• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm thinking about selling my collection.

29 posts in this topic

Lock, stock and both smoking barrels. 

I compiled a list of 54 books I sold earlier this year for a total sales of $10,860, which resulted in me getting checks worth $10,047.

23 were CGC books, the rest were raw.  I sent the list to five advertisers in Overstreet, explaining I was a long- time collector who had grading down pretty well and this was a sample of about 2% of what I was selling. 

One got back to me, said he was excited to see my collection, and could I bring it in for him to examine, even though he was more than a thousand miles away. 

One explained that most of the books I offered were very common and if my grades were accurate, he might pay as much as $2500 for them. 

One called and said that while it wasn't worth it for him to travel down to me for a collection like this, he might be able to connect me to someone for a finders fee.

Another told me they would take them all on consignment if my grades were accurate.

The last told me they would buy the slabbed books, at about half of what I sold them for. 

End results- three of the five people, all who advertise they buy collections, didn't make me a cash offer, and the one  offered 25% for fifty plus books I'd already sold.

Edited by shadroch

On 12/8/2021 at 11:12 AM, shadroch said:

Lock, stock and both smoking barrels. 

I compiled a list of 54 books I sold earlier this year for a total sales of $10,860, which resulted in me getting checks worth $10,047.

23 were CGC books, the rest were raw.  I sent the list to five advertisers in Overstreet, explaining I was a long- time collector who had grading down pretty well and this was a sample of about 2% of what I was selling. 

One got back to me, said he was excited to see my collection, and could I bring it in for him to examine, even though he was more than a thousand miles away. 

One explained that most of the books I offered were very common and if my grades were accurate, he might pay as much as $2500 for them. 

One called and said that while it wasn't worth it for him to travel down to me for a collection like this, he might be able to connect me to someone for a finders fee.

Another told me they would take them all on consignment if my grades were accurate.

The last told me they would buy the slabbed books, at about half of what I sold them for. 

End results- three of the five people, all who advertise they buy collections, didn't make me a cash offer, and the one  offered 25% for fifty plus books I'd already sold.

Yeah, I'm not surprised.  A company I contacted (no names) in regards to all my slabs gave me something similar.  This was back in 2019, before all the shenanigans.  Based on GPA at the time, I estimated all my slabs to be around 10K in value.  I sent in my list (minus info they didn't need to know) and they came back with about a third of my estimate.  They told me their estimate was based on GPA averages.  I didn't tell them that I had used GPA as well.  It was more of a test than a chance to unload everything at once.  So I sell my slabs here, even though it is taking a lot longer.  lol

So, was this just an experiment to see what dealers would offer you vs. what you knew the books were actually worth (since you already sold them?) 

Or are you just reporting what you actually got for (some) of the books vs. what dealers previously had offered you.  To emphasize that dealers either (1) try to buy for as little as possible, or (2) don't know what they are talking about.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, Axelrod said:

So, was this just an experiment to see what dealers would offer you vs. what you knew the books were actually worth (since you already sold them?) 

Or are you just reporting what you actually got for (some) of the books vs. what dealers previously had offered you.  To emphasize that dealers either (1) try to buy for as little as possible, or (2) don't know what they are talking about.

I'm very interested in selling my entire hoard if I get the number I'm looking for.  Sending a list that I knew what they had already sold for was to establish a benchmark that the books were worth and compare it to their offers. I expected to get five concrete offers or at least the beginning of a dialog. 

It is somewhat surprising that, when you obviously had a lot of books with significant value, you couldn't even get even one serious bite.  Although, it is my understanding that a dealer will only offer you, maybe at best, 50% of what they think they themselves will be able to sell it for.  So, maybe the one guy who only wanted to buy the slabs and offered you 50% of what you sold them for was in the ballpark (*for a dealer).  

On 12/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, shadroch said:

this guy seems to offer close to what you actually did...did he say what his percentage would be? (I doubt that it is less than 8%)

On 12/8/2021 at 4:13 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'd certainly consider selling the collection here first. Lots of interested buyers and no middleman...  :whistle:

but he sold 54 books and made one shipment, among other advantages

are they $800 of advantages?

