• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Cream to Off White" pages when grail hunting
4 4

45 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2021 at 7:19 AM, Venomous72 said:

Probs not the same as yours, less than 3-4k on the census count I suppose. Big silver age key Marvel 1962-1963 stuff. I’m personally looking at an Avengers 1..

obviously there are way more scarce books. 

CGC census does not deem a book scarce.

I basically collect Bronze, so it’s white pages only.  I’m too particular about QP to not want the best PQ as well.

I’ve tried to pull the trigger on a couple books I’m after that we’re perfectly centered with ow/w pages, and I just couldn’t.

This despite the fact I know first hand how the PQ designation can often change upon resubmission.:insane:

On 12/11/2021 at 12:00 PM, PKJ said:

I bought plenty of IH181's over the years with intent of selling and they always sold pretty well for OW/W but White always sold for higher. In Bronze age books I still do not cross the C/OW line. 

For silver, AF15 for instance, even though there are copies in OW or better, they almost always carry a premium even when they have heavy MC. I watched for a while for a copy  to hit in my wheelhouse with requirements in this order. Budget, No MC, No large pieces from front cover, then PQ. A really nice presenting C/OW hit and I went in on that one. At the time it was not discounted due to PQ, I am pretty sure it ranked in the top 4-5 highest prices for that grade sold even at the time. When it got here I was very happy with it. Fast forward today. If I had of kept waiting to buy an AF15  each copy I have watched with thoughts of upgrading the one I have hit pretty serious sales prices. So I am not sure it would be a book I would have PQ as a deterrent even though there are a decent amount of options each auction cycle.

@Venomous72 this is a great example of how it depends on the book. as @PKJ noted, a common book like Hulk 181 always sells, but white pages always sell for higher prices since many collectors know they just need to wait for the next white one to show up at auction. for a book like AF15, C/OW is far from a problem if it's a nice looking copy, and it's probably the majority of copies that have them. 

still, i tend to think that outside of the 5-8 major SA keys, C/OW pages are undesirable, unless the book is truly a stunner. 

Some books are very tough to find with better page quality, for example, if you're looking at underground comix.  I only have one with CR / OW pages, a copy of Up From The Deep 1, 9.6, which is a classic Richard Corben book.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Just request that CGC remove the PQ designation all together.  Problem solved (thumbsu

At the very, very, very start CGC did not note PQ. I've heard that was only the first couple of months?

I don't sell comics but guessing this may offend the sensibilities of a WP snob like Herr Storms :)

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0000043015/

WW196.thumb.jpg.cbf7e4fa5894097eb4dd46dc22082ca3.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, Venomous72 said:

Small update, I made the plunge on my first CR/OW book and am thrilled.  I think it displays very nice for a 3.0!

av2.jpg

congrats! looks great for the grade. SA keys are a great buy no matter what the page quality is. i have probably missed some great opportunities by avoiding C/OW books. this one looks like a real keeper and will do well for you should you sell it someday in the future. 

Congrats on the Avengers 1.

My first copy was a beater that graded at cgc when I sent it in as a 1.5 cream/off-white pages and I was happy with it.

But years later I ungraded to a better one that after I sent it in and this was before the days of pressing a 6.5 Off-white pages.

Myself page quality comes in second except I won't entertain brittle or slightly brittle pages, to me that a lot more page quality aging for me.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:18 AM, alexgross.com said:

congrats! looks great for the grade. SA keys are a great buy no matter what the page quality is. i have probably missed some great opportunities by avoiding C/OW books. this one looks like a real keeper and will do well for you should you sell it someday in the future. 

Thank you!  Yeah I think passing this one by would have been a mistake.  I am also planning on resubmitting it with a clean and press at some point so it may come back Off White or something.  Regardless I am very happy with it :)

On 12/19/2021 at 8:20 AM, southern cross said:

Congrats on the Avengers 1.

My first copy was a beater that graded at cgc when I sent it in as a 1.5 cream/off-white pages and I was happy with it.

But years later I ungraded to a better one that after I sent it in and this was before the days of pressing a 6.5 Off-white pages.

Myself page quality comes in second except I won't entertain brittle or slightly brittle pages, to me that a lot more page quality aging for me.

Thank you!  

As a golden age collector, at least half my collection has cream to off-white pages. The only thing I avoid is brittle, because I made that mistake before.

Paper doesn't stay white forever, even in optimal conditions. In time, even books slabbed with white pages, won't be.

I get unreasonably tilted by the obsession for "White" pages.  Those books are sealed in plastic.  Yes, I understand that people who obsess over White pages will pay more for books with White pages and so dealers in turn set premiums on White pages and it is a never-ending viscous cycle of dumb.

I know that's not actually it. 

And it doesn't affect me at all what someone else cares about. 

I said it was unreasonable. 

But, the tilt persists.