• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I know if it's real?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Given your years of experience do you see the price for OA like that coming down at some point, or do you think if one is patient a similar piece could be found now for less, or might there be room to negotiate on that piece?  It's unfortunate I am coming new to this arena at a time of incredible price inflation, but "C'est la vie" as they say.

Reading through the advice thread I saw a common theme of folks feeling that their original purchases weren't what they would wish for today.  Is it possible your first purchases were what you liked then and your likes changed, or did you learn something along the way that showed you your early purchases were not well informed?

I have a painting that is of some considerable value that I bought years ago, but I never bought again since I already spent what I thought I could on art.  I love that painting and never regretted spending big and only getting one.  (I do have other pieces hanging on my walls, but those were inherited.)

Now, the biggest question in my mind is whether or not to buy one big piece of comic OA and accept that I may not buy again, or try for smaller items so I can buy a few.  Not sure how I feel so I may have to just sit on my hands for a while.  My dilemma can be seen in the two listing I showed so far.  The first was an example of what I think I truly want, a Kirby signed Cover or Splash of something I own in comic form. It, for sure, would be a one and done purchase.  The second would leave me open to more purchases in the future, and is something I like, but don't really love.  Do I want to collect art or buy one piece I truly love?  Ah, well first world problems and all that. 

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t be buying anything at all. You sound like someone who wants to buy a piece of OA because you feel like you should have a piece of OA. Frankly, I don’t think that’s a great reason. A lot of pricing is a function of nostalgia, so if you don’t feel for the piece, what’s the point?

I’m unusual in that my taste hasn’t wavered much over the years; it has grown more expansive, however, as to what I consider good. My first 3 purchases were a Neal Adams Phantom Stranger cover, a Swamp Thing page from the Tottleben/Bissette run, and a title page from a Spirit weekly (since destroyed by flooding). I knew what I liked, and what I thought was good. It hasn’t changed. 

Coollines does sell, you know, but they are high. You might be better off waiting until something comes up at an auction sale in the next 18 months or so, and use the time to study the market. Nostalgic Investments isn’t as bad, but Bechara knows how to hold onto pieces and extract a high price for them, too.

And yes, things do go down, but quietly. Golden Age work, so I hear, has dropped. So have some specific artists. Sometimes, rather than acknowledging a drop, a piece will sit in a dealer’s inventory for a long time, and it then shows up in auction. That’s how I got an 8 page story from Cool Lines. There has also been a lot of speculation on the boards about when/if the bubble will burst. But, if you love the piece, it never really will drop because price is irrelevant.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, artdealer said:

Buy what you love 

Don’t  settle for 2nd best, just to have an example that you won’t be happy with. 

Even if you have to save more, get the piece you really want. 

Hmmm.  Very good point.  Wait a year and I might be able to afford what I REALLY would love (that being a Captain America Cover or Splash)  rather than buying a character and/or type of art that is not my heart's desire but I could swing today.  Of course, then there's the chance the market keeps moving just out of my range.