• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Giant’s “Old School Comic Show” Concord, NH April 23, 2022
1 1

94 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 3:28 PM, Ryan. said:
On 4/25/2022 at 11:19 AM, manetteska said:

Here is my very specific attendee report,

Thanks for saying hi. :cry:

Yeah, I know, I suck. I usually have a list of things I should do at a show: take pictures, say hi to people, wear deodorant (j/k), etc.

And I just end up laser-focused on flipping through comics and seeing as much as possible.

Toward the end of the show (about 2?) I read your post saying what you were wearing, but probably too late as I didn't spot you.

I also didn't stop at Amazing's booth or say anything to Jason. (: I did eat the pizza though.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, manetteska said:

What did you end up with?

I bought one single sketch and nothing else. I just could not find any books I felt I needed. I'm sure there were deals to be had but I was pretty specifically focused on GA and prices for those were...healthy.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, Ryan. said:
On 4/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, manetteska said:

What did you end up with?

I bought one single sketch and nothing else. I just could not find any books I felt I needed. I'm sure there were deals to be had but I was pretty specifically focused on GA and prices for those were...healthy.

At shows, GA is my main target as well. I can find stuff on ebay, but usually when it arrives it's not as nice as I thought it would be. Buying at a show, I immediately know what I'm getting.

I didn't see much Cole or Baker (my favorites) apart from the same ones I had seen with Terry, Ted, and Harley before.

Were you able to look at Payette's books? I'm not local and I've heard he has good stuff but didn't know to ask to see them.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:20 PM, manetteska said:

Were you able to look at Payette's books? I'm not local and I've heard he has good stuff but didn't know to ask to see them.

I wasn't. I had no idea there were other books.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:20 PM, manetteska said:

At shows, GA is my main target as well. I can find stuff on ebay, but usually when it arrives it's not as nice as I thought it would be. Buying at a show, I immediately know what I'm getting.

I didn't see much Cole or Baker (my favorites) apart from the same ones I had seen with Terry, Ted, and Harley before.

Dealers and buyers with deep pockets show up Thursday/Friday and buy up all the good golden age in the room. 

On 4/25/2022 at 9:19 PM, Kevin76 said:
On 4/25/2022 at 4:20 PM, manetteska said:

Dealers and buyers with deep pockets show up Thursday/Friday and buy up all the good golden age in the room. 

That's how it goes.

That's why I have to come in like the rest of the medium-sized-pocket public and scavenge for books others overlook.

I went through Payettes back Boxes, And with respect to the Man, you did not miss anything   It was mostly the Books from last year which were largely mid grade fiction house. I bought a couple, But it was Nothing to scream about

As far as dealers "snatching all the good stuff on friday" In my Opinion Terry's comics had the best (affordable) gold in the room , and he did not open till Saturday, so there was PLENTLY there for anyone who wanted to look. 

See everybody at the next show 

On 4/26/2022 at 6:03 PM, AmazingComics413 said:

Setup day is a busy day: vendors and artists are setting up while invited buyers+sellers haggle & make deals long before doors open. Load-in is fairly easy at this venue, and I have expedited our setup over the past few years. We were setup within an hour and left for the hotel.

A boy can dream…. :cloud9:

On 4/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, AmazingComics413 said:

Old School Comic Book Show Report 2022! 
(Note: some pictures are mine and some pictures I found on social media)

I packed up on Friday morning....during previous Little Giant shows we could have used more books so I crammed as many short&longboxes into our vehicle as possible.

Setup day is a busy day: vendors and artists are setting up while invited buyers+sellers haggle & make deals long before doors open. Load-in is fairly easy at this venue, and I have expedited our setup over the past few years. We were setup within an hour and left for the hotel.

693C16CE-7FDD-4575-A75A-FA35DFD8F1E3.thumb.jpeg.521839c4e890ba511afe1657225250d8.jpeg
Annual “we’re ready!” photo.

Cocktail party and appetizers followed at the nearby hotel. Comic talk amongst dealers and artists who made it to the party. Got to catch up with @bentbryanfor a bit (:cheers:good to see you!). 3 Men in a Basement (YouTube show) hosted a live show in the lobby interviewing vendors. Several other YouTube+Instagram personalities including Nerdy Girl Comics and Skeleton Key were also in attendance. I’m hoping that the extra social media presence this year boosts next years attendance numbers - people who didn’t know about the show will hear about it through YouTube or Instagram this year.

The show opened to VIP ticket holders at 9AM. Slowly the aisles filled up with comic fans young and old. Not much cosplay this time but there was an excellent Carnage.
C38FDB45-2232-4B00-B668-837CB693E5E0.jpeg.06458a048d683e8b691fadccd0fdfc65.jpeg
Shortly after opening I got a message from @Ryan.:hi: and met him outside with his free ticket to the show. @comicartfanmade sure to stop by our table to chat for a bit :headbang:
504A023F-5883-4772-BD40-580AED347DAB.thumb.jpeg.721f602519b392987e9c9b479d7ee8df.jpeg28521CF2-C4F0-41E6-8034-A7F95549EF3A.thumb.jpeg.47f68681569c040daa56a18d1aec7f1d.jpeg394B59B0-20F8-4194-8B4F-017257E53F6A.thumb.jpeg.1e3cbd0c377d7b82174ba77ac08ea941.jpeg
Some of our wall books.

