• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Comic Investment Advisor

64 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, RWMH said:

Hi,

I was into comics a while back and owned some pretty valuable (Hulk #1, Hulk #181, WW #1) ones but sold them in the early 2000s for a fraction of what they are worth today. Now I want to get back into it but would like an advisor to help me find suitable investments and provide advice on potential purchases.  Does this type of service exist?

Thanks,

rmonson

Yes, please send me 10k via venmo

On 12/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, Grottu said:

I stopped viewing collecting solely as an investment years ago and have enjoyed it more ever since (but I hear Blackstone will be happy to advise you on where to get them graded)…

Honestly, I'm the complete opposite.  I now view them only as an investment. No more spending money on books just so I'm one closer to filling a run.  Now I look at a book and think- can I flip it for a profit or is this a book I want to hold for three to five years?   I no longer enjoy new comics and the oversized Omnis are much easier for me to read than the original sizes. 

On 12/19/2021 at 8:22 PM, Fisionbomb said:

I second this.

It's called Passion investments or Alternative investments for a reason.  People don't buy million dollar comics so they can read it.  People don't buy million dollar coins so they can spend it.  They buy them cause they enjoy the rarity and the hobby. 

Stocks are only about a 7-10% yearly return, let's face facts, Stocks are boring and comics are much more fun, people pay big money to add their favorite books to their collection.  A lot more people want an AF 15 than people want a share of Apple stock. 

On 12/19/2021 at 7:55 PM, goldsilverap said:

I was wondering the same thing, but the only thing I could think of is Wonder Woman #1

WW #1 = Wonder Woman 1

ToD = Tomb Of Dracula

ToS = Tales Of Suspense

TTA = Tales To Astonish 

ASM = Amazing Spider-Man

Tec = Detective Comics

AC = Action Comics

FF = Fantastic Four 

DD = Daredevil  

On 12/19/2021 at 8:37 PM, Kevin76 said:

lot more people want an AF 15 than people want a share of Apple stock. 

It is kind of fun to think about. 

If you got a bonus at work and your boss said you could have $50k worth of Apple Stock or $50k towards an AF15 (And I completely understand the obsurdity of this scenerio...)

I imagine 95 out of 100 people reading this thread would take the AF15. And I imagine 99 out of 100 financial advisors would tell you to take the stock.  

I'm not sure which one would perform better over a given time period, but I'm sure I would rather own the AF15.  I would enjoy owning it more.... That simple. 

On 12/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, RWMH said:

Hi,

I was into comics a while back and owned some pretty valuable (Hulk #1, Hulk #181, WW #1) ones but sold them in the early 2000s for a fraction of what they are worth today. Now I want to get back into it but would like an advisor to help me find suitable investments and provide advice on potential purchases.  Does this type of service exist?

Thanks,

rmonson

Buy those 3 again along with Action Comics 1, Batman 1 and Detective Comics 27

Edited by William-James88

Thinking about what the OP asked, I guess one formula you can glean from these boards is that you would buy high grade raw, then send it to CGC and the difference in value between raw and graded is your start off bonus. Assuming the costs incurred did not exceed the value of the book, you now have something with an enhanced value you can hold or sell at a profit. But...

There is no substitute for having a detailed and thorough knowledge of the field, usually gained over a period of years. 

And, an advisor, however good, is not a shortcut to that knowledge.  

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 12/19/2021 at 5:39 PM, Kevin76 said:

WW #1 = Wonder Woman 1

ToD = Tomb Of Dracula

ToS = Tales Of Suspense

TTA = Tales To Astonish 

ASM = Amazing Spider-Man

Tec = Detective Comics

AC = Action Comics

FF = Fantastic Four 

DD = Daredevil  

and ST = Strange Tales (thumbsu

On 12/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Thinking about what the OP asked, I guess one formula you can glean from these boards is that you would buy high grade raw, then send it to CGC 

I agree this is one possible path to investment success with comics.  At the same time, this is a strategy that I’d recommend only for a collector who is seasoned enough to be able to detect any sort of restoration, even when it’s minor.  Missed resto on one book can easily turn a potential profit to a significant loss, so this strategy would not be wise for a newbie.

Edited by SOTIcollector
removing trailing blanks