• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

George Perez appreciation thread
3 3

74 posts in this topic

It seems we always wait until after someone has passed before we show our appreciation.  Let's celebrate the work by George Perez that has brought us joy.

Let me start by saying that I am very late to the George Perez art appreciation.  Only after the Infinity Gauntlet limited series was heating up did it come to my attention.  I read the TPB and decided to grab the run.  I loved the art - the splash pages were like Kirby's with the elaborate details as was depicted on the cover.  If I'm not mistaken, I got a nice signed #1 9.6 from Joey on these boards a few years back.

That opened up my curiosity and I got into the Wonder Woman reboot he did back in 1987.  That wraparound cover is truly a work of masters.  I find his version of Wonder Woman the most empowered of them all - she is drawn in a way to command authority with a sprinkling of vulnerability and a dash of sass.

976741144_InfinityG1.thumb.jpg.d1be16be3adedf82fad3b807f9d797cb.jpg

image.png.e2df10926076b335e6a6baea70007862.png

What's your George Perez fave?

I'd have posted Wonder Woman 1 as well.  Great cover, for a series with a lot of excellent Perez art and consistently good stories throughout.  Read it again this year.

I'll have this as an alternative,,,

685939.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'd met George at Mike's Comic Hut but was surprised to see him set up at a NY Con in the Spring of 77. He was pushing his first portfolio and doing head shots for $2 each.  There were maybe a dozen guys standing around his table, waiting for sketches.  My turn came and I asked him to do a head shot of Aragorn. 

He looks at me kind of funny and says- You want a head shot of Aragorn, to which I say yes.  He then says something about not drawing horses very well and I realize he is thinking of the Winged Horse that I think The Valkyrie was then riding. I explain that I mean the King from LOTRs and he confesses he'd never heard of him nor read the book.  A dozen fanboys are taken aback and half start telling him how much he is missing and expressing disbelief that he wasn't familiar with the books. 

We settled on a head shot of Adam Warlock and I bought a portfolio to make up for the aggravation I inadvertedly caused. 

On 12/10/2021 at 4:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

GacANNuvdB1mJqLJyvLdjlOBDllFlzRHBWnUbJnx

One I like because the face-off and charge between the two groups is less chaotic than in many of Perez's hyper-detailed covers, and, overall it's superb and easy to appreciate his talent.

Ip9zZry0NQ6qMUbCqIoVfjDU18yEh76qOGOolhCB

Another one I like because it's a simple, detailed and emotional composition, also marking the return of one of my favourite teams.

733185.jpg

One of the great Titans stories.

Right there with you, Ken. The cover of #13 hooked me instantly when I saw it as a kid, and I became a lifelong Titans fan. Hard to choose just one book or one cover; the whole run from #1-50 is fantastic. I remember vividly the feeling of a gut-punch while reading the Terra "reveal" at the end of #34, all these decades later.

Notable too that George was billed as a co-creator of the series from the beginning, not "just" the artist.

Edited by Point Five

Gil Kane ? John Romita?

On 12/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, kav said:

Me and HS buddy big Avengers fans-when George Perez showed up we were thrilled.  We never heard of him before but we loved the way he did Avengers.  Perez big influence on my youth.  

clean.jpg

Gil Kane, John Romita cover?

On 12/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, ganni said:

Gil Kane ? John Romita?

Gil Kane, John Romita cover?

I see nostrils so must be Kane.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:36 PM, topcat54 said:

But George did the art for the book

who did the art for avengers # 141

Man we LOVED the Squadron Sinister!!!!  DC should of done an Avengers parody evil team.

Edited by kav

On 12/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, Point Five said:

Notable too that George was billed as a co-creator of the series from the beginning, not "just" the artist.

That's right.  He also did a lot of plotting on the post-Crisis Wonder Woman comic.