• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time of year again: Post your favorite acquisitions of 2021...
8 8

169 posts in this topic

My that's a large tome, one would think it should be registered as a deadly weapon. 

Congrat's, Flex ... I shudder to think what something like that would cost. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/7/2021 at 10:36 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Since comics have not been my collecting focus this year, I hope no-one will mind if I post one non-related grail, one of many bird illustration books acquired in the past twelve months, but the one true grail for reasons of scarcity, demand, quality, content and price. [The first two images are of my actual copy, interior illos internet sourced to spare you my atrocious photographs! The text is also borrowed.]

Birds Drawn For John Gould By Edward Lear

Edward Lear had an eye for landscapes and an ear for rhyme, but it was neither as a travel painter nor as a poet that he first displayed his prolific talent. Between 1832 – when he was just 20 – and 1838, Lear created 80 bird portraits for the naturalist and entrepreneur John Gould.

For many, they are the world’s finest ornithological illustrations.The plates were produced using the fledgling art of lithography and coloured by hand. They featured in Gould’s celebrated books, intermingled with the work of other, often less accomplished artists. David Attenborough first saw one of Lear’s plates in the 1950s, and was so struck by its precision and grace that he determined to collect them all. When the collection was complete, he had them encased in an original 19th-century leather binding. To celebrate the bicentenary of Lear’s birth, Attenborough allowed The Folio Society to reproduce the entire volume in facsimile.

Lear’s bird plates, to my eyes at least, rank among the finest of their kind … to know that they will now be available to a broader audience, published together for the first time, is immensely rewarding. What’s more, the work undertaken by The Folio Society to reproduce not only the prints, but even an original 19th-century binding, has produced an edition worthy of this great artist. Bound in full leather, elaborately gold-blocked, it is a truly remarkable reproduction. There could hardly be a better celebration of Lear’s 200th anniversary.’ David Attenborough

A spectacular body of work: The majority of the plates are from The Birds of Europe, a vast publication issued in 22 parts between 1832 and 1837. The rest are from subsequent publications by Gould, including a volume devoted to the toucans.

Lear handled this wide range of species with astonishing skill. Whether painting the diminutive tengmalm’s owl, the exotic green araçari or the little egret with its long, elegant neck and delicate plumage, he approached each subject with superb attention to detail. Also remarkable was his ability to capture the idiosyncrasies of each bird, from the defiant tilt of an outsized beak to the solemn glare of a gleaming yellow eye.

In his introduction to this magnificent facsimile, David Attenborough explores the early development of Lear’s artistry, his partnership with Gould, and the innovation and flair that helped to make these bird prints exceptional. Attenborough’s knowledge and enthusiasm make this the perfect introductory text.

An ‘imperial Folio’ edition crafted in the image of the great 19th-century bird books: Meticulously reproducing Attenborough’s original 19th-century binding, this edition captures the elegant aesthetic of the imposing bird books in which Lear’s work originally appeared. Each copy contains a limitation certificate, printed letterpress, and signed by David Attenborough.

Limited to just 780 copies, this is the only published edition to gather together all the prints that Lear created for John Gould.

Birds Drawn For John Gould By Edward Lear.jpg

Birds Drawn For John Gould By Edward Lear2.jpg

Birds Drawn For John Gould By Edward Lear 3.jpg

What a wonderful volume!  I remember talking to one of my professors who had graduated from Cambridge and he explained that during the age of enlightenment, a student was expected to be not an artist or a scientist or a mathematician or a philosopher or a musician but rather they were expected to be all of those things.  And all were important as you went about your vocation.  If you were studying birds, you needed to be able to draw them, measure them, describe their song, document their behavior, etc.  All of these skills were employed, working together toward a holistic understanding of any given subject.

Your beautiful book looks to be an example of someone who was educated by that tradition.  Thanks for sharing it!  

On 12/8/2021 at 12:07 AM, Randall Dowling said:

What a wonderful volume!  I remember talking to one of my professors who had graduated from Cambridge and he explained that during the age of enlightenment, a student was expected to be not an artist or a scientist or a mathematician or a philosopher or a musician but rather they were expected to be all of those things.  And all were important as you went about your vocation.  If you were studying birds, you needed to be able to draw them, measure them, describe their song, document their behavior, etc.  All of these skills were employed, working together toward a holistic understanding of any given subject.

Your beautiful book looks to be an example of someone who was educated by that tradition.  Thanks for sharing it!  

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

Sir Isaac Newton

On 12/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, GLD said:

So many great books, but I think this wins. I love St. John, I almost think this cannot be in private hands........

Thanks. Come to Houston and visit it anytime!