• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. Joe #21 Cover Art Hitting Heritage in January
2 2

86 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2021 at 8:35 PM, Will_K said:

Not a GI Joe.  Not really an Ed Hannigan fan.  My only interest is that the book gets completed.  Good luck !!!

Thanks. There are a lot of interested parties like @Timely who have been shut out of owning any/all of the interiors (since I never plan to sell them), and this will be the next best thing for many. I am under no illusions that this is going to be anything other than a total goat rodeo now that it's hit the auction block:

royal rumble wrestling GIF by WWE

On 12/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, AnkurJ said:

Nice! Is this your grail??

Reuniting the cover with the complete story would be the icing on the cake. But at the end of the day, it's the cake that is the grail* for me, not the icing - the interiors have the iconic silent issue story with all of its memorable moments; all the 1st appearance of Storm Shadow pages; the 1st Cobra C.L.A.W., the 1st Silent Castle, the 1st Arashikage tattoo that is the first link in the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow origin, etc. (all drawn by Hama, to boot). :cloud9: 

Of course it would be awesome to add the cover, up to a point (candidly, I don't know what that point is yet).  But, one thing I will rule out immediately, though, which several people have asked me about since yesterday, is selling any of my big pieces (either the ones on my CAF or the ones that some know that I hold privately) to fund a run at the cover, so people can stop asking me about that.

* in the loose sense of the term, not as in the one and only

Edited by delekkerste

On 12/9/2021 at 6:46 AM, delekkerste said:

Thanks. There are a lot of interested parties like @Timely who have been shut out of owning any/all of the interiors (since I never plan to sell them), and this will be the next best thing for many. I am under no illusions that this is going to be anything other than a total goat rodeo now that it's hit the auction block:

royal rumble wrestling GIF by WWE

Reuniting the cover with the complete story would be the icing on the cake. But at the end of the day, it's the cake that is the grail* for me, not the icing - the interiors have the iconic silent issue story with all of its memorable moments; all the 1st appearance of Storm Shadow pages; the 1st Cobra C.L.A.W., the 1st Silent Castle, the 1st Arashikage tattoo that is the first link in the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow origin, etc. (all drawn by Hama, to boot). :cloud9: 

Of course it would be awesome to add the cover, up to a point (candidly, I don't know what that point is yet).  But, one thing I will rule out immediately, though, which several people have asked me about since yesterday, is selling any of my big pieces (either the ones on my CAF or the ones that some know that I hold privately) to fund a run at the cover, so people can stop asking me about that.

* in the loose sense of the term, not as in the one and only

I think GI Joe #21 is going to be a bit of a wild card, and for that reason it's going to be hard to asses value & decide if it's worth going for & if any comic collector even has a shot at it.  I paid about $30k for the cover to GI Joe #5.  I think it may be the most any Joe cover has gone for (aside from #1).  So how much more is the cover to #21?  I actually like the cover art of #5 better than #21, but if I want any part of the first comic I ever had, this is my only chance.  Odds are some investor company will outbid us all!  lol

PS. I find it interesting that Ed signed the cover in 1988.  I wonder if that's when he sold it?

Edited by Timely

On 12/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, Timely said:

I think GI Joe #21 is going to be a bit of a wild card, and for that reason it's going to be hard to asses value & decide if it's worth going for & if any comic collector even has a shot at it.  I paid about $30k for the cover to GI Joe #5.  I think it may be the most any Joe cover has gone for.  So how much more is the cover to #21?  I actually like the cover art of #5 better than #21, but if I want any part of the first comic I ever had, this is my only chance.  Odds are some investor company will outbid us all!  lol

PS. I find it interesting that Ed signed the cover in 1988.  I wonder if that's when he sold it?

Ed was at SDCC 1988 selling art outside the convention hall from what one person posted, and presumably he sold this one then. 

Having fielded numerous inquiries about the complete story over the years, I have a long list of just some of the potentially interested buyers of the cover.  And given what I've learned since yesterday, without putting any numbers to it so as not to influence the proceedings, all I'm going to say is that I'm confident that it's going to be a total bloodbath that's not going to be fun for anyone. 

On 12/9/2021 at 8:04 AM, delekkerste said:

Ed was at SDCC 1988 selling art outside the convention hall from what one person posted, and presumably he sold this one then. 

Having fielded numerous inquiries about the complete story over the years, I have a long list of just some of the potentially interested buyers of the cover.  And given what I've learned since yesterday, without putting any numbers to it so as not to influence the proceedings, all I'm going to say is that I'm confident that it's going to be a total bloodbath that's not going to be fun for anyone. 

I know what my limit is, guess we'll see! Good luck to all!

On 12/9/2021 at 6:20 AM, Timely said:

I think GI Joe #21 is going to be a bit of a wild card, and for that reason it's going to be hard to asses value & decide if it's worth going for & if any comic collector even has a shot at it.  I paid about $30k for the cover to GI Joe #5.  I think it may be the most any Joe cover has gone for (aside from #1).  So how much more is the cover to #21?  I actually like the cover art of #5 better than #21, but if I want any part of the first comic I ever had, this is my only chance.  Odds are some investor company will outbid us all!  lol

Yeah but then couldn’t you own a piece of the cover and thereby have full “bragging” rights of ownership?:baiting:

Edited by batman_fan

On 12/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, Timely said:

Odds are some investor company will outbid us all! 

Does anyone have an idea (even a vague idea) of how much these organization can afford ?  There's plenty of "red meat" in the January auction other than GIJoe 21.  Can these organizations outbid every individual collector on high-profile / valuable / desirable lots... let's say for the next 3 years ?

On 12/9/2021 at 11:11 AM, Will_K said:

Does anyone have an idea (even a vague idea) of how much these organization can afford ?  There's plenty of "red meat" in the January auction other than GIJoe 21.  Can these organizations outbid every individual collector on high-profile / valuable / desirable lots... let's say for the next 3 years ?

I'm not sure I'm convinced OA has fallen under the radar of investment companies. Have we seen a single piece end up on one of the partial ownership sites yet?

On 12/9/2021 at 6:04 AM, delekkerste said:

May be fun for the peanut gallery. :)

On 12/9/2021 at 8:18 AM, Varanis said:

I'm not sure I'm convinced OA has fallen under the radar of investment companies. Have we seen a single piece end up on one of the partial ownership sites yet?

No. I agree with you. Seems like an urban legend at this point, but I can see it happening as more people enter the hobby. 

On 12/9/2021 at 2:32 PM, Terry JSA said:

It’s cool to see the cover to G.I. JOE #21 is hitting auction. I predict it’ll go for $350k.

It’s the famous silent issue after all.

Woof!

If this cover goes for that much then I'm going to start selling myself on the street instead of letting go of a single piece from my (small) collection.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:32 PM, Terry JSA said:

It’s cool to see the cover to G.I. JOE #21 is hitting auction. I predict it’ll go for $350k.

It’s the famous silent issue after all.

Really? I'm taking the under if you are predicting $350K.  Mike Dringenberg Sandman House Ad selling for $96K threw me for a loop on the last auction. I thought it would go higher.  Yes, I know, it's apples and oranges, but somehow I have the same feeling about this one. So I'm going to say $99K.