• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CFP Comics & Services Cleaning & Pressing
2 2

47 posts in this topic

A little background: I was an avid collector at a young age, and collected until around the time I went to college in 1985. The vast majority of my collection are bronze age keys, though I've got a nice stretch of ASM pre #30. I've got quite a large number of comics as well. So I'm not really a noob at collecting. What I am a noob at is having comics pressed/cleaned & graded. 

Which leads me - at last, I know - to my question: Have any of you ever used CFP Comics & Services for cleaning, pressing and submissions to CGC? The price is nice. I've read some good reviews, though I've not been able to find many recent ones. I really like the fact that Joe, at CFP, hand delivers the books to CGC after finishing with them. Just keeping them out of the US mail for one of the steps in the process really appeals to me.

If you've worked with them before, or have any input whatsoever, please drop in let me know your thoughts.

Happy holidays, Cheers!

I'm glad to hear that. I'd read similar things and that's what prompted me to send him a stack of books earlier this year. I knew it would take a while, but the process was at least twice as long as I expected. I understand they received many more submissions than typical years. My books are at CGC now and haven't been graded yet. As a noob to the process I've been on pins and needles waiting to get my books back. I hand delivered my comics to Joe, and he seemed like a very nice guy. We were both masked, and didn't get to interact as much as I'd hoped to, but he did look over and comment on my books prior to me driving off and leaving a stack of - crazy way to go for my first time I know - 20 bronze age books, mostly keys - in a "strangers" hands. So, again, as a noob, it's been tough to not worry about my books. I'm sure once the process is over, and I get my books back, slabbed, I'll be more mentally prepared for the next batch I hand deliver. What was it Tom Petty sang? Oh yeah... The waiting is the hardest part. Cheers!

On 12/13/2021 at 8:20 AM, Extrovert said:

I'm glad to hear that. I'd read similar things and that's what prompted me to send him a stack of books earlier this year. I knew it would take a while, but the process was at least twice as long as I expected. I understand they received many more submissions than typical years. My books are at CGC now and haven't been graded yet. As a noob to the process I've been on pins and needles waiting to get my books back. I hand delivered my comics to Joe, and he seemed like a very nice guy. We were both masked, and didn't get to interact as much as I'd hoped to, but he did look over and comment on my books prior to me driving off and leaving a stack of - crazy way to go for my first time I know - 20 bronze age books, mostly keys - in a "strangers" hands. So, again, as a noob, it's been tough to not worry about my books. I'm sure once the process is over, and I get my books back, slabbed, I'll be more mentally prepared for the next batch I hand deliver. What was it Tom Petty sang? Oh yeah... The waiting is the hardest part. Cheers!

I’ve used joe for years - for pressing :peace: - and he does a great job.  I know he’s backed up and pressing times have increased

On 12/13/2021 at 8:06 PM, thehumantorch said:

I’ve used joe for years - for pressing :peace: - and he does a great job.  I know he’s backed up and pressing times have increased

If you and Greggy stop submitting books to Joe it will help the rest of us.......

I love hearing all these positive comments on Joe & CFP. Thanks. It does my heart good. I handed my books over on 3/6/21 and they're currently at CGC, none of them have been graded yet; that's about 10 months and again, they haven't even been graded yet. So, yeah - with these crazy times every part of this process is backed up. It does sound like I went with the right guy and service. Cheers!

On 12/16/2021 at 5:51 AM, Georgie123 said:

Joey is by far the best. Worth the wait. I would not send my books to anyone else. Very reachable and professional.

Yeah - he's been easy to chat with. Seems like a great guy. As a noob to the process, the wait is kicking my . I'll be more prepared for it on my next batch. I can't wait to see my 20 books slabbed. I have a large number of keys that should be in the 9.8 range, we shall see - then some older keys, ASMs especially that will likely be in the 7 to 8 range. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Cheers!

Edited by Extrovert
left out a word

I pretty much know what to expect with my books that are already flirting with a 9.8, but it's the older stuff that I look forward to seeing what Joe can do with, like this ASM, for instance. This is pre-press & clean. A good cleaning should brighten this one up. I have no idea what this will grade out as. I'm guessing around a 7, but hoping for more. The upper left corner is gnawed a bit though. Still, again, as a noob, this is going to provide me some valuable information on grading. Cheers!

SPIDEY 16.jpg

On 12/22/2021 at 8:21 AM, Extrovert said:

Just got 6 of my 20 books back from CGC. Some fared much better than I thought they would, this one though - I was thinking it would be a 7 to 7+ but I imagine that dogged upper left corner did it in. Still, glad to have it slabbed up. Joe did a tremendous job, my Hulk 180 was absolutely cleaned by a master. The raw copy had some dark marks on the otherwise white spine, and Joe got rid of them completely. So glad I took good "before" pics to compare with the slabs. You rock, Joe! Cheers!

SPIDEY 16 CGC.jpg

Show your other ones.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:21 AM, Extrovert said:

Just got 6 of my 20 books back from CGC. Some fared much better than I thought they would, this one though - I was thinking it would be a 7 to 7+ but I imagine that dogged upper left corner did it in. Still, glad to have it slabbed up. Joe did a tremendous job, my Hulk 180 was absolutely cleaned by a master. The raw copy had some dark marks on the otherwise white spine, and Joe got rid of them completely. So glad I took good "before" pics to compare with the slabs. You rock, Joe! Cheers!

SPIDEY 16 CGC.jpg

Grats on the results. Have you checked the grader's notes on the ASM? Might be worthwhile, it could list what dragged it down, though yeah, I imagine it's that corner.