• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Giant’s “Old School Comic Show” Concord, NH April 23, 2022
1 1

94 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ryan. said:

Wait, that booth was Carbo's?

No, I believe his was the next one over. Carbo was either admiring the mystery dealer's taste or seeing dollar signs flashing before his eyes as he encountered a seemingly noob seller with one of the most desirable books in the hobby.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:03 PM, Robot Man said:

Carbo has been bringing it out for a couple of years. I believe from the Bob Kane bound volume. It does not belong to him. A “consignment” book. Why they would allow him to do that (shrug)

It certainly looked like a bound volume. 

I've seen pictures of it posted on the boards from previous shows, so I wasn't totally shocked to see it. 

I believe that's the first AC1 I've seen in person, though it had extensive resto. I sent the picture to my brother who asked if it was real. I replied "at least some of it is." 

The superman 1 and Bat 1s were very cool to see. Especially given recent sales. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 4/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, KCOComics said:

It certainly looked like a bound volume. 

I've seen pictures of it posted on the boards from previous shows, so I wasn't totally shocked to see it. 

I believe that's the first AC1 I've seen in person, though it had extensive resto. I sent the picture to my brother who asked if it was real. I replied "at least some of it is." 

The superman 1 and Bat 1s were very cool to see. Especially given recent sales. 

E2C4CEF8-066D-425C-B965-17D74FEE8BAB.jpeg

On 4/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, Pontoon said:

No, I believe his was the next one over. Carbo was either admiring the mystery dealer's taste or seeing dollar signs flashing before his eyes as he encountered a seemingly noob seller with one of the most desirable books in the hobby.

Ok that makes sense.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:34 PM, Ryan. said:
On 4/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, Pontoon said:

Ok that makes sense.

My assessment could be wrong, you can't always judge a book by the cover. That fellow behind the table did not look like a Carbonaro operative, but then most people would never guess that I work for the C.I.A. - I meant State Department.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 4/24/2022 at 6:08 PM, Larryw7 said:

Was Payette there? I'm always curious to see what he has on his wall.

He was there, it's the only show he sets up at. He only has a small wall rack or two for a sample, but has several boxes of high grade and/or rare goodies behind the table.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 4/24/2022 at 3:08 PM, Pontoon said:

My assessment could be wrong, you can't always judge a book by the cover. That fellow behind the table did not look like a Carbonaro operative, but then most people would never guess that I work for the C.I.A. - I meant State Departement.

Carbo can’t sit still and is rarely in his booth. He had someone manning his WonderCon booth. The guy had to call Mike back every time someone had a question. He must pay for a table just to get in early. 

On 4/24/2022 at 5:21 PM, Pontoon said:

Right. That one. :eyeroll:

It wasn't a #46 was it? You were at the show? I saw your brother there.

Not "that one"  but rather "all those"  if it's a WW2 cover, you're good,  If it's an early issue, you're good. If it has Hilter on the cover, you're good.  

Yes I was at the show, I'm an assistant to J&S at the booth, (A3) so I get into shows early, stay at a hotel and eat for free and not do any driving.    

On 4/24/2022 at 6:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Carbo can’t sit still and is rarely in his booth. He had someone manning his WonderCon booth. The guy had to call Mike back every time someone had a question. He must pay for a table just to get in early. 

Yeah same with Little Giant, he did have a really nice ASM 13 I picked up off of him, it hurt handing him money, felt like I was handing cash to Satan himself  

On 4/24/2022 at 5:10 PM, Pontoon said:

He was there, it's the only show he sets up at. He only has a small wall rack or two for a sample, but has several boxes of high grade and/or rare goodies behind the table.

Doh; I wish I would have known about the extra boxes. I mostly saw the $1 boxes on the table and a bunch of Archie-related titles. 

Did anyone here buy anything from those boxes?

On 4/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, manetteska said:

Doh; I wish I would have known about the extra boxes. I mostly saw the $1 boxes on the table and a bunch of Archie-related titles. 

Did anyone here buy anything from those boxes?

Big Boy Books were not in my budget this weekend, so I did not even look. I did make purchases from his table inventory though. The X-Men, Thor, Strange Tales, Iron Man, FF #32 and Cap #162 I posted were part of what I bought there. Besides the Archies and $1 bins he had tables of Marvel A-Z and DC A-Z.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 4/24/2022 at 4:04 PM, AndyFish said:

STERANKO-05.thumb.jpg.2d3bae1914714b5333a8d2c5a8d6cbc8.jpg

STERANKO-03.thumb.jpg.29af70aa53d4cb155fcda69feb34773d.jpg

Made the 90 minute trip up solely to say hello to son's #2 and #2 who were manning the SUPERWORLD Booth and to get my STERANKO Hardcover signed.  There's a story here, so please excuse me; I've always been a big Steranko fan but none of his reprinted works fit on a shelf in my art studio where I keep "inspirational" work-i.e. some Kirby collections, some Eisner, etc.   So I made a hardcover of all of Jim's original Marvel work, complete with a slipcover and as an edition of 1/1.   I not only love the work of Steranko, I love the guy-- he and I have a bond in that we both learned to box to get ourselves out of bad neighborhoods where bullying was the norm.   We both knew Mickey Spillane and we've got other connections as well, so it was great to spend so much time with him.  For anyone who came up behind me to his line, I happily stepped aside so he could interact with other fans but it was late enough in the day that things had slowed down.   We talked old movies, serials, pulps, art supplies, painting techniques, gallery shows and made plans to get together later in the summer.  He's the best.  Highlight for me was when he made me an official Steranko Henchmen, complete with the secret password and a T-Shirt you cannot buy.

STERANKO-06.thumb.jpg.d429d080c0ba7d463df6bc05c1ecce1d.jpg

The irony there is that I don't wear T-Shirts, never have.   I'm a collared shirt guy and always have been, and I don't like printed T-Shirts but if I'm going to be someone's henchman it would be Steranko.

I made a lightning fast pass through the show, said hello to Mike Royer and checked in on my boys who had already gathered a box of books from the show which they kindly give me dibs on should there be something that catches my eye.

On the way back my wife and I stopped at a good deli that was at the plaza with the New Hampshire State Liquor store and I picked up a few bargains there too.

Life is good.  Little Giant is an impressive little show that seems to bring in the good stuff.

STERANKO-02.jpg

STERANKO-04.jpg

Steranko is a living legend. And a heck of a nice guy as well. Always has time to talk to his fans, sign and autograph or take a picture. Not to mention, his autograph is always a “statement” and a work of art in it’s self. 

On 4/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Are the rising stars worth money? I have a ton of those including the variants 

Don't think so; I just keep picking up the variants if they are cheap enough. It's one of my long-shot pick-ups, but, as you said, even if something does happen, I think the multitude of variants (and 0, 1/2, 1, previews, etc) is just too confusing.