• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need some gradeing advice

10 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2021 at 7:24 AM, Angelmendoza said:

I wanted to sell as soon as I got the book back but I am unsure if it will maintain its value when it gets back.

this is the unknown and the risk of submitting modern books.

My advice is to not submit it. The odds that you have a 9.8 are not great as most books purchased off the comic store shelf are not 9.8, nor are direct mail purchases. The value after CGC 9.8 on most moderns plummets and makes submitting not cost effective.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:53 AM, Angelmendoza said:

I was thinking of sending animal castle #1 to get graded but im unsure if this is a good choice. Does anyone have experience with gradeing these kinds of comic books?

From what I can see, this is what, a $10-20 book online?!?! Am I missing something? Grading will cost you $40-50 all in and you would be banking on a 9.8 getting you maybeeeeeeeeee what, $100? 

I wouldn't unless, as I mentioned, I am missing something like this being a variant cover or something 

On 12/10/2021 at 8:10 AM, comicginger1789 said:

From what I can see, this is what, a $10-20 book online?!?! Am I missing something? Grading will cost you $40-50 all in and you would be banking on a 9.8 getting you maybeeeeeeeeee what, $100? 

I wouldn't unless, as I mentioned, I am missing something like this being a variant cover or something 

Can you ship a book to CGC, have it graded and shipped back for $50?   If you can, please list how.

very broadly, do as others have stated and post in the 'please grade my comic (or whatever the name is)' subforum and find out your grades as CONSERVATIVE estimates.  Then go on ebay and search for 'sold' prices of your books, using the lower of the grades and the lower end of the price range for both SLABBED AND RAW BOOKS.  Then go on the CGC website and calculate how much it will be to submit all your books, including shipping and insurance and grading and invoice fees. Probably factor in the opportunity cost of tying up your money for 8-10 months, if that matters to you.

Decide for yourself if it seems like your personal subjective value thresholds are met (they are different for everyone).  You may also consider taxes, maybe not, depends on your situation (as does most of it).