• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. Joe #21 Cover Art Hitting Heritage in January
2 2

86 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, Terry JSA said:

It ended up selling for $312k. B|

Couldn’t care less honestly , but happy for the winner 

Edited by G.A.tor

On 1/13/2022 at 1:52 PM, G.A.tor said:

Couldn’t care less honestly , but happy for the winner 

Rick remember most kids from my generation really are all about GI Joe and Transformers.

Money aside I would rather own that cover than an Action Comics #1. 

Just like the kids after me want to own Pokemon and Magic cards over GI Joe/Transformers, and so the cycle of pop culture goes on and on. 

On 1/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Rick remember most kids from my generation really are all about GI Joe and Transformers.

Just like the kids after me want to own Pokemon and Magic cards over GI Joe/Transformers, and so the cycle of pop culture goes on and on. 

I understand. Just doesn’t appeal to me but happy it does to many!

On 1/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I'm an 80s kid and I'd rather have an AC 1. I don't care about nostalgia. I spent 90% of my time outside with my friends than inside playing with my action figures 

Jennifer Lawrence... massive Ed Hannigan fan... Natalie Portman... kind of a GI Joe fan...

I wonder... for something like this... does someone fly to Dallas to pick it up or leave it in the hands of USPS, FedEx or whoever ....

Edited by Will_K

I think calling it an Ed Hannigan cover in an attempt to what, belittle it, is a bit disingenuous tbh.    It doesn’t even matter who the artist is half the time .    For example if secret wars 8 was drawn or inked by somebody else it really wouldn’t change the price that page sold for.    

The Joe 21 cover is a cover for a reasonably well known book and it just doesn’t take nearly as much as it once did to get to the 300k mark.    

Edited by Bronty

On 1/14/2022 at 8:37 AM, Will_K said:

Jennifer Lawrence... massive Ed Hannigan fan... Natalie Portman... kind of a GI Joe fan...

I wonder... for something like this... does someone fly to Dallas to pick it up or leave it in the hands of USPS, FedEx or whoever ....

For that price, Heritage better get on a plane and hand it to me at my front door.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:54 AM, Bronty said:

I think calling it an Ed Hannigan cover in an attempt to what, belittle it, is a bit disingenuous.    It doesn’t even matter who the artist is half the time .    If secret wars 8 was drawn or inked by somebody else it really wouldn’t change the price that page sold for.    

Heck, nobody even knows who the inker on that page is :roflmao:

On 1/14/2022 at 9:54 AM, Bronty said:

I think calling it an Ed Hannigan cover in an attempt to what, belittle it, is a bit disingenuous tbh.  

Um, :jokealert: 

Lighten up, Francis. Nobody is belittling anything. I could have just as easily called it a G.I. Joe cover, because neither G.I. Joe covers nor Ed Hannigan covers typically sell for $312K. Everybody else saw it as the good-natured humor it was meant to be.

Edited by delekkerste

It is the cover to GI Joe, how can you belittle it? It knows what it is and revels in it. It is a truly iconic cover of a comic for a toy. It's killing it within its' genre, not trying to uplift the medium or anything.

I'm a 70s kid mostly, but I get it. Never saw the show, never not once. Never collected the comic. But I have read this issue, maybe a decade ago when I got one in a collection.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, delekkerste said:

Um, :jokealert: 

Lighten up, Francis. Nobody is belittling anything. :eyeroll: 

I’m not mad bro ;) But I’ve never heard you reduce the interior pages to just the artist’s name… just sayin’! 

The cover is nice and the pages are nice regardless of who did what.

the auction was kind of a win win for you.    If it went cheap you could buy it and if it went for a lot, it helps your pages.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/14/2022 at 10:06 AM, Will_K said:

"Stripes" reference ?  In sticking with the Army theme ?

Any of you guys call it a Hannigan cover...I'll kill you. And any of you inker types come at me with your fancy brushes...I'll kill you.

stripes! stripes! not threats! NO, NOT threats!

Edited by Bird

On 1/14/2022 at 10:07 AM, Bronty said:

I’m not mad bro ;) But I’ve never heard you reduce the interior pages to just the artist’s name… just sayin’! 

Not that I'm ever selling the interiors (I literally updated my will on Monday and they're among the small handful of items I own that are being specifically separated out and handed down to my kids), but, if they ever sold at auction and fetched a huge price, I'd make the same joke. But, in the absence of such an occurrence, there wouldn't be any sayin' at all, because there wouldn't be a point to be sayin' anything, Holmes! :makepoint: 

619g39.jpg.43708a9f00afb1c3f1c42feed6e3414f.jpg

Edited by delekkerste