• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promise Whiz #2 has the wrong back cover
7 7

56 posts in this topic

The "Promise Collection' was nothing more than promise they would squeeze a buyer for every last cent by hook or by crook. Blatantly apparent but yet did not seem to bother most.

In the State the auction will be held, it appears any and all fraud perpetrated by an auction house is legal. Thus no expectation the item will be pulled, even if they do its likley book will sold privately to some rube with deep pockets.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, szav said:

If this is the original owners copy what incentive did a kid that age have to marry the wrong back cover to a book like that?

I thought the same, but my thinking is that the kid purchased it from a used book store in the mid- to late-40s.  I don't think it was his OO copy which he Frankensteined.  I'll believe that he saw that copy in a used book store, his eyes popped open with excitement, and he purchased it.  That would have been, I think, a tough copy to find in any condition during that time period in the geographic area he lived.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:53 PM, zosocane said:

I'll believe that he saw that copy in a used book store, his eyes popped open with excitement, and he purchased it.

At this stage of the game would a used book store even be carrying a shredded copy of a Whiz #2?  Was there even a market for used comics yet?  Would an original owner (still a young kid) buying everything else fresh off the stands even have need to search for a back issue, or were the back issues even well documented enough that a kid would have known it was the first appearance or an important issue?

On 12/14/2021 at 6:58 PM, szav said:

At this stage of the game would a used book store even be carrying a shredded copy of a Whiz #2?  Was there even a market for used comics yet?  Would an original owner (still a young kid) buying everything else fresh off the stands even have need to search for a back issue, or were the back issues even well documented enough that a kid would have known it was the first appearance or an important issue?

For us older guys we did things like that just picked issues that caught the eye.I think he didn't even know what he had and no reference back then either :smile:

On 12/14/2021 at 11:34 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I clicked onto the link and it does state that it is only an Auction Preview.  (thumbsu

And as such, it goes on to clearly state that the "item many not have yet been properly described or vetted" and "they are continuing to add and correct information as they approach the auction posting date."  (shrug)

Yeah so? All their auction previews always say that and always have. Has nothing to do with cgc making a huge mistake like that.

It all makes me not trust cgc even more. Why I do not understand people that buy slabs and then keep them sealed up and never see what the comic looks like inside. I could never own something that I never have seen what the most important part of the comic looks like. If they miss huge things like a wrong back cover, what could they have missed on the insides before? Especially these promise comics that seem to be all a mess grading wise and now them not even noticing a wrong back cover on one.

• Administrator
On 12/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, Transplant said:
On 12/14/2021 at 7:22 PM, Larryw7 said:

Thanks for reopening this thread, Mike.

I'll ask again.  @CGC Mike  Why was it closed to begin with?  

Seems it is open now, I am not sure it matters why it was locked.