• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ValiantFans.Com Publications
2 2

4 posts in this topic

In the dark years of Valiant, the Valiantfans website was able to publish a few comics.

Does CGC grade these? 

1st Comic is Solar Man of the Atom #10.  The book has a new cover by Don Perlin and the interiors have the preliminary pages to the original Solar 10 along with a few unpublished pages along with five pages of interview with Shooter and Perlin about the Eternal Warrior, the Geomancers and the book itself.   It also has a new (original?) back cover by Chris Schons.   It also came with a metal Valiantfans sign.   I don't know what the print run was on this but I know it was limited. 

2nd Comic is limited at 50 copies due to the accompanying backing board featuring unpublished Turok art.  Would this be designated as a File Copy?  What evidence would CGC require in order to be satisfy this?  

Has anyone ever asked about grading things like these?  I did not see these particular books on the census. 

scan0001.thumb.jpg.f6d23317c5e2eda4164c2d347b6bebe1.jpg

scan0002.thumb.jpg.6737612d57e632af268c8d02bd4ebe55.jpg

scan0004.thumb.jpg.6dfc4378f204fe5d3f632b530f04f862.jpg

scan0006.thumb.jpg.ba2c9b3bbd4e9091d0386fff9da2f67d.jpg

scan0007.thumb.jpg.45e673208a597ef507f3f395c9a07203.jpg

scan0009.thumb.jpg.27ea17814177bfd92f200b9f15b7957d.jpg

I'm sure @valiantman would have the answers as to print runs, since this is his site. I would imagine that CGC wouldn't grade these, since they're not an official publication by a company, but I'm not sure. Maybe they would encapsulate and note that it's not an official publication?

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

I would assume they would grade the ValiantFans Turok 10. It's a professional quality production, not some instantly copyable Xerox thing. There are quite a few other unofficial, quasi-official, and gray market books that are auntheticatable and have been slabbed. Publisher should probably be listed as ValiantFans.com, or whatever similar thing the indicia indicates.

The Turok book will be graded solely as the original Turok book that it is, however, since the only "difference" is the presence of the (unattached) backer board. Were I to submit that, though, I'd send in photographic evidence and a photocopy of the backer as evidence to request the "File Copy" notation.

Edited by Qalyar

I honestly don't know what CGC would do with these books.  The original idea for ValiantComics.com and ValiantFans.com fan projects was to bring some "fun" to collecting and pick an original book to gather 40 to 60 copies for some fresh artist/writer signatures and sell them to raise money for charity (most often, it was the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation).  As the years went on, the projects were "enhanced" with commissioned art prints, custom book marks or backer boards, the metal plate, etc., even commissioned art (or preliminary art prints) collected into book form, like the Solar #10 fan project book above.  I agree that the Turok Evolution book is not any different from a normal copy. It was simply never distributed.

They were all "fan tributes" which either didn't need permission (such as signed books) or permission for a limited number of copies for fan (such as Solar #10) so I never really considered them "official" anything, but with the gaining popularity of other "fan tributes" (like Turtlemania) and the many official-but-niche-interest comic shop-specific variants from most publishers, then I guess CGC can decide what they should be noted, if anything. lol

Edited by valiantman