• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decent sized collection

15 posts in this topic

So I have a decent sized collection of comics probably around 600 or so from late 80s to mid to late 90s. I just wanted to know how to go about selling them or getting then graded, if it's worth my time or if there's people out there that will offer a good deal/price for collection of that size

This is NOT a for sale post, just relating our story of selling to the OP.

My Son was/is selling his books, about 2000 with runs of ASM 201 - 440, Daredevil 133 - 211, F.F. 201 - 416, Uncanny X-Men 94 - 150, X-Men 1 - 91, Full/Complete Runs of ROM, Spectacular Spider-Man, Web Of Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Sensational Spider-Man, Silver Surfer Vol. 1, 2, 3., Transformers (Vol. 1) 1 - 80, Marvel Superhero Secret Wars (Vol 1) 1 - 12, etc.

I contacted about 10 dealers in my area and only one dealer was interested and came to see the books, he offered $800.00 for all 2000 books and we said NO.

I have been selling them for him (sold 109 books) and just selling those books (many keys) we have already received 2.5 times what the dealer offered for the entire lot, so we have about 1900 books left, the majority of which I will suggest he sell at a yard sale since they are basically dollar bin books.

IMO, you should learn to grade the books yourself (grade a book then post in the "Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" section to see if the group agrees), price the books (using eBay Sold Auction Prices which is actual FMV for the same book in the same grade) and sell them here or on Facebook (all of my sales were on Facebook), eBay would be the very last resort, since they are 80's/90's books My Comic Shop will probably not be interested, they were not interested in buying the majority of our books.

These books are filled with great info, even though the Price Guide's prices may be outdated there is plenty of good info in those pages.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide/dp/1603602771

https://gemstonepub.com/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-6th-edition/

If you post a list of the books you have I am sure folks will tell you if there are any books of value that you should get graded.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:12 AM, Crakdkaine said:

So I have a decent sized collection of comics probably around 600 or so from late 80s to mid to late 90s. I just wanted to know how to go about selling them or getting then graded, if it's worth my time or if there's people out there that will offer a good deal/price for collection of that size

No one is going to give you a good price for it all. Go to a key issue database (like this one https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/) and figure out if you own any issues that are key, and thus likely worth something.  Try remembering which issues you have that have a first character appearance, for instance. Sell those individually, you can figure out the worth by looking at previously sold listings on e-bay. Don't get anything graded unless those issues look flawless (because you'll have to wait a year to get them back and whatever price you pay for grading would be a loss since you could instead just sell the hot comics as is). You could sell those better books either here, on e-ay or through mycomicshop.com, which is who I do business with. Then, for the rest, just dump them at a local comic shop at 10 cents an issue, which is the standard rate.

What I just wrote is literally your best way to maximise how much you'll get out of it with the least effort. Any other option is either a greater loss or more effort (which may not be worthwhile depending on how you value your time).

On 12/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, Crakdkaine said:

Where are you located? Depending on your location I know many dealers who will make an effort to drive to you

On 12/7/2021 at 10:40 PM, littledoom said:

Where are you located? Depending on your location I know many dealers who will make an effort to drive to you

For a pig in a poke at 600 books from that era? I don't know any dealer who would make the drive without seeing pictures of the books on the off chance there is something worth going to.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, shadroch said:

For a pig in a poke at 600 books from that era? I don't know any dealer who would make the drive without seeing pictures of the books on the off chance there is something worth going to.

I do

On 12/7/2021 at 11:32 PM, William-James88 said:

Does it matter? Full runs seem almost like a novelty item these days. If you want to maximise your revenue, it's keys or bust.

If you want to sell them? Absolutely. How likely are you to buy a run vs single non-key issues?

On 12/7/2021 at 10:54 PM, Crakdkaine said:
On 12/7/2021 at 9:40 PM, littledoom said:

Northernish idaho

Location gonna be tough, too many books to ship economically if you're trying to sell as a lot.  And sounds like not too close to a major metro area (which would have more dealers and comic shops and more people generally interested).  

If you don't know a ton about comics and aren't interested in taking too much time to learn about it, I'd just take a representative sampling of pictures of books, and post on Craigslist or whatever local selling app, and just solicit offers for a month (you can let people come view if you want).  Then sell to the highest offer.  Of course you will be leaving money on the table, but how much is your time worth (and you can't know if its worth it to take the time until you take the time to learn all about your books, at which point the odds are high it will not have been worth your time)?