• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

****The Collector's Summit : May 28-29, 2022 " Bringing Together Valued and Respected Members of a Rapidly Changing Community "****
1 1

117 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2022 at 8:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I believe the first 50 attendees to show up Saturday morning received a key chain.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:12 PM, Funnybooks said:

The first 50 attendees had their picks of whatever was available/left in the pot

Awesome early bird special! Cool :)

I have a con two weeks from Friday and am excited, so glad to get a glimpse!

On 5/30/2022 at 6:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome early bird special! Cool :)

I have a con two weeks from Friday and am excited, so glad to get a glimpse!

Everyone also received a free tee shirt courtesy of shortboxed which is located there in Bellevue.

Hope you have a great Con visit!

On 5/30/2022 at 8:19 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Everyone also received a free tee shirt courtesy of shortboxed which is located there in Bellevue.

Hope you have a great Con visit!

Comic themed I'm sure? Or was it shortboxed themed? Sounds like yall had a time of it. :whee:

On 5/30/2022 at 6:12 PM, Funnybooks said:

The first 50 attendees had their picks of whatever was available/left in the pot

Yes, was fun to watch seasoned collectors feverishly digging thru the pot looking for their fave GA key or classic cover. Thank you to Amber Jan :womanhero: for selecting such great GA covers for her key fobs and refrigerator magnet designs.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:23 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Aardvark posted a pic of the back of the shirt on page 5.  Shortboxed logo on front.  Very tasteful :)

Oh bless you, the way it resembled his comic I thought it was all related lol

At the very least, "wasnt free" Haha

Awesome  :x

On 5/31/2022 at 6:00 AM, Funnybooks said:

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on the show...what was good or bad? Suggestions for next year?

it was a fun time and there were some great books there! what was good was the level of GA and SA stuff in the room, no extraneous nonsense, and a nice location near good food and hotels. 

what i'd like to see for next year are more dealers, (ideally a second room the same size as this one was) a larger crowd, and a lower priced ticket (which might bring a bigger crowd too). i helped work a booth saturday and it felt like the crowd came in at opening and then that was kind of it. no sustained entry of too many more people throughout the day. and several buddies who had flown in were hanging around but by 3pm felt they had already seen everything in a pretty short amount of time. 

i think the uncertain economic situation right now led many to be cautious about buying, and i'm sure if this same crowd came in summer of 2021 there would have been ALOT more buying. 

the open tables in the middle of the room seemed to be very popular with people, and i often saw more activity there than at dealers booths. so perhaps even more space for anyone to set up and show their stuff that is for sale or trade. 

i think it was a great start, and i hope that this time next year, the economy will be in a more stable place, so most of us can feel better about spending our money! if you have any control over the global economy, then perhaps pull some strings. xD

On 5/31/2022 at 6:00 AM, Funnybooks said:

what was good or bad? Suggestions for next year?

Recommendations:

1. Change the Summit hours to noon to 5 p.m. for both days, as some dealers (Harley) was setting up at 8:30 a.m.

2. Was glad to see so many spare hand-trucks on parking level 1 to help smaller collector-dealers wheel their inventory up the elevators.

3. Post how to easily scan the free parking exit pass into the evil Parking Validator machine. I could not make it scan properly so just paid to exit the compact but great Summit.

4. Try to double the square footage of the halls but this may only be possible by limiting the Summit to 1 day to encourage more mom n pop dealers to support the con. I realize this may limit the # of bigger con dealers and collectors who will only fly/drive in from out of state to a deluxe 2 day show.

5. I should have spent more time carefully digging thru the raw pulps and pulp original art at the Summit, as retail prices will continue to increase due to Cgc slabbing of pulps.

Thanks to @shortboxed@Kihei Comicsand Collectibles, and GA Comic Guru for their hard work and social media promotion of this inaugural :cheers: event.

As noted earlier in this thread, I haven't been to a "comic convention" since the mid-1970s (I'm pretty sure I got an Avengers #30 there for $0.75).  This felt a lot like that (except for the prices, of course), which I regard as a good thing although I've never experienced the more "cosplay-centric" kind of event.  It seems to me that the goals as described in the initial posts about this event were met and you can't ask for much more than that.

