• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. Joe #21 Cover Art Hitting Heritage in January
2 2

86 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 10:17 AM, delekkerste said:

Not that I'm ever selling the interiors (I literally updated my will on Monday and they're among the small handful of items I own that are being specifically separated out and handed down to my kids), but, if they ever sold at auction and fetched a huge price, I'd make the same joke. But, in the absence of such an occurrence, there wouldn't be any sayin' at all, because there wouldn't be a point to be sayin' anything, Holmes! :makepoint: 

619g39.jpg.43708a9f00afb1c3f1c42feed6e3414f.jpg

I guess that’s only a couple of secret wars pages!

There was chatter in some of the GI Joe and other toy groups of those that were going to make a run at this.  Sometimes we have to look at things from a different perspective.  This cover could have been drawn by ANY artist out there and it would have fetched the same amount. The artist is irrelevant.  GI Joe for many collectors is all about the characters.  

With this cover you were looking at the cover to arguably one of the most important issues of the original Marvel run.  When I go to cons and people request sketches from Larry Hama, if you look down the list, this is one of the more popular requests.  Aside from that it is one of the cover to one of the more iconic comics of the 80's. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:04 AM, Kevin76 said:

I'm an 80s kid and I'd rather have an AC 1. I don't care about nostalgia. I spent 90% of my time outside with my friends than inside playing with my action figures 

Not understanding your point here.

Your post suggests then you dont like comic books while posting on a CGC comic book website dedicated to nostalgia.  

Am I missing some thing here?

As a 90's kid I would play High School sports, work at a comic book store, play outside all the time, play video games at night, so not sure what enjoying a cartoon as a child has anything to do with what you said. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:19 PM, Mephisto said:

This was a real nice surprise that Gene did. Many of you don’t know but I am Gene’s adopted son. My father passed away back in 2005. Gene didn’t want to have to split the Joe 21 interiors amongst his biological children so he left that one to me in the will. A beautiful gesture.

Gene was on hand at my wedding this past summer to give me away.

I particularly adore that your avatar is Gordon Gekko's adopted son Bud. It's just too perfect. Blue Horseshoe might love Anacott Steel, but not as much as you clearly love your adopted dad Gene. All warm and fuzzy inside after seeing this amazing story of OA friendship.

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 1/15/2022 at 7:44 AM, Sideshow Bob said:
On 1/15/2022 at 3:19 AM, Mephisto said:

This was a real nice surprise that Gene did. Many of you don’t know but I am Gene’s adopted son. My father passed away back in 2005. Gene didn’t want to have to split the Joe 21 interiors amongst his biological children so he left that one to me in the will. A beautiful gesture.

Gene was on hand at my wedding this past summer to give me away.

I particularly adore that your avatar is Gordon Gekko's adopted son Bud. It's just too perfect. Blue Horseshoe might love Anacott Steel, but not as much as you clearly love your adopted dad Gene. All warm and fuzzy inside after seeing this amazing story of OA friendship.

Gene's kids just read these posts and are like "Dad, WTF?!"

On 1/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Tim, you and I can represent the kids in challenging the will. That way no one wins but us. 😈 

I can make copies for a page. 

Besides I will hold your stuff again next year when you get more things signed. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, Kevin76 said:

I'm an 80s kid and I'd rather have an AC 1. I don't care about nostalgia. I spent 90% of my time outside with my friends than inside playing with my action figures 

Cool story, bro. what's the point of this?

On 1/16/2022 at 2:05 AM, jaybuck43 said:
On 1/15/2022 at 4:39 PM, tth2 said:

Gene's kids just read these posts and are like "Dad, WTF?!"

Tim, you and I can represent the kids in challenging the will. That way no one wins but us. 😈 

First we get Gene declared incompetent (we can use the Old Gene/New Gene posts on these boards as evidence of extreme schizophrenia). 

Then, since his kids are still minors, we get ourselves appointed as their trustees. 

Sounds like a plan, counselor! :cheers:

Edited by tth2

On 1/15/2022 at 11:14 PM, tth2 said:

First we get Gene declared incompetent (we can use the Old Gene/New Gene posts on these boards as evidence of extreme schizophrenia). 

Then, since his kids are still minors, we get ourselves appointed as their trustees. 

Oh damn I’m going to be in a lot of trouble this is the legal route taken. Especially when old Gene told me last year “Any IBM is too much IBM.” To this year “I bought some IBM.”

On 1/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, Mephisto said:
On 1/16/2022 at 12:14 PM, tth2 said:

Oh damn I’m going to be in a lot of trouble this is the legal route taken. Especially when old Gene told me last year “Any IBM is too much IBM.” To this year “I bought some IBM.”

The deed of release in which you relinquish all rights to the art is being couriered to you as we speak.

On 1/16/2022 at 3:24 AM, tth2 said:

The deed of release in which you relinquish all rights to the art is being couriered to you as we speak.

“deed of release” huh?   Who’s the pervy lawyer that came up with that name for the document?    Sounds like something else altogether  :insane: 

Edited by Bronty

Perhaps the time and mood has already passed here. 

My older brother bought GI Joe #21 off the rack and that copy is in my possession. Like so many, I have a lot of nostalgia attached to it. You can count me among the legion of fans. 

But how dumb did I feel when this popped up Heritage with Ed Hannigan credited as the penciler? I had no idea and I felt less of a fan. For some reason I thought this was a Janson cover or a Leialoha/Janson cover. Perhaps even laid out by Larry Hama. So thank you, Gene, for stating on the podcast that it wasn’t even known that Hannigan is penciler until a year ago. I don’t feel as dumb. And I’m sure I looked it up on comicbookdb at one point and it probably had the credits wrong. 

This cover is a classic, period. Whether it was all Janson or Leialoha/Janson, it’s still a $350k to me. 

Well, let’s face it, millions of children grew up on GI Joe. It’s no surprise one of the top key issues would sell at a price higher than most would expect. GI Joe is still relevant, with toys still being made and comics being produced. Transformers is another 80’s phenomenon that is even more successful! 

I think we can all agree the buy was a nostalgic purchase, not a buy based on it being one of the best covers artistically rendered in the 80’s. It’s an average cover. There are at least 15 other GI Joe covers I personally feel are better than #21, objectively putting nostalgia aside. 

Some collectors could care less about GI Joe #21 (as already stated) and others place it above all else! That’s what makes art and this hobby great! What mystifies one collector is a no-brainer to another.

Edited by Timely