• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production error miss cut

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to grading comic books and having them encapsulated by cgc. I have an older book Tales of Suspense 87 that has a miss cut from the printer that has caused the cover to be larger. Can I still have this graded by cgc? Will it receive a blue label? Can it be encapsulated being that it is now a little bit larger on the cover? I think this is a wonderful book and would love to have it encapsulated.

20211204_152111.jpg

20211204_152103.jpg

On 12/4/2021 at 11:36 PM, Eitan Kalma said:

Hello, I am new to grading comic books and having them encapsulated by cgc. I have an older book Tales of Suspense 87 that has a miss cut from the printer that has caused the cover to be larger. Can I still have this graded by cgc? Will it receive a blue label? Can it be encapsulated being that it is now a little bit larger on the cover? I think this is a wonderful book and would love to have it encapsulated.

That is cool. As the Lion implied, CGC would struggle to slab that book with the fold open as the overhang would just get crushed as the book moved around in the inner sleeve. But you could ask CGC to slab it with the fold closed up? That is how it naturally came off the presses after all. The miscut is the salient feature of the book, so having the fold up would visually accentuate that. Some would find that silly of course, but not everyone thinks the same way, do they Eitan. And it would be cool to see how it came back. Something different.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:32 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That is cool. As the Lion implied, CGC would struggle to slab that book with the fold open as the overhang would just get crushed as the book moved around in the inner sleeve. But you could ask CGC to slab it with the fold closed up? That is how it naturally came off the presses after all. The miscut is the salient feature of the book, so having the fold up would visually accentuate that. Some would find that silly of course, but not everyone thinks the same way, do they Eitan. And it would be cool to see how it came back. Something different.

This is how I would ask to have the book encapsulated...as it came off the presses. Might not be the most visually aesthetic, but it accurately portrays its history.

He talks about Spider-man being a lot more red than the newsstand copy, there is no difference in color that's done on purpose cause it's a newsstand, only differance at the printer is a mere black plate change.  He failed to notice how red the kingpin is compared to the other copy. This is 4 color printing that was being used, black, blue, red and yellow. If you really want me to get technical Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow  or Black + 3 color plates. There is no "green ink"  Want more green?  Add more blue.  Most people don't realize that the pressman has complete control over the color of the ink and where.