• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice
3 3

76 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 11:59 PM, Turnando said:

I'd walk away from it.  If he responds later this week I'd ignore it.

He's already broken a few commitments.  Small ones, yes, but a flake is a flake and that dude is a flake.  Flakes are the people whose problems become your problems.

Agreed.  Forget it.  

On 12/2/2021 at 7:34 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I'm sorry but is this really a thread? Are you really asking if you should exercise patience or continue to nag the person?

Perspective...any seller, be it someone who runs a business or someone like me who sells books to fund my collection, is living life. I have kids, a job and lots of other things that in reality, take precedence over comics. Sometimes I am able to reply instantly to requests or inquiries about books. Sometimes I see the request, say "hey I will get back tomorrow" and then tomorrow starts with an unplanned work meeting, followed by getting home to find the kids had a rough day and my wife deserves a break so rather than tend to comics for second, I handle the kids, then make supper then am beat and just wanna relax after they are in bed by watching some television with my wife. So that "hey I will get back to you tomorrow" is now another day. I think sometimes buyers (for whatever reason), think that a delayed response is on purpose....it's not. It's like reading a text message. People read text messages (and even messages here) with whatever tone THEY believe. Don't ever do that because you will always create drama and concern and problems that don't actually exist. 

I try my hardest to not leave people hanging for multiple days but reality is, if this person is like me (or even someone running a business, especially one where on top of managing the online world, they are also managing a store or shop) I can imagine your message getting pushed aside in favour of people actually visiting the shop. Remember, you may be a legit potential buyer online but guarantee this seller has had hundreds of "hey I'm interested" messages that go nowhere. And again, if they only sell online, well it is likely a very busy time of year.

In conclusion, you have sent two messages. Give him a few days. Send another message on Monday or over the weekend, stressing it as a friendly reminder of your interest and how you want the book. And if it's not meant to be, move along and continue the hunt. 

First, I would like to apologize to you for making such an inane post.

Second, I understand completely about how life can interfere with your daily responsibilities. As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

The reason I posted is because I have never experienced this before. I have purchased books from many online dealers, and I often get a response the same day, or the next day at the latest. And buying a book from a dealer is not like buying something at Target. I have no option to negotiate at Target, while I usually can do that when I work with a dealer. Also, it's not like my purchase will be for a trivial amount. The cost of the two books I am interested in is between $1,500 and $2,000. I have no idea of how much dealer takes in during a day, but I think a $1,500 purchase would be nothing to sneeze at.

I want to determine the correct protocol to follow. I don't like to be nagged either. I'm married - that's all I need to say about that. I think @kav summarized my worry the best. If I continue to pester him, he may choose not to negotiate or he might raise his asking price.

@Buzzetta, I don't think I am tying up my money. As of right now, I am difficulty finding books on my want list for a reasonable price. I saw two very nice books that I would like to have, and I appreciated the convenience of getting them both at the same time.

Also, I have checked many online dealers, but I haven't found a comparable book.

As of now, I am going to follow the consensus of advice. I am going to wait until next Monday/Tuesday to contact him, and if I don't get a response, I will just move on.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 12/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, Math Teacher said:

First, I would like to apologize to you for making such an inane post.

Second, I understand completely about how life can interfere with your daily responsibilities. As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

The reason I posted is because I have never experienced this before. I have purchased books from many online dealers, and I often get a response the same day, or the next day at the latest. And buying a book from a dealer is not like buying something at Target. I have no option to negotiate at Target, while I usually can do that when I work with a dealer. Also, it's not like my purchase will be for

a trivial amount. The cost of the two books I am interested in is between $1,500 and $2,000. I have no idea of how much dealer takes in during a day, but I think a $1,500 purchase would be nothing to sneeze at.

I want to determine the correct protocol to follow. I don't like to be nagged either. I'm married - that's all I need to say about that. I think @kav summarized my worry the best. If I continue to pester him, he may choose not to negotiate or he might raise his asking price.

