• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some grading advice

6 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of going through some Playboy and found a 1993 August playboy with conehead on the cover and was thinking about getting it graded. Should I and how much would it cost approx?16389245922792810512944247054791.thumb.jpg.b811c7466bb37bc7955135d17b9e5d28.jpg

Edited by Madlegg2000

The costs for CGC's services are posted here.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/?view=magazines

The cost to grade magazines post-1975 is $30, plus you'll need to pay for shipping to and from CGC in Sarasota, Florida.  I typically figure that a single small shipment will be $20-$25 each way, but you may want to do the math yourself based on your location to see how much shipping will actually cost. 

As for the "should I do it" question, it's a question that can't be answered without knowing why you'd be having it graded.  If you want to have it graded because it is of sentimental value to you and you want to display it in all its graded glory?  If so, and the grading is worth the price to you, then go for it.

Is this something you're looking to sell, and you want to know if having it graded will be more advantageous financially than selling it ungraded?  If so, then you'll need to do a little research.  1) What is the grade it's likely to get if graded?  2) How much do similar copies sell for when raw?  3)  How much would it sell for if graded?  

Looking at completed sales on eBay, it appears that similar copies sell for between $5.50 and $50 raw.  This is information that any willing buyer will have.  How much do graded copies sell for?  I don't know, because I see no completed sales of graded copies on eBay.  I'm familiar with the comic book market, but not the Playboy market.  I presume that since you are inquiring about this, you known how to find out how much similar graded copies of this magazine have sold for.

If all of the following are true:

1) You are hoping to sell this magazine, and you want to maximize your return by grading it.

2) You've evaluated the grade of the magazine, and are confident in the grade that it will receive from CGC. [Pay close attention to that large color breaking crease near Dan Aykroyd's head.  I'd be surprised if something with such significant damage received a grade higher than 6.0.]

3) The price the book will sell for at that grade is significantly more than the current market price of the raw magazine plus about $80 (or whatever your real expense will be with shipping).

4) You're comfortable waiting 210 business days (plus shipping time) to get your graded magazine.

then it seems like grading is the way to go.  

I hope this information helps.

Edited by SOTIcollector

On 12/7/2021 at 11:25 PM, thehumantorch said:

Unless the book has sentimental value I agree.  There's obvious wear on all 4 corners and elsewhere.  This is not a high grade copy.

I don't see how this being labelled as a midgrade magazine by CGC would make this mean anything more than the sentimental value it already has. It would just be a reminder of a dumb decision. If this magazine has sentimental value (which is does not based on the OP just having found out#remembered they had it), either frame it or put it in a nice display.