• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promise Whiz #2 has the wrong back cover
7 7

56 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, catman76 said:

:facepalm:

no new emoji needed for this.  

On 12/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, catman76 said:

How the _____ did CGC miss that?

Edited by D84

If this is the original owners copy what incentive did a kid that age have to marry the wrong back cover to a book like that?  Seems a bit odd and out of place to me.  Or maybe it was common practice for kids to cut things up just to keep the cover attached to the book dunno.  Kinda cool to see the ‘tape’ has the faint image that says eagle stamps.  That’s a real makeshift patch up anyway.

Also yes, shame on CGC… again.

Edited by szav

On 12/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, szav said:

If this is the original owners copy what incentive did a kid that age have to marry the wrong back cover to a book like that?  Seems a bit odd and out of place to me.  Or maybe it was common practice for kids to cut things up just to keep the cover attached to the book dunno.  Kinda cool to see the ‘tape’ has the faint image that says eagle stamps.  That’s a real makeshift patch up anyway.

Maybe he bought used? 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, Robot Man said:

I have bumped into stuff like this from time to time. Kids read the heck out of their books until the covers split and detach. They then try to match them up often unsuccessfully. Heck, I’m sure I did it myself…as a kid.

Very troubling to see this happen by a business who’s responsible for preventing this. And, then passing through the hands of probably the largest auctioneer of comic books in the business.

Really shakes my confidence in both businesses.

BAD things going on in our “hobby” these days. Not a good thing for our long term future. 

For both CGC and Heritage to miss this is concerning.  How many other 'land mines' are at auction?

On 12/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, Robot Man said:

I have bumped into stuff like this from time to time. Kids read the heck out of their books until the covers split and detach. They then try to match them up often unsuccessfully. Heck, I’m sure I did it myself…as a kid.

Very troubling to see this happen by a business who’s responsible for preventing this. And, then passing through the hands of probably the largest auctioneer of comic books in the business.

Really shakes my confidence in both businesses.

BAD things going on in our “hobby” these days. Not a good thing for our long term future. 

Does it surprise you?

On 12/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, szav said:

:canofworms: