• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #5 page count assistance
4 4

13 posts in this topic

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out with this, I'm new to the forums. I recently saved up enough funds to purchase a entry level copy of fantastic four 5 raw. I felt very comfortable with the seller because I've done business with them before but I'm a little skeptical after making the purchase. We both counted all the pages before I bought it, the story is complete along with other advertisements like the hulk advertisement and letter from roy thomas. I counted all pages including the ads and it came out to 32 pages front and back. However on go collects site, it says there are a total of 36 pages in the book. I'm now wondering if there were 2 ad pages (front and back) that are missing from the book. Can anyone who owns a FF 5 confirm this? I did not see any torn advertisement pages throughout the book, unless some pages were cut clean from the comic. 

Many ways to describe page count… it can be confusing. 
   32 pages of story and ads.

8 sheets of paper stapled together, each with 4 pages of story or ads. = 32

8 pages before and after the staples, each with a front and a back of story or ads. = 32

… each count also has 4 cover pages.  Total 32 plus 4 cover pages. 

On 12/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, Pontoon said:

The Grand Comics Database duly notes the content of each page:

https://www.comics.org/issue/17043/

When counting pages, you should have 8 pages to the right of the centerfold and 8 pages to the left, not counting the covers.

The page order at Grand matches what I see. 

Front cover, ad on inside front cover, 5 story pages, Fan Mail page, ad page, 5 story pages, ad page, 3 story pages, ad page, 5 story pages, ad page, house ad for Hulk 1 (full page), ad page, 5 story pages, 2 ad pages, ad on inside back cover, ad on outside of back cover.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:03 AM, mark vega said:

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out with this, I'm new to the forums. I recently saved up enough funds to purchase a entry level copy of fantastic four 5 raw. I felt very comfortable with the seller because I've done business with them before but I'm a little skeptical after making the purchase. We both counted all the pages before I bought it, the story is complete along with other advertisements like the hulk advertisement and letter from roy thomas. I counted all pages including the ads and it came out to 32 pages front and back. However on go collects site, it says there are a total of 36 pages in the book. I'm now wondering if there were 2 ad pages (front and back) that are missing from the book. Can anyone who owns a FF 5 confirm this? I did not see any torn advertisement pages throughout the book, unless some pages were cut clean from the comic. 

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Hi thanks yall for your input! 

I went back to the con to talk to the dealer I bought my FF #5 from and we also counted another silver age book from the same period. It had 16 pages which means it has 32 internal pages front and back not counting the covers and splash pages of the covers. Thank you! My book was missing the back cover. I managed to submit it at the CGC booth at the LA Comic Con. I did not want to send that book in the mail with all my other high grade silver age DC too dam scary to lose that in the mail lol 

On 12/6/2021 at 11:27 PM, mark vega said:

Hi thanks yall for your input! 

I went back to the con to talk to the dealer I bought my FF #5 from and we also counted another silver age book from the same period. It had 16 pages which means it has 32 internal pages front and back not counting the covers and splash pages of the covers. Thank you! My book was missing the back cover. I managed to submit it at the CGC booth at the LA Comic Con. I did not want to send that book in the mail with all my other high grade silver age DC too dam scary to lose that in the mail lol 

How could you not notice the back cover was missing?

On 12/7/2021 at 12:35 PM, MattTheDuck said:

We been punked.

Yes, a lot of inconsistencies.  Could not tell the difference between a glossy and heavier back cover and regular interior page paper.  If the back cover is missing, how is the front cover still in place???  You don't notice the front cover page being separated at the spine from the back cover, while somehow still miraculously not just falling off the staples??  Maybe taped on?

And this while you are counting pages, actually looking for missing pages?

Originally not sure if it should be 36 or 32.  Counts it as 32.  Finds back cover missing, so nets out at 34???  How does 32 = 34?  Also thinks the splash page is the inside of the covers, which it is not.

After all that, a book with no back cover, possibly another couple of pages unaccounted for, gets submitted for grading???

Lmao!!! 

I knew the back cover was missing when I bought it, I was just mentioning it for the hell of it. The front cover was completely detached, torn off, but it was just placed on top of the book. 

I counted all internal pages, front and back of each page and it came out to 32. If I include the front cover, counting both sides of it it comes out to a total of 34. On Go collect they have this book listed with 36 pages.

I felt reassured knowing that other silver age books had 32 internal pages as well when we checked them. Does this make better sense? I knew the back cover was missing when I bought it. The book is gonna get a 0.5 no doubt, it's a beater.