(shrug) 

(thumbsu

(shrug)

(thumbsu

(shrug)

:whistle:

On 12/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'd certainly consider selling the collection here first. Lots of interested buyers and no middleman...  :whistle:

Two people soured me on selling here, and too many others have ridiculous expectations.    I offer some things here occasionally, but honestly get better prices elsewhere. I recently offered three lots of Savage Swords that attracted flies here but sold for well over my asking price on MCS.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, Bird said:

this guy seems to offer close to what you actually did...did he say what his percentage would be? (I doubt that it is less than 8%)

I asked them to make a cash offer so I could compare it to what I might make on consignment but they ignored my request and just said they'd take it on consignment.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:28 PM, shadroch said:

Two people soured me on selling here, and too many others have ridiculous expectations.  

I've run into this a few times as well.  Particularly when selling modern books.  Seems to be a few that think they're buying an 8.5 and it should be pressable to a 9.6 or else I've overgraded it.  Even had a board member insist that I pay for shipping both ways.  Having said that, magazine collectors have been a joy to buy from and sell to.  YMMV.

FWIW, I really think the best option for most collectors is to sell at MCS.  Unfortunately, they won't take small dollar stuff (unless it's in a group lot and those never perform as well as they would individually).  Another option is to set up at a convention but that takes a bunch of prep work and is physically demanding humping a bunch of boxes around.  When I used to set up in the 90s, I generally went with the intention of not bringing anything back with me.  So, I'd approach a few dealers and see if they were interested in buying the rest of my books at the end for 50% off.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes I took a bunch of boxes home.  2c

On 12/8/2021 at 4:13 PM, The Lions Den said:

:takeit:

There have been some serious magazine sales lately. I pay collector prices for Adams stuff, not dealer prices.

What do people think a dealer should pay? It’s certainly less than what a collector will pay but it tends to be a lump sum transaction and usually quick. Pros and cons but when they are too low it feels like personal.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:40 PM, dover said:

What do people think a dealer should pay?

I have heard (maybe even on here) 30% for common but moveable books (not bulk drek) and up to 70% for keys. I would like the chance to try this out a few times myself to see if it holds. Of course, if paying 30% or 70% of x, then how you determine "x"  is the real issue. $10K of keys at 70% of 12 mth avg, 90 day avg, or 70% of last sale? I'll buy $10K of keys from someone at 70% if I get to determine what the number is that represents 100% and not them.

I think that determining whether or not a dealer's offer for a collection is good or not has a lot to do with how much your time is worth... and how much their time is worth.

If you have a regular job in a developed country then your time should be worth a lot to you... unless you enjoy selling comic books and don't mind spending hours and hours and hours doing it.

I think that an offer of 50% of value, like the dealer did for the slabbed books, is a good starting point.  That was for a few dozen books. When you show them 1,000 comics I bet they all offer way less than that.

Dealers have a lot on their minds other than buying one more collection, sadly. They have overheads & storage issues to consider and have to make hard headed decisions about which books will sell, which ones will hang about like a bad smell etc. So although your experience was somewhat of a disappointment, I'm not totally surprised. A collector will always be more willing and enthusiastic about putting their hand in their pocket since the whole "outlay vs profit" may not be under consideration. 

I once sold a collection to a very friendly local chap and have some good memories of the whole experience. I hope you find a way to sell your books that leads to a profit and a good experience. No one wants to sell and end up with a sour taste afterwards. :peace:

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Heard from another, who asked for front and back pictures of each book,and an alpha-numeric listing - not on pdf. When I explained it was thousands of books he said I could take my time putting it together. 

Instead, I sent another 87 pounds of books to MCS, and will prepare three more  boxes for next week. Between them, I'll clear at least $25,000

I have to wonder why these guy waste money on advertising when this is their reaction to being offered a collection that runs from GA Superman  to present, but with 98% being at least twenty years old.

I don't have any plans to sell my comics right now, but I have imagined creating a list and soliciting offers for them, just to see. 

Then I ask myself why I would want to depress myself like that?  Because I already know the kinds of offers I would get.  My stuff is all 35+ years old, but that's still not old enough to generate any excitement, and looks like MCS wouldn't even want around 90% of it per their "guidelines."

Edited by Axelrod