• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to take pictures for Ebay

21 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, aleksicwon said:

Anybody have tips on how to properly take pictures for selling on Ebay ?

It's like I have tried so many times and my photos keep getting glare and reflections on the CGC cases .
I don't know what to do . What is the proper setup ?

The scanners we have at my work are large enough to handle a slab.  I just went in early on the occassions I needed to use it.

Possible scanners at a close by office store (Staples etc) 

If you have a sunny day bring it outside - 30 seconds in the sunlight to take a quick picture isn't going to damage it.  Then you just angle it to avoid shadows

Regarding scanners, some do an excellent job with slabs but others are blurry because the book inside of the slab is not actually in contact with the glass but a small distance above it. You should look for a CCD (Charge Coupled Device) scanner rather than a CIS (Contact Image Sensor) scanner. The CCD scanner will produce those sharp slab images with crisp text. You can cut down on cost by getting an 8.5 x 11 scanner and scanning the book and then the label (with a bit of the book showing). Otherwise an 8.5" x 14" will fit the whole thing perfectly. Definitely an added expense but great if you plan on listing a number of books or listing fairly frequently, plus you have a scanner for other uses as well.

Edited by PovertyRow

On 12/11/2021 at 7:36 AM, shadroch said:

For about $30, you can buy a kit that has proper backgrounds that eliminate most glar and reflections. some even have a camera tripod.

Look for light box kits.

Yeah I have a light box kit , not helping me , I guess I am not using the light correctly . Don't get it .

On 12/11/2021 at 11:54 AM, PovertyRow said:

Regarding scanners, some do an excellent job with slabs but others are blurry because the book inside of the slab is not actually in contact with the glass but a small distance above it. You should look for a CCD (Charge Coupled Device) scanner rather than a CIS (Contact Image Sensor) scanner. The CCD scanner will produce those sharp slab images with crisp text. You can cut down on cost by getting an 8.5 x 11 scanner and scanning the book and then the label (with a bit of the book showing). Otherwise an 8.5" x 14" will fit the whole thing perfectly. Definitely an added expense but great if you plan on listing a number of books or listing fairly frequently, plus you have a scanner for other uses as well.

Do you have a make and model in mind ? Seems not easy for me to find after brief search ...

On 12/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, aleksicwon said:

Yeah I have a light box kit , not helping me , I guess I am not using the light correctly . Don't get it .

Can you use indirect light, for example by using a reflector? (I'm talking photgraphy here rather than scanner.) I used to use a piece of cardboard covered in baking foil as a reflector to create a diffuse light around the object (usually a die-cast, but works for comics too.) You can bend the board to get the right 'focus' of light. Also a curved backdrop of the appropriate colour can help. With patience and experimentation you'll get there. Necessity being the mother etc. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 12/12/2021 at 7:57 AM, aleksicwon said:

Do you have a make and model in mind ? Seems not easy for me to find after brief search ...

Not off the top of my head. I had an old Epson many years ago that worked for slabs but it would only run on XP and earlier.

Just do a search for "CCD Flatbed Scanner" and you will get a good amount of information and models. If you see some that look interesting check the specs and make sure it actually is CCD technology.

Taking photos of slabs.

Camera on tripod (using timer) with a black poster board or similar non reflective material behind camera to cut reflections on slab.

If room is too dark or light not even (flat),  lights can be used at about 45 degrees from both sides. If lights are too harsh, something like thin tissue paper can be put in front of lights to soften and spread illumination.

Light can also be bounced using a white board, also at 45 degrees so as not to reflect onto the slab.

Edited by jokiing

On 12/16/2021 at 6:32 AM, Squabbles94806 said:

Is ebay still the primary choice for a seller's market? I'm more concerned with their fees and percentages they take. 

I'd be more concerned with some of the "characters" on ebay, especially with high value books.

I sell all my slabbed comic books thru MyComicShop. 10% up to $300 and 8% above the $300 mark.

Edited by jokiing

20211216_162742.thumb.jpg.63fd3f8f4bcc94767925b845ae92de0d.jpgI think a scanner will be a good investment if you stick with comic collecting.

A good scan of your book is like a fingerprint.  It uniquely documents your property.

Also, I like to scan some of my favorites so I can do things like print them and laminate the prints to make a display to stick on the front of my fridge or whatever.  A good scan looks amazing and allows you to enjoy your book in a whole new risk-free way.

I have a small stack of laminated scans with me now that I'm using to shop for an artist to use for copying into sign-sized paintings.

Edited by Turnando

On 12/12/2021 at 12:28 PM, PovertyRow said:

Not off the top of my head. I had an old Epson many years ago that worked for slabs but it would only run on XP and earlier.

Just do a search for "CCD Flatbed Scanner" and you will get a good amount of information and models. If you see some that look interesting check the specs and make sure it actually is CCD technology.

Looks like the CCD Flatbed Scanners that are 8.5" x 14" are too expensive for me . There is an epson 8.5 x 11 that is affordable but if it is not going to fit the cgc case , it is not worth it . Can you tell me if the plustek 1180 scanner is acceptable ? it is not CCD though i think .

So it is not required for the lid to close ?

Edited by aleksicwon

On 12/18/2021 at 2:28 PM, aleksicwon said:

Looks like the CCD Flatbed Scanners that are 8.5" x 14" are too expensive for me . There is an epson 8.5 x 11 that is affordable but if it is not going to fit the cgc case , it is not worth it . Can you tell me if the plustek 1180 scanner is acceptable ? it is not CCD though i think .

So it is not required for the lid to close ?

Not required to close the lid. But the one I used to use was 8.5 x 11. Not too big a deal to scan the book and the label seperately. 

On 12/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, PovertyRow said:

Not required to close the lid. But the one I used to use was 8.5 x 11. Not too big a deal to scan the book and the label seperately. 

Yeah I don't know man , just can't make myself go half way on it , has to capture the whole case . Anyway looks like I am back to figuring out how to use my camera properly .

On 12/12/2021 at 10:57 AM, aleksicwon said:

It must be a CCD scanner. CIS scanner pics will be very blurry and useless.

https://www.tavco.net/articles/bid/107329/compare-ccd-vs-cis-scanner-technologies

I recommend (it's in my sig :) ) the OpticPro Plustek A320E. However given the $550 price tag it does represent a bit of an "investment"

Edited by MAR1979

pick up a used HP Scanjet. I currently use a 7400C and just use a scanning program as the drivers are no longer usable in Win10 ( I use Vuescan)

I recommend an 8250 or 8300 flatbed 8.5"X14" model. Check for them on Ebay you can find deals.

Also: I have taken some decent pics placing my slab in a CGC box lid, and simply angling it until I get the best no reflection result using the camera on my phone. Here is an example, it isnt too bad for a quick picture. I took this pic in 10 seconds and could try to improve it: put a white card background behind the book for example.

20211218_174544.jpg

Edited by Artboy99