• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Comic Investment Advisor

64 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was into comics a while back and owned some pretty valuable (Hulk #1, Hulk #181, WW #1) ones but sold them in the early 2000s for a fraction of what they are worth today. Now I want to get back into it but would like an advisor to help me find suitable investments and provide advice on potential purchases.  Does this type of service exist?

Thanks,

rmonson

Agree with most here.  

No one can predict the future, so there is no inside track to hitting a home run with every purchase.  

That said, the Big Keys have a proven track record of growth. So my advice would be, pick your favorite characters, determine the amount you want to spend and then narrow in on a few big books. 

If you have a price range in mind people can make suggestions. And if your goal is strictly to "invest" in comics, I would stick with the big keys. Unfortunately, those are getting pretty expensive... But that's what you want out of an investment I suppose. 

Those are among the questions any qualified investment advisor would ask:  

- how much do you wish to invest?

- for what investment objective?

- for what time period?

- what is your tolerance for risk with this component of your portfolio?

On 12/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Here's some free advice: Don't "invest" in comic books.

I think this advice is spot on. Having held and 'lost' (I don't know if you made a profit or not based on your original costs,) you have to shrug and walk away from the past. The real question is now, do you want to collect comics again? If you do, great. But to get the most from the collecting experience (ie fun, pleasure,) buy what you'll enjoy owning, reading, and passing on in the fullness of time. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:34 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I think this advice is spot on. Having held and 'lost' (I don't know if you made a profit or not based on your original costs,) you have to shrug and walk away from the past. The real question is now, do you want to collect comics again? If you do, great. But to get the most from the collecting experience (ie fun, pleasure,) buy what you'll enjoy owning, reading, and passing on in the fullness of time. 

Why? 

What stocks or cds do you buy to enjoy owning, reading or passing on?

Who buys five figure slabs to enjoy reading or owning? I didn't spend $12,000 on a Hulk 181 to enjoy reading it, nor did I buy it so it can get passed on when I die. I bought it because in a few years I will sell it and make money on it. Thas how investments work. 

On 12/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, shadroch said:

Why? 

What stocks or cds do you buy to enjoy owning, reading or passing on?

Who buys five figure slabs to enjoy reading or owning? I didn't spend $12,000 on a Hulk 181 to enjoy reading it, nor did I buy it so it can get passed on when I die. I bought it because in a few years I will sell it and make money on it. Thas how investments work. 

I guess I don't see comics as investments. I see them as joyful tokens of an extended childhood. God forbid I ever get all serious about them :peace:

On 12/13/2021 at 11:51 AM, shadroch said:

Yes, God forbid you actually make money on something you love. It's much better to work at a job you mildly like than doing something you enjoy.

Hey, kudos to all of those who are able to analyze the market and make a living off of a medium that they enjoy.

That doesn't mean that I want people entering the hobby to "invest" in its goods. I would rather people who enjoy the medium own the big pieces, even if I cannot.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 12/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, DainBramaged said:

Comics are actually a hobby for some of us :whatthe:  No flipping or speculating necessary. I haven't sold a comic in 22 years :acclaim:

The OP didn't ask for advice on what comics were good to read. He asked about investing. 

If he wanted to know what good reads he has missed out on, he'd have asked and I'd answer differently. 

Edited by shadroch

I see the primary difficulty for the OP in determining appropriate "investments" in comics as one of diversification.  I completely agree that - if you're trying to be an "investor" rather than, or in addition to, a "collector" - focusing on Key books is the way to go.  But unless you have really significant money available to buy Key books, preferably in higher grades, and unless those purchases represent only a fraction of your total investment portfolio, you are not going to be able to have a diversified portfolio of Key comics, or be able to ensure your overall portfolio is diversified. It would be poor investing strategy to buy only one or two Key books in the hopes they will be among those to rise in value in years to come.

When the herd is saying buy, you sell. When the herd is saying sell, it is time to buy. 

Let's pretend you have $100 in a savings account. Do you leave it there and make perhaps $3 interest in the next few years, or do you buy a mid-grade Ditko Spidey or Kirby  FF?

Telling people they need thousands to invest in some hypothetical key is just wrong thinking.

Why would an investor want a diversified portfolio of comics? I'd be laser focused on buying quality, not looking for diversity.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:59 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I see the primary difficulty for the OP in determining appropriate "investments" in comics as one of diversification.  I completely agree that - if you're trying to be an "investor" rather than, or in addition to, a "collector" - focusing on Key books is the way to go.  But unless you have really significant money available to buy Key books, preferably in higher grades, and unless those purchases represent only a fraction of your total investment portfolio, you are not going to be able to have a diversified portfolio of Key comics, or be able to ensure your overall portfolio is diversified. It would be poor investing strategy to buy only one or two Key books in the hopes they will be among those to rise in value in years to come.

I've moved most of my 401K into S&P 500 and Large Cap index's in Oct 2008 and increased my contributions to ensure max employer match at same time. I've kept all my comics, but as collector that's what we do. The point I guess is like any investment buy at a low. For comic's 2022 shows signs of dips and drops across the board - outliers and hot books of the day, of course always not withstanding. 

IMHO if you do not understand a market like Comics then find something else to invest in. Relying on others for advice especially with collectibles does not seem prudent.

Edited by MAR1979

I mean it sounds like you have an idea of some of the keys.  With just the slightest bit of research (equal to or less than you'd put in for any other investment), you could find out about some other big keys, and take a look at the sales performance history for CGC'd books, mostly through a paid price tracking service called "GPA analysis".  If you've ever liked comics at all, you can buy some of the first/early appearances of your favorite characters, and 'invest' if you like the trajectory you've seen.

But as others have said, it really depends on your investment preferences, your financial situation, etc.  I mean if you have a specific book or type of books in mind, you can just post the question here, get a bunch of answers, and pick and choose the advice that makes the most sense to you.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:51 AM, shadroch said:

Yes, God forbid you actually make money on something you love. It's much better to work at a job you mildly like than doing something you enjoy.

Right? 

I love collecting comics. I also love that I can spend $4-5 grand each year and with a little work, turn it into $8-10k and use that money to help with life or to even fund other books. It's possible to be a investillector! Maybe not to the scale that true investors are but I still have a dozen books at CGC that I am happier to sell for profit than to own when they return.