• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time of year again: Post your favorite acquisitions of 2021...
8 8

169 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Beautiful art. At the risk of exposing my ignorance, who is the artist?

No worries, Clark. You took care of that long ago. :baiting:

J. Allen St. John. It is the cover art for the dust jacket of Edgar Rice Burroughs' At The Earth's Core.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 12/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, MrBedrock said:

jallenstjohn.jpg

Congrats on the great book! 

On 12/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, mwotka said:

A lot of great stuff so far.  Here are some of my favorites from this year.  The Flessel art is a recent pickup for me that I am very excited to have.

Adventure 36 married.jpg

The handwritten "Flanagan" on this one is fascinating.  It was only a few years ago that the hobby discovered that Richard Flanagan was the artist on these jungle covers.  It's highly unlikely that, since that recent discovery, a collector would have written the name on the cover, which means it was likely written long ago.  But by whom and why?  I'd love to know the story behind this.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:30 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The handwritten "Flanagan" on this one is fascinating.  It was only a few years ago that the hobby discovered that Richard Flanagan was the artist on these jungle covers.  It's highly unlikely that, since that recent discovery, a collector would have written the name on the cover, which means it was likely written long ago.  But by whom and why?  I'd love to know the story behind this.

I bought a lot on Heritage of 3 Flanagan Adventure covers, front cover only.  All three have Flanagan written on them, no idea why.  Literally like one week later a coverless 36 popped up on eBay and presto!  But if I had to guess I would say an older generation collector with more familiarity with his career as a pulp artist bought those issues and razored the covers off and stuck them in a file or something along those lines. If you were a reader of a lot of contemporary fiction in the 1930s, it is likely Flanagan was more recognizable, especially given his Fu Manchu work in Colliers, a magazine with several million regular readers.