@Buzzetta, I don't think I am tying up my money. As of right now, I am difficulty finding books on my want list for a reasonable price. I saw two very nice books that I would like to have, and I appreciated the convenience of getting them both at the same time.

As of now, I am going to follow the consensus of advice. I am going to wait until next Monday/Tuesday to contact him, and if I don't get a response, I will just move on.

Another side to the 'hey people are busy living their life' is 'dont list stuff till you are free to deal with selling it in a professional manner' though.  Like you, I have also never been ignored when waving money at a seller.

If it was a good offer they should have accepted or countered. If it was a fair offer they should have accepted or countered. If it was not a reasonable offer they may be unhappy with a low ball and trolling you. What I sometimes do if it was a reasonable offer and they just have a unreasonable price is offer like a $100 bucks less than their asking price which is likely well above fmv and see if and how they respond. Usually it's a fast yes. I turn the tables on them and let them message me numerous times a day. When they give up I reply how I was away and ask if the offer is still available and obviously at that price it is. Ignore their replies again a few times. Then tell them I don't get paid till Friday is that ok, obviously at that price it is. Eventually ending with how my 3 year old got on and made that offer without my permission.

On 12/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, Thisisrequired said:

If it was a good offer they should have accepted or countered. If it was a fair offer they should have accepted or countered. If it was not a reasonable offer they may be unhappy with a low ball and trolling you. What I sometimes do if it was a reasonable offer and they just have a unreasonable price is offer like a $100 bucks less than their asking price which is likely well above fmv and see if and how they respond. Usually it's a fast yes. I turn the tables on them and let them message me numerous times a day. When they give up I reply how I was away and ask if the offer is still available and obviously at that price it is. Ignore their replies again a few times. Then tell them I don't get paid till Friday is that ok, obviously at that price it is. Eventually ending with how my 3 year old got on and made that offer without my permission.

oh man, that's hardcore.  Perhaps you should get the dealer's info from @Math Teacher  and let us know how the guy responds after you ghost tease him 

I believe the dealer should give the comic books for free for your inconvenience. As he is doing that, please request that he also send me two free comic books. Any two CGC 9.8 are fine. My mailing address is forthcoming via pm.

:signofftopic:I joke.

I’d try to find the books elsewhere.  If he gets back with you in the meantime, great.  If not, oh well.  You tried a couple times, he said he’s going to get back with you but hasn’t.  He’s not too concerned with it for whatever reason, so you shouldn’t be either.  I get that you’ve found copies you want.  But barring some sort of bad thing that happened to him, he should’ve responded by now.  If it’s any indication already how a deal might go, might be a good thing that you can move on.

On 12/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Intriguing post, but what would make it more so would be knowing which 2 books, what grade they are and how much he's asking vs what you're offering. (The name and address of the dealer would be too much to ask but give us some juice, please!) :foryou:

Pure conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised is its these two books:

On 12/2/2021 at 12:33 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Intriguing post, but what would make it more so would be knowing which 2 books, what grade they are and how much he's asking vs what you're offering. (The name and address of the dealer would be too much to ask but give us some juice, please!) :foryou:

I didn't want to list the books because I didn't want a fellow board member to buy them out from under me. And I didn't want to offend the dealer by complaining about his lack of professionalism. A later post in this thread attempted to guess what these books were, but they were way off.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 12/2/2021 at 12:39 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Look, I can understand the argument that the dealer may be quite busy this time of year. When I attempt to contact him on Monday/Tuesday, I will call him rather than email him.

FYI - The asking price for the two books is $980, and my offer was for $900, which is approximately an 8% discount.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, Math Teacher said:

Look, I can understand the argument that the dealer may be quite busy this time of year. When I attempt to contact him on Monday/Tuesday, I will call him rather than email him.

FYI - The asking price for the two books is $980, and my offer was for $900, which is approximately an 8% discount.

That certainly seems reasonable (a term that's in the eye of the beholder I suppose); it's certainly in line with offers I've made on Board and Dealer purchases that have been accepted.