• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm thinking about selling my collection.

29 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2021 at 10:16 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Are you selling them all now or just portions of the collection? Curious to how you pick what to sell and what to keep to sell in the future. 

It looks like I'm moving in a few months and would like to sell them all before the move.  It's not the end of the world if I keep consigning them out a box or two at a time. 

My Son decided to sell his collection, 2000 books, most books are from the late 70's/80's/90's with over 100 hot/key books from the era, I contacted about 8 local dealers, only one was interested and came to the house to look at them, I made a list of all of the keys , we looked and discussed grade and value and when all was said and done he offered $800.00 for the entire collection, we declined, my Son wanted $2000.00 for the entire collection, MCS was not interested in the collection.

Since then I have sold over 100 of his books for $2200.00, these sales were all made on Facebook and I have had no issues with this, there are a lot of dealers/artists/writers that are members of Facebook Comic Book Groups, I am a member of 6 groups.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:28 AM, shadroch said:

Heard from another, who asked for front and back pictures of each book,and an alpha-numeric listing - not on pdf. When I explained it was thousands of books he said I could take my time putting it together. 

Instead, I sent another 87 pounds of books to MCS, and will prepare three more  boxes for next week. Between them, I'll clear at least $25,000

I have to wonder why these guy waste money on advertising when this is their reaction to being offered a collection that runs from GA Superman  to present, but with 98% being at least twenty years old.

Curious, are all these books keys or do you ever do 'lots' at MCS? and if so, what has been your experience?

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 12/9/2021 at 1:58 PM, Ed Hanes said:

Curious, are all these books keys or do you ever do 'lots' at MCS? and if so, what has been your experience?

I have not done any runs, but the latest shipment includes a number of Conan runs, as an experiment.  Not all the books were keys and some books didn't hit $50 so I paid $5 to sell them instead of 10%. 

I sold my collection of DC and Marvel keys in January. Was books like ASM 300,  xmen 94 , UF4, hulk 102, capt 100,  400 keys from 60's to now. Nothing high grade. I valued at 25k and took 12k offer. Got lucky, was first dealer i called. Came to my house. Could have got more selling on my own but had no time.  10 years ago i was seling a collection worth about 2k. All keys. Kept getting offers of $200 to 400. Final got a offer of 750 and took it.  Just got to find right buyer 

On 12/8/2021 at 6:28 PM, shadroch said:

Two people soured me on selling here, and too many others have ridiculous expectations.    I offer some things here occasionally, but honestly get better prices elsewhere. I recently offered three lots of Savage Swords that attracted flies here but sold for well over my asking price on MCS.

I think the best bet is just selling whatever MCS accepts on consignment through them. You reach a big audience with minimal work. The only hassle is shipping them the books, which isn't that bad.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, William-James88 said:

I think the best bet is just selling whatever MCS accepts on consignment through them. You reach a big audience with minimal work. The only hassle is shipping them the books, which isn't that bad.

I just started using mcs but only comics valued $50 and higher work for me. The multiple item auction lots are 25% fee so I cannot see sending them runs unless I really had no other option. But I just sold a book on mcs today, and should be pricing another 15 or so next week. They are a good consignment option, I agree.