• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To CGC or not to CGC, this is the question I ask of thee?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

First post I am somewhat slow

Major Sci-Fi enthusiast

I have Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 1984 #'s 1 through 12
And
Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars II 1985 #'s 1 through 9
All of these are in plastic sleeves with backer boards

Should I have these CGC'ed
This is just the beginning of another 400+ or so to sort through

Thank you

On 12/9/2021 at 5:31 PM, ARM63 said:

Major Sci-Fi enthusiast

And

Thank you

You may want to browse the Please Grade My (PGM) Thread and get an idea of how to post photos of any books you think might be worth grading. There are many ways to check values, but one quick way is to search sold comics with the titles and issue numbers on ebay. You can sort by recently sold, as well as high and low sales. Good luck!

On 12/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, ARM63 said:

Apologies for being blunt but that is practically meaningless.

Condition is king and the books you referenced have very high populations.  Take the advice of the post above this one and don't quit your day job just yet :)

On 12/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, ARM63 said:

Major Sci-Fi enthusiast

And

Thank you

Secret Wars l

#s 1, 3 & 8 are worth slabbing if they're in great condition.

Post pics of them on the "spare a grade" board and the experts will let you know what's what.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:01 PM, lostboys said:

Secret Wars l

Post pics of them on the "spare a grade" board and the experts will let you know what's what.

This is what I was going to suggest also. Post in Spare a Grade and see. Check Ebay or other sites for others based on feedback you get. 9.8s = $$$ for a lot of these. If not that high, 1,3, 8 are your best to consider. 

On 12/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, lostboys said:

#1 in 9.6 = $230

#3 in 9.6 = $250

#8 in 9.6 = $350

gocollect.com

Making the assumption that you have 9.6 books. 

What if they are 9.4? Using GPA: #1 in 9.4 is $120, #3 is $95, #8 is $220

What if they are 9.2? 

How accurate of a grader compared to CGC are you?

Are your copies direct editions or news stands?

Edited by Artboy99

On 12/10/2021 at 7:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

What if they are 9.2? 

That's why I suggested posting pics of those issues on the "spare a grade" board.

I certainly trust those guys.

I'd send in #8 if they told me it wad a 9.0 or better.

The other 2 books would have to be 9.4-9.6 for me to take the chance and if they came back 9.2 they'd still be an easy sell.

very broadly, do as others have stated and post in the 'please grade my comic (or whatever the name is)' subforum and find out your grades as CONSERVATIVE estimates.  Then go on ebay and search for 'sold' prices of your books, using the lower of the grades and the lower end of the price range for both SLABBED AND RAW BOOKS.  Then go on the CGC website and calculate how much it will be to submit all your books, including shipping and insurance and grading and invoice fees. Probably factor in the opportunity cost of tying up your money for 8-10 months, if that matters to you.

Decide for yourself if it seems like your personal subjective value thresholds are met (they are different for everyone).  You may also consider taxes, maybe not, depends on your situation (as does most of it).

If you feel like you love slabbed books then go for it??? I would suggest that if they're beater copies, or even VF copies to refrain from grading them if you're thinking of trying to flip them. Also, start you tubing grading examples of what a 9.4,9.6, and 9.8 look like. That way you have a better idea on grading and can make a better conclusion whether its worth slabbing these books to flip them if that's your goal. 

Personally I only like to slab certain books that either mean something personal to me, have great covers, are scarce (like golden age books), or are something I can flip in order to reinvest in the comics I'm trying to upgrade or acquire in my collection. 

I got a complete set of secret wars in great condition but I'd personally would rather have those raw. Some books are just better raw for me, sometimes it ain't the same when they're slabbed. 

On 12/9/2021 at 9:00 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

You may want to browse the Please Grade My (PGM) Thread and get an idea of how to post photos of any books you think might be worth grading. There are many ways to check values, but one quick way is to search sold comics with the titles and issue numbers on ebay. You can sort by recently sold, as well as high and low sales. Good luck!

Thank you

On 12/9/2021 at 10:33 PM, MAR1979 said:

Apologies for being blunt but that is practically meaningless.

Condition is king and the books you referenced have very high populations.  Take the advice of the post above this one and don't quit your day job just yet :)

I know and thanks but, the worst thing was out of the 3 boxes I was able to rescue, the dozer man at the landfill was intent on burying another 20+ boxes.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, lostboys said:

Secret Wars l

Yeah, I have already began photographing them

On 12/12/2021 at 4:10 PM, ARM63 said:

.....out of the 3 boxes I was able to rescue, the dozer man at the landfill was intent on burying another 20+ boxes.

Now we get to the real story! Hanging out at the landfill site so you can rescue comics destined for 'dozer-doom is worthy of its own new thread :Rocket:

On 12/10/2021 at 7:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

What if they are 9.2? 

Thank you so much, although personally, I never assume anything nor have grading experience hence, my question "to CGC or not" here on this forum because, I HOPE this is the best place to begin.