• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I know if it's real?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

So, I'm looking to buy my first ever piece of original art and found a piece that is perfect for what I am thinking, but a quick search online and I see this seller has a less than perfect history.  How do I know if what is being offered is the real deal?  Should I just avoid this seller at all costs?

Thanks for any help on the topic.

Mister Miracle 14 Cover Art - signed by Jack Kirby

mm14.jpg

On 12/5/2021 at 8:17 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Not yet.  Filled out the "Inquiry" just this afternoon.

If you're not gray-haired now, you soon will be!

As others have said, the art's real . . . though the logo and caption-box areas look super-clean.  If such things bother you, ask if those elements had been cleaned-up or replaced.  The Brothers D like to tinker with such things.  :gossip:

Oh, and if you do manage to work out a deal with the Brothers D, you might want to change your avatar name to 'Mister Miracle'!  :wink:

Edited by The Voord

Thanks all.  Sounds more like the answer is to stay away and forget that one.  Glad I asked.

Thoughts on Nostalgic Investments and the Half Splash linked below?  I didn't find anything negative online, and I have already bought an inexpensive Kirby print from them, plus, bonus, they actually put prices on things :D

I'm looking at a Half Splash from there that seems reasonably priced, no?

Thor #139 pg 8

On 12/6/2021 at 7:59 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Thanks all.  Sounds more like the answer is to stay away and forget that one.  Glad I asked.

Thoughts on Nostalgic Investments and the Half Splash linked below?  I didn't find anything negative online, and I have already bought an inexpensive Kirby print from them, plus, bonus, they actually put prices on things :D

I'm looking at a Half Splash from there that seems reasonably priced, no?

Thor #139 pg 8

Not for a page with only the hand of Thor. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:41 AM, artdealer said:

Agreed.  This is where you run the risk of buying because it's Kirby + Thor, but it's really not a Thor page.  Find a page you want and within your budget, but the best advice is to understand what you want and get the right example.  Well, that is where I am after 20 years of collecting and trading up (aka fixing my mistakes).

On 12/6/2021 at 8:41 AM, artdealer said:

Given your years of experience do you see the price for OA like that coming down at some point, or do you think if one is patient a similar piece could be found now for less, or might there be room to negotiate on that piece?  It's unfortunate I am coming new to this arena at a time of incredible price inflation, but "C'est la vie" as they say.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:44 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

Agreed.  This is where you run the risk of buying because it's Kirby + Thor, but it's really not a Thor page.  Find a page you want and within your budget, but the best advice is to understand what you want and get the right example.  Well, that is where I am after 20 years of collecting and trading up (aka fixing my mistakes).

Reading through the advice thread I saw a common theme of folks feeling that their original purchases weren't what they would wish for today.  Is it possible your first purchases were what you liked then and your likes changed, or did you learn something along the way that showed you your early purchases were not well informed?

I have a painting that is of some considerable value that I bought years ago, but I never bought again since I already spent what I thought I could on art.  I love that painting and never regretted spending big and only getting one.  (I do have other pieces hanging on my walls, but those were inherited.)

Now, the biggest question in my mind is whether or not to buy one big piece of comic OA and accept that I may not buy again, or try for smaller items so I can buy a few.  Not sure how I feel so I may have to just sit on my hands for a while.  My dilemma can be seen in the two listing I showed so far.  The first was an example of what I think I truly want, a Kirby signed Cover or Splash of something I own in comic form. It, for sure, would be a one and done purchase.  The second would leave me open to more purchases in the future, and is something I like, but don't really love.  Do I want to collect art or buy one piece I truly love?  Ah, well first world problems and all that. 

As noted above, it seems a bit pricey for a Thor page with the hand of Thor plus a (very) small image of Thor (and Sif) in the upper left. 

Lots of Rock Trolls though. 

Good advice from GotSuperPowers?.  Take the time to study the market, check out auction house results and decide what you like and where your money is best spent.   

And, as an aside, how is Ulik worthy to lift/wield Mjolnir?     

On 12/6/2021 at 9:28 AM, Captain Calamity said:

As noted above, it seems a bit pricey for a Thor page with the hand of Thor plus a (very) small image of Thor (and Sif) in the upper left. 

Lots of Rock Trolls though. 

Good advice from GotSuperPowers?.  Take the time to study the market, check out auction house results and decide what you like and where your money is best spent.   

And, as an aside, how is Ulik worthy to lift/wield Mjolnir?     

Hah, I asked the same question.  Have to go on Comixology and read the books to figure it out 'cuz it's driving me nuts wondering :D

On 12/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Reading through the advice thread I saw a common theme of folks feeling that their original purchases weren't what they would wish for today.  Is it possible your first purchases were what you liked then and your likes changed, or did you learn something along the way that showed you your early purchases were not well informed?

There would be a lot of varied answers to this question, but for me, I didn't know what I wanted.  I just found original art and bought what I could afford.  It took a couple of years for me to focus more on what I really liked (specific artists, specific series, etc.) and buy that.  But even then, what I didn't do that I try and do now is be more selective in what I buy.  I would buy a piece, not THE piece.  Not that you can always buy THE piece but you hopefully get what I mean - buy something that means something to you.  If you're thinking one and done makes sense, buy the one that hits the right points for you.  Maybe it is this Thor page, or maybe it's one that costs slightly more but is Thor in action, or in a quite moment.

I'm still buying the same stuff I was buying 20 years ago, price permitting.  I'm not a Kirby buyer though, so while prices are high for me, they aren't Kirby high!

On 12/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Given your years of experience do you see the price for OA like that coming down at some point, or do you think if one is patient a similar piece could be found now for less, or might there be room to negotiate on that piece?  It's unfortunate I am coming new to this arena at a time of incredible price inflation, but "C'est la vie" as they say.

I have a painting that is of some considerable value that I bought years ago, but I never bought again since I already spent what I thought I could on art.  I love that painting and never regretted spending big and only getting one.  (I do have other pieces hanging on my walls, but those were inherited.)

Now, the biggest question in my mind is whether or not to buy one big piece of comic OA and accept that I may not buy again, or try for smaller items so I can buy a few.  Not sure how I feel so I may have to just sit on my hands for a while.  My dilemma can be seen in the two listing I showed so far.  The first was an example of what I think I truly want, a Kirby signed Cover or Splash of something I own in comic form. It, for sure, would be a one and done purchase.  The second would leave me open to more purchases in the future, and is something I like, but don't really love.  Do I want to collect art or buy one piece I truly love?  Ah, well first world problems and all that. 

Buy what you love 

Don’t  settle for 2nd best, just to have an example that you won’t be happy with. 

Even if you have to save more, get the piece you really want.