Keys and 1st appearance priced within or below FMV are strong sellers at this show, people are on the hunt for wall books. Within the first hour we had several sales and started to get pretty busy by 10AM when doors opened to the general public. Books priced from $1-20 also continue to sell strong at this show. Our regular show stock boxes were depleted by the end of the day with big gaps in them. The dollar books we brought sold well, the boxes were crowded with people waiting. We were across from Payette and his dollar bins were also busy most of the day. Yes, Payette had boxes of goodies behind the counter that he was using to restock his wall, no I did not see them. At one point there were a group of Wolverine 1s on his wall but I was not fast enough to grab a copy. Comics featuring pop culture favorites from movies, tv shows and video games also sold well. We have a short box filled with these types of books to put on display and it was nearly empty by the show’s end. There were a wide array of fans and collectors stopping by, some specifically asked for: Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Groo, Obnoxio the Clown, Moon Knight, precode horror, Sailor Moon, and Miles Morales just to name a few examples. Steranko books sold well due to his headlining the event. Notable sales include: WWBN32, Raphael 1, Transformers 1, Captain America 113, UXM 266, ASM 121 amongst others like Batman Adventures 28, Infinity Gauntlet 1, UXM 142, and UXM 282. Many of our repeat customers stopped by to chat and it was great catching up with them.
C0CB9A36-F386-43DC-B687-4EB9D049CD6A.thumb.jpeg.eb8a04fb5008fac48393959307e7bbbd.jpeg

I made sure to check out the show during a few busy periods to enjoy it. You could almost feel the excitement in the room as hoards of people dug through longboxes. The .5 Detective 27 Bob Kane File Copy is Carbo’s and that was his booth. I love shopping at his table annually because it is so random but many books weren’t priced and the helper he brought along had no clue what to do :facepalm:. He had an ASM194 on the wall and when I asked Carbo about it he said it’s not for sale and took it off the wall hm 
J&S Comics have huge wall of CGC keys and great raw books too. I was searching the show for a copy of Hulk Annual 1 throughout the day, and when I went back for the copy I saw there it was gone. This was the case at another booth as well, I assume popular Steranko books sold great because next I went to buy Little Giant’s UXM49 I saw during setup and that too was gone! Jason/Little Giant always has a gigantic wall that makes me want to pull out my wallet. Nerdy Girl and Skeleton Key had ice sculptures with their logos and an assortment of cool books. :cool: Superworld was busy the times I passed by, their display is always impressive. Terry’s Comics were just as impressive and busy. I made sure to stop by their booth (found a Hulk Annual 1 there and scooped it up). Also met @Comicshowshere, they gave me a fair discount on the Hulk Annual 1. Most of the wall books I checked out were at or above FMV, but most dealers were willing to haggle. Zapp out of NJ was across from us and busy almost all day. Metropolis brought some incredible slabbed grails.

6D063248-86B9-4825-9759-FAF0D3C47D7F.thumb.jpeg.9d3dfcd9c6b6f12ae40537365f221209.jpeg6CA6AD1A-C9A8-41AB-BC26-F15C890B9435.thumb.jpeg.44256f3ae939c2593c53d3140694e45c.jpegF1A180DF-3BD0-433C-A266-756B08F3C3F8.thumb.jpeg.7befaf4f0199578dbf9a0de1c9fbc0c3.jpeg

Many of the regional dealers/shops were at the show: Buzz Comics, Oignucs Comics, Finar Comics, Enterprize Comics Etc, Nicks Comic Strip, me + my wife and a few others. All the locals I spoke to reported excellent sales. Artist alley seemed to be buzzing all day, Steranko had a line every time I went by.
0E9498E6-9D37-4F57-8428-C15E6CCD553A.thumb.jpeg.a49b0d5dd37bae9544b48ecb772f37fd.jpeg
Buzz Comics

At one point I was up near the concession stand and in walks a few people with loads of pizzas. Jason got on the microphone and announced that Jim Halperin of Heritage just bought the entire show pizza, anyone was welcome to come up and grab a couple slices. The end of the show crept up on us quickly, all of the sudden it was after 4PM and almost time to pack up but there were still people shopping (ASM 121 sold within the last half hour).

Load out was just as easy as load in. The Little Giant had the whole place packed up by 7:30 and were able to join a select group for a dinner party with Steranko.
5A5051BA-258F-41B8-8420-0D024AFF8EB1.thumb.jpeg.d285321778d79e96ec26987ea80ddb34.jpeg
Cap frozen in an ice sculpture

The dinner party was a lot of fun. Ate a pretty good prime rib dinner. Got to hangout with Buzz Comics and@comicartfan after our meal. Steranko went table to table and chatted with everyone before a private signing and photo with the group.
5872132B-DB73-46C6-AF46-1A0622BE445F.thumb.jpeg.8bd6e21ef8673fde4c9d4d12fe1da175.jpeg

It was a great show, the Little Giant team really puts a lot of work into the event and I’m glad to be a part of it.
DE02D13F-24CA-430E-A99F-A281DBB54F7E.thumb.jpeg.79f8c3fae50bfc91a77a3fc841ed526d.jpeg

See you all next year(thumbsu

878D40C9-2CC0-4103-8C06-9C8620356314.jpeg

Great report. Thanks for posting it!

On 4/28/2022 at 7:01 AM, TerrysComics said:

Best show so far, A perfect balance of set-up, meet and greet, Show and Steranko dinner.

Worth every mile of the drive from the west coast to New Hampshire.

The Golden age collectors really showed up for this one and were making piles.

Now if the Tornadoes don't get me on the way back it will be excellent!

LGOSCS2022.thumb.jpg.f757a64a5020ba7d5e548dbd52eca507.jpg

Sounds like a great show and hopefully your truck is a lot lighter. Drive safe Terry. 

:whatthe: this looks like a great show. Couldn't make it this year as I was in sunny Florida for the week but definitely on my list for next year.