• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Britain's Mask & Other 'Free Gifts' Sold With Comics

16 posts in this topic

When submitting a comic for grading, should free gifts sold with some issues of various books be included in the shippment to CGC in order to obtain highest grade? I have a Capt. Britain #1 with the original cardboard face mask that was sold with the book - should that be included with my submission?

Capt Britain with Mask.jpg

On 12/9/2021 at 7:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Aren't loose items considered "missing" anyways?

My understanding on this particular book was that the mask wasn't attached inside the book.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the mask wasn't stitched in.  Much like ASM 238 with the "tattooz", if they are missing, the value is less.  Certainly, collectors are looking for copies with the mask.

2106243983_ScreenShot2021-12-09at10_31_10AM.thumb.png.d7073c079d6d925c4f2cad68b6480b5a.png

However, when you look at Amazing Spider-man 238, slabbed copies say "Tatooz inside".  

1152240343_ScreenShot2021-12-09at10_37_41AM.thumb.png.5e224de166a4495193b1663abbd9c25d.png

I've always assumed that the note on CB 1 slabs meant the mask was in there.  It's a good question for CGC.  Perhaps @The Lions Den can shed light on this.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, Randall Dowling said:

My understanding on this particular book was that the mask wasn't attached inside the book.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the mask wasn't stitched in.  Much like ASM 238 with the "tattooz", if they are missing, the value is less.  Certainly, collectors are looking for copies with the mask.

2106243983_ScreenShot2021-12-09at10_31_10AM.thumb.png.d7073c079d6d925c4f2cad68b6480b5a.png

Perhaps @The Lions Den can shed light on this.

That is also my understanding, and I thought that CGC ignores loosely-distributed items. :pullhair:

On 12/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, Randall Dowling said:

However, when you look at Amazing Spider-man 238, slabbed copies say "Tatooz inside".  

1152240343_ScreenShot2021-12-09at10_37_41AM.thumb.png.5e224de166a4495193b1663abbd9c25d.png

I've always assumed that the note on CB 1 slabs meant the mask was in there.  It's a good question for CGC.  Perhaps @The Lions Den can shed light on this.

Of the CB 1 copies I've seen, the mask wasn't attached to the book. However, it's true that CGC usually doesn't encapsulate loose items with the book; they're usually placed in a separate bag and returned to the submitter...  

For some reason, CGC seems to treat the stuff that comes with these mags as incomplete even though they are loose.

I have submitted Captain Britain 1s and included the mask loose and they were not returned to me.

I know this is a number 2 but as the boomerang is missing, CGC gave this a qualified grade

image.thumb.png.e9ff812ab3bdef4e6d57598bd715ee69.png

On 12/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, greggy said:

I think the inconsistency with respect to magazines is that I believe the mag finalizer has been there for ages and he's the one deciding to treat it this way. 

Well, you're right on both counts, but there is more than one magazine finalizer at CGC these days. But to be honest, this is what I'd expect to see even if a boomerang was inside but wasn't attached to the book. The idea being that if it's not attached, anyone could just throw in any ol' boomerang and try to pass it off as the real one...  :bigsmile:  

On 12/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, The Lions Den said:

Well, you're right on both counts, but there is more than one magazine finalizer at CGC these days. But to be honest, this is what I'd expect to see even if a boomerang was inside but wasn't attached to the book. The idea being that if it's not attached, anyone could just throw in any ol' boomerang and try to pass it off as the real one...  :bigsmile:  

I assume the guy who's been there the longest is Dave.  I don't know him personally but since he's been there so long, I see more consistency in the magazine grading over the years.

Yes, you can probably put in a new boomerang or whatever from another book but I guess it's not that material to the graders, as you can't really tell.  

On 12/9/2021 at 5:53 PM, greggy said:

I assume the guy who's been there the longest is Dave.  I don't know him personally but since he's been there so long, I see more consistency in the magazine grading over the years.

Yes, you can probably put in a new boomerang or whatever from another book but I guess it's not that material to the graders, as you can't really tell.  

You are correct sir, Dave has attained a level few graders ever reach..."Grader Emeritus!"  (worship)

And when you're a grader at CGC, it's kind of like the guy on Pawn Stars says: "It's not that I don't trust you, I just don't trust anybody"...  

Thanks for responses - the CB # 2 that received a green top notes "Captain Britain boomerang Included" which I assume means it  was included when sold new but was missing when that specific book was submitted. The CB#1 mask was loose (I bought this comic when new), but it did include two amber rubber bands to hook the mask onto the ears - these were made of natural rubber and are always either missing or completely degraded - I 'spose if a mag grader wanted to be a stickler, they could argue that a mask missing the rubber bands is incomplete. I'll likely send mine in with the mask, and hope it stays with the book.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:59 PM, S. CREAM said:

Thanks for responses - the CB # 2 that received a green top notes "Captain Britain boomerang Included" which I assume means it  was included when sold new but was missing when that specific book was submitted. 

I think this is correct.  If you look at the middle of the label, under the title, it says "Boomerang Missing, Incomplete", hence the green label.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:59 PM, S. CREAM said:

I'll likely send mine in with the mask, and hope it stays with the book.

This is the smartest thing to do.  If they decide to include it, that's their call.  But they can't say it was missing.  (thumbsu

hey,

the mask is essential for issue #1 or the book will not get a blue universal label - they will assign a green, qualified one.  Don't worry about the rubber on the mask - I have submitted many masks without and not been penalised.

good luck with the submission your copy of no.1 looks great.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:14 PM, S. CREAM said:

When submitting a comic for grading, should free gifts sold with some issues of various books be included in the shippment to CGC in order to obtain highest grade? I have a Capt. Britain #1 with the original cardboard face mask that was sold with the book - should that be included with my submission?

Capt Britain with Mask.jpg

Would having the "eyes" punched out and the "tag" on the side of it removed make it incomplete? This is how I received mine, I originally thought the black gunk on the left side was adhesive used to attach it to the comic. After hearing of the rubber bands, it now looks like that is the rubber bands that have degraded town to a sticky gunk that was holding it on to the comic. They have also left a tacky dark residue on the interior page they were attached to. Now I'm wondering if it would it be better off just removing the "tab" and hoping that doesn't make it incomplete?

.IMG_20211229_141512930.thumb.jpg.4bee5a3ec81ac33e5cd40716117ed398.jpg