A few random thoughts:  1)  Alex touched on this above, and I agree - the show was too small and "limited" to sustain interest.  Depending on your collecting interests, one could probably see everything there was to see in two or three hours.  I felt pretty satisfied that I knew what was available after the first day, and "slept on" a couple of potential purchases which I ended up making on Sunday.  The availability of the tables for smaller display was a genius-level idea and ameliorated this problem a bit.  The challenge for the organizers, of course, is that you want to give good value for the entry fee so they couldn't really run a one-day show for what was being charged.

2)  With this in mind, organizers of a future show of this type should consider what could be added that might engage attendees.  Aside from myself, this seemed a very knowledgeable, experienced group of collectors, so some of what might be added depends on who attends and if the additions might attract attendees who otherwise might be hesitant.  As an example that would be relevant to me but probably not to almost everyone else who was there would be some kind of break-out session on grading or "how to evaluate a raw comic" or something similar which might help bring younger or less experienced collectors to the show.  I think 2 or 3 such sessions on topics of interest could be developed that would fit in with the more "serious" nature of the show's culture.  Perhaps a presentation on World War II covers or the SOTI era but it would take someone who knows this group better than I to figure out what would be valuable.  Could a "famous" private collector be enticed to give a presentation?

3)  Just to reiterate - the "bring a short box and set up a pop-up shop!" idea was a fantastic addition.  It allowed some refreshing of the show, if on a small scale and the ones that showed up brought their "A" game.  I bought a book from one.  

4)  Show hours starting in the early afternoon were great.  

5)  Venue and its location were good as well.  At many hours of any day it's not "convenient" to get anywhere in the Seattle area, but this choice worked out well.  There's plenty of other things to do (I did attend the Mariners game Friday) so the idea of bringing family is on the table, eliminating one possible barrier to attendance.

6)  I had a chuckle on Saturday later in the day when I came back up from the parking garage - there sat the "welcome table" with no one in attendance and plenty of show badges and name tags available for the taking.  

All-in-all for me a very successful event.  I was pleased to be able to talk with several Board members and some other collectors.  Since it's "what I collect" I was satisfied with the Gold/Silver/Bronze focus and was astounded at the pulp offerings.  There were really some beautiful pulps.  Great variety in the offerings.

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 5/31/2022 at 6:43 PM, TerrysComics said:

the show was excellent, for a first time event this was amazingly well run.

I loved the hours and the fact that attendees could sell their stuff.

perhaps a raffle and or a panel or two, would keep people interested in the event a little longer.

some pictures:

collectors_summit1.thumb.jpg.aaa1dc868478cde5b204f232ccc2c827.jpg collectors_summit4.thumb.jpg.86e175b4e070ceb8dcc6e0327374ef0c.jpg

collectors_summit2.thumb.jpg.f5935ba031cd6ea0e562b026355aefac.jpg collectors_summit6.thumb.jpg.39f1a69f1e47f82786eff9e1a0929c8a.jpg

collectors_summit5.thumb.jpg.57669dd34c8d038e1ed170221e211fe7.jpg collectors_summit3.thumb.jpg.e4459189fe7485fbf2e01c5bc9bd0dd9.jpg

Not too shabby! Glad the first was successful. 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:43 PM, TerrysComics said:

the show was excellent, for a first time event this was amazingly well run.

I loved the hours and the fact that attendees could sell their stuff.

perhaps a raffle and or a panel or two, would keep people interested in the event a little longer.

some pictures:

collectors_summit1.thumb.jpg.aaa1dc868478cde5b204f232ccc2c827.jpg collectors_summit4.thumb.jpg.86e175b4e070ceb8dcc6e0327374ef0c.jpg

collectors_summit2.thumb.jpg.f5935ba031cd6ea0e562b026355aefac.jpg collectors_summit6.thumb.jpg.39f1a69f1e47f82786eff9e1a0929c8a.jpg

collectors_summit5.thumb.jpg.57669dd34c8d038e1ed170221e211fe7.jpg collectors_summit3.thumb.jpg.e4459189fe7485fbf2e01c5bc9bd0dd9.jpg

Thank you Terry for being a very integral part of the success of the show