels) worth more than unsigned ones (Blue labels) assuming same grade and page colour?

When a seller says the GPA price is a certain figure do they mean the last price shown on